Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Lightweight battery conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by c_morse
...If you're running your traditional electronics, I wager it's better to stick with a traditional battery as I did notice that this battery didn't have near the capacity to keep juice flowing to all my components.

I put the car in storage for a while, and when I took it out, the battery was completely dead. I had even unhooked the damn thing! Now the bad part of this is that when this battery loses its charge, you can't revive it. I had to order a new battery! The same thing happened with my friend's RX-7.

I think that there are much better places to save 20 pounds on a vehicle, and much better battery alternatives out there, especially if your vehicle is anything close to a daily driver still.
See this is the problem I'm running into right now, I want to install this but my car is my daily driver and I want to make sure it does not leave me stranded somewhere. I want to make sure this works first.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts
That one is up to you. You can try it out and see if it'll work. I just think there's much easier ways to save that weight. Meanwhile, you could get a nice Optima battery with spiral cell technology in it, that's going to do you just SO much better in the long run.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
**Update**

I decided to go ahead and perform this mod since I was in desperate need of a battery. It did cost me more than the regular $87 battery and I had to fabricate a custom enclosure for it not to mention it took me 90 minutes to complete, but I simply had to satisfy my curiosity and see the turnout firsthand. In the end I came up with a simpler design for the battery cradle than the one on the first page of this thread, and I ended up constructing 2 different prototypes. The final placement of the smaller battery had to be made at an angle due to the odd shape of the OEM plastic battery cradle.

The battery has been in for 11 days now and I have not noticed any difference at all in terms of the amount of juice it has when compared to the old Infiniti battery. I do not have any modifications made to my OEM stereo and don't plan on getting any extra speakers so the amount of power this battery provides is just fine. I checked the enclosure just 10 minutes ago and everything is still in place. Only time will tell if this battery keeps on working as expected so I will keep this thread updated periodically.

I'll post some pics later.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool whats the specs on the battery? cranking amps, voltage etc?

Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
if your car is a DD, does it really matter to save 20lbs on the front?

I dont think so.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^I'm sure if people are going to buy a lightweight battery, they have probably done some other form of weight reduction.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I have a handful of friends running these batteries in their DD auto-x cars. In temps above 60 and with daily use, the batteries are fine. Once temps fall below 60, they go back to the OEM sized batteries. I'd recommend NOT relocating the battery to the trunk if you ever plan on doing any sort of racing. When placing a battery in a non-stock location, you're required to have an emergency power kill on the outside of the car. Just keep that in mind.

Running the light batteries are a great way to shed weight and also reduce center of gravity fractionally.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
**UPDATE

The battery is still working just fine. We had a cold winter in TX this year and even when the temperature was in the single digits for a week straight the battery still worked ok. I did notice that it would crank a little slower than normal but it never let me down.

I use my car as a DD and the longest period it ever goes without being driven is 2 days in a row. I don't know what would happen if my car were to sit unused for a week straight or if I were to leave the stereo on for an hour straight, I guess those are things I normally avoid without putting any thought into it. I plan to buy a second car later on this year and then the G will sit unused for 3 to 5 days in a row. I will update this thread periodically or if any issues arise.

On a side note, I have another friend who uses the same battery as I do, a few days ago we had a BBQ at a friends house and he left his door open and stereo on for over half an hour. His battery died, but he was able to get it running after getting a jump from another friend.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you provide pictures of your set up?