Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Grinding while shifting from 2nd to 3rd....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Grinding while shifting from 2nd to 3rd....

Hey there fellow G riders....I was wondering if anyone has experienced the 3rd gear grind, going in from 2nd gear. I have 74k miles on my 03 G coupe 6mt, and I have been experiencing this issue since the 70k mi mark. I've taken my car in to Riverside Infinity for check ups and have always kept my car up to date with maintenace. I recently took my car for a transmission oil change thinking that it might have been the issue as Mike from Riverside Infinity mentioned it might be it. I'm thinking it might be something worse than that now, since its been about 300 miles now since the oil change.

The grinding first started in the mornings, after warming up the engine. After about 30 minutes of driving it would stop. Now, it does it almost everytime I shift from 2nd to 3rd. It's getting worse as time goes by. I have set up an appointment with Infinity for this Thursday in hopes that a solution will be made. Any feedback from you guys will be appreciated.....

Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh my god, man. let me tell you i feel your pain.

My 2003 g coupe 6mt is an early 2003 (produced in nov. 2002 i think) and it only has like 22000 miles on it. and i get the grinding into third about once every other day now. before it was like once a month but it is reeally happening more frequently now. sometimes it is a mini grind as i shift it in, and locks me out and then i can get in... but other times it is like BRRRRRRRRRRRRWRRRRRRRRRRHHHGGGGG and it is SO loud and freaks me out. I feel really bad for my car I try to shift like I always do so I don't think the way I shift has anything to do with it but... damn, it really sucks.

Subscribed to hear what others say about this.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I had this problem for like a year or so now. It's been happening to quite a few people so its pretty common. I'm not sure what it is from but i know that when i changed tranny fluid to redline, it happened less often. If i let the car warm up until the odometer reads half way between C and H, it most likely wont happen but usually if i shift fast it will happen either way. Although once it happens it doesn't happen again until the car is cold again and started up once more. (like if i go home sleep and wake up and take it out about 5 hours later) So this shows that it has a bit to do with temperature which effects fluid. Doesn't mean that its only from the fluid but maybe a better fluid will reduce this problem. Its been said before, our transmission's are probably the worst things in our cars, meaning its not poorly engineered but that they are known to go bad. (when it goes bad depends on how the car is driven, roughly or easily like grandpa). I been waiting for a solution for this for quite a while now but no one seems to know. In that case I've decided that when the money is available, i will just rebuild my whole transmission along with my motor for better performance and to solve this issue.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys . It's a horrible feeling everytime it happens and now I know I am not the only one that is experiencing this problem. I've gone to the service department @ Infiniti and they have never been able to tell me what the issue really is. I'll be taking the car in this thursday, hopefully one of the techs can ride along with me so I can show them what I'm talking about.

I will be back with more info......

Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Good to hear, I am anxiously awaiting any answers you can dig up. The weird thing for me though is that my grinding has not been related to my car warming up at all. It usually will happen out of no where after the car is warmed up. I've gone the past few days without it happening, too *knock on wood* heheh

Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 AM
If you want to test and see if temp is really the issue then drive car without warm up and shift into 3rd as you usually would but don't shift slow be cause you're worried. If you want to really test it then shift quickly but this is only if you really want to know.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
In the 03-04's the tranny typically has a problem with the synchros that go out prematurely. That is your problem. The only real solution is to get the tranny from the newer G or Z, the model number is CD009, look it up. They can be picked up fairly cheap used

Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Im with you again on that one Visibiliti... Mine does it whether warm or not. It does it almost always now....I drive about 30 miles to get to work, and as soon as I get off the freeway after driving for 40 minutes, it happens again. I heard a few members on here talking about the synchros and I made sure I let the service guy know what I was talking about. I'll make sure I ask whether the warranty I have for my G will cover this issue and if the tranny can be changed or what not. I'm eager to know this info as well....

Thanks Insane, I'll look into those tranny's. Might be cheaper than taking it to service every 3 weeks...

Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
This a very common problem across all 6MTs up until around 2008. At last count, the 6MT had 6 revisions since 2003. This issue, as well as the overall driveability of the 6MT (weird clutch take-up, noisy throw-out bearing, resistant gates, weak clutch) is what kept me from buying a 6MT. If I drove a 6MT G like I did my old 5MT Maxima, I'd be on my 5th tranny and 10th clutch by now. Take note of how many magazines over the years have noted griding in their tester 350Zs and G cars. It's pretty shocking.

With all that said, the issue is with the syncronizers. Apparently they are very weak. Grinding into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th is a rather common problem. At the onset of the grinding, changing to a slicker tranny fluid can help, but once the problem starts, it eventually gets worse. The only way fix to replace the syncros ($600+) or replace the $1800 tranny.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM
^^^
Spot on. I've seen a few of the CD009 trannies going for about $700 used plus shipping

Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Insane...any website that you can provide me so I can see the tranny's? I can't seem to find a spot that carries them where I live. Will it have the CD009 code stamped somewhere on the transmission?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
what year G and Z have the CD009 ones? i am guessing looking at my350z classifieds might prove beneficial?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I'll Def check the classifieds out...BTW those Quad Pj's look pretty darn sexy. I ran across that forum about a month or two ago. I'd love to do that mod on mine.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Alright guys today is the day.....I will be taking the tech for a little drive later this afternoon.....I'll keep you posted

Old 09-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Ya let us know, the synchros definitely seems to be the issue. Insane G, where did you find those $700 trannys, i won't be getting it now but when i get the chance, at least I'll know where to look.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Grinding while shifting from 2nd to 3rd....