Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

FAN CLUTCH Facts / Myths ONCE AND FOR ALL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
IMO, there's some flaws here.

1) You're assuming the OEM fan clutch behaves exactly like Hayden unit in terms of engagement. I can't prove or disapprove your use of this unit as an example because the G35 FSM doesn't discuss the exact specs of the unit.
Never assumed, Noticed I stated what equipment and vehicle was used for this thread

2) As a long term 03 owner, you know when the fan is fully engaged. The sucker is loud and it roars. However it is VERY rare, at least in my car, the unit ever comes on. The only time is at a long stop in 90+ degree weather. At all other times, it's not fully engaged. I don't race at the strip in 90 degree weather, only sub 70 degree weather. I've never heard the fan come on at the strip, even after hot lapping. If the fan was truly sucking out 20whp, I'd see it in the ET and MPH for sure. That would easily show at least a 2mph drop. The car is terribly consistent, whether hot lapping or running every 30 minutes. I'm usually within .5mph between all runs on the same night. MPH is HP.
The Unit is always on, you will only hear it on when the car is sitting in a long idle, or after you park the car and drive off (you'll hear it for a few seconds and then it'll slow down to it's desired range).

Why you don't see it sucking out 20whp is because you are very acustomed to the fan clutch. (Go from E-fan to fan clutch and you'll be like It's a difference.

Additionally why you don't see the ET's differente is solely because the fan clutch is VERY consistent. It works 100% of the time (as long as it has no failures), regardless of what range it is at.

3) At speed, under hood temps are very close to ambient. Therefore much of the heat coming off the radiator is going to be mixed with much cooler ambient air. The fan won't be engaged because there's no way temps are close to causing engagement. On a 90 degree day at a 30mph+ roll, I'd venture to guess the hot air blowing against the fan clutch is only 120-130 degrees. At stop, yes, the fan may engage because there's no air movement.
The fan is always engaged, ALWAYS. Not 60-80% because you are traveling therefore causing the temperature to drop. regardless your radiator temperature will be in the 150-170(depending on outside temps and rate of speed you are traveling, as well as other variables like wind direction) NO DOUBT about it.

If you believe I am truly wrong, please provide Physical DATA to make a valid post.

4) IMO, the wind resistance argument is a bit of a stretch.
How so?

ever heard of Newtons third law?
"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

It's a FACT, not an opinion.

5) I've had a UR UDP on my old VQ30 Maxima. I did numerous before and after 1/4 mile passes over the course to 2 years. I also did dynos. The UR removed ~6.5 lbs from the crank. On the dyno, there was absolutely no gain. Over the course of 40 passes on the strip, absolutely no measurable difference in MPH or ET. I've gotten it into numerous times with the owner of UR about his 2.7hp per lb claim. It's simply BS. There is so much to consider in that calculation than what he states.
Grab a bowling ball, throw is as fast and far as you can possibly throw it. (not roll but throw)

Now, grab a golf ball and do the same thing.

Which one is going to travel a further distance before it hits the ground?

The Golf ball, Why is that? I'll let you take a guess.

Weight plays a role, there is a reason you are changing your tires/wheels from 18's to 15's. Not only gearing, but weight. Look at your garage you even claimed the weight... You're not making obvious sense here Dave. You believe a lighter pulley is not going to make better performance, but you change your wheels for a beneficial performance gain.

The easiest way to prove if the e-fan conversion is truly worthwhile is to do a before and after test. Unfortunately no one has done this effectively and most everything is simply a claim or the analytical data like you've posted. This winter I may end up dynoing my G at my buddy's shop and for the heck of it, I may end yanking the mechanical fan and see what it does to the numbers. I'd hope to see a huge improvement like you claim, but my guess is 3whp to 4whp, possibly less. I think too many latched on to the e-fan gains made by the Trailblazer SS. On those trucks, the e-fan conversion is good for around 20whp, BUT the 20whp claim stemmed from a full engaged fan. Under normal conditions, the e-fan swap that LS motor is good for around 8whp. If you've seen the TBSS mechanical fan, you'd know it was much larger and much heavier than the composite one found on our G's.
Yes, one of the best ways to test this out is to actually do before and after Dyno's but all in all, math is math and it never lies. You do have to account for variables. But at the end of the day, you RARELY dyno with your hood closed. and thats then the temperature differences will REALLY make a difference with the fan clutch.

Refer to my post above about weight and pulleys.

I don't believe for a second that the mechanical fan on the G is sucking out 20whp+ even when it's fully engaged. People constantly say the 03 5AT sedans were some of the slowest, mostly because of the e-fan, but oddly the 03 5AT sedans claim some of the fastest and quickest ET/MPHs on this site. My 03 went 14.32@98mph with a Z-tube and has backed up numerous 14.3s and even almost 100mph with just the MD spacer. My strip is not great nor known as a fast track either. If I were to run at one of the quicker Northeastern tracks in the fall, I'd have no doubt this car could go 14.1-@98-99mph basically stock. Other 03 5AT sedan owners have done 14.1-14.2s at these strips in basically stock form.

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond been a bit busy. With all honesty Dave, I know you don't jump on trends. I can see you check results and validity before moving forward with something. But all in all if you strongly believe my results are inaccurate Please for the sake of EVERYONE provide DATA, not just IMO's. I appreciate your opinions sir, but prefer I prefer your wisdom.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I understand that the fan is always somewhat engaged. I'm not debating that. What you're not understanding is that the fan is putting very little drag on the accessory system when the fan isn't fully engaged. The pulley that is attached to the fan weighs .4 lbs. I'll take your word that the entire fan assembly weighs 8lbs. As you've stated, there's a degree of slippage from the fan assembly to the pulley which it's connected to. It's basically around 20% slippage. If it didn't do this, the fan engagement would be pretty aburpt. So, under normal conditions, the pulley is only having to spin 20% of the weight of the fan, not 100% of it. It's basically like adding ~1.5lbs of weight to the pulley. When the fan engages, it's a full 8lbs.

Then there's the distribution of the weight of the mechanical fan. It's centralized closely around the hub which greatly reduces rotational inertia. The further weight is from the hub, the harder it is to accelerate and decelerate the object. The same thing basically applies to larger wheels. Larger wheels have a more weight further from the hub. This impacts acceleration, braking, turning, and suspension response. This physics fact is why lightened pullies are such an absolute waste in terms of performance. It's a 6" pulley and is extremely easy for the crank to accelerate. Removing 6lbs from the pulley has hardly ANY performance impact. Like I said, I tested this very part on the dyno and on the strip. Lightened pullies are a myth. Period. There are 3rd party dynos on this site and my350z showing UR pullies gaining 0 to 2hp. That's it. Nothing close to the 6 to 8 whp gains UR touts.

Like I said, someone has already done a before and after dyno of the e-fan conversion. Unfortunately the dyno graphs are longer there, but you see my commentary regarding the lack of power gain with the conversion. Many others agreed with my stand. If this setup truly gained 20whp, the gain would have been very obvious on this dyno. The before and after dynos were literally mirror images until 6300rpms where the dyno reading started getting screwy. Regardless, there no measurable gain below 6300rpms. Read the entire thread.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...o-results.html

Like I said, the 03 cars with the mechanical fan meet or exceed the performance of the e-fan cars. I've been to the strip numerous times and I'm right there or exceeding the performance 04+ G sedan 5ATs that are getting the same 60 foots and have similiar mods. My friend's 03 sedan with the same mods as myself was seeing the same exact performance so it's proof to me my 03 isn't some freak. If the e-fan conversion gained 20whp, that easily sheds another .2 seconds and add 2mph. That would make the 03 cars the quickest 1st gen Gs out there, bettering the Revups. I'm not buying it.

Last edited by DaveB; 10-27-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Here's more information to back up where I'm coming both with regards to mythical gains of lightened pullies and the e-fan conversion. The vehicle in question is a 450whp SVT Lightning. In the article they swap on a lightened accessory drive pulley associated with the supercharger and they replace the 8lb thermo-static mechanical fan with a e-fan.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ing-power.html

Cliff Notes

1) They do a great job of trying to maintain coolant temps through the runs.

2) The pulley has absolutely no gain.

3) The e-fan gains 6whp and 4rwtq.

So there is a gain, but nothing remotely close to the 20whp you're claiming. Secondly, this is a 450whp 5.4 liter V8 blown motor and the fan on this truck is huge compared to our smaller V6 fans. I'd estimate the 5.4 DOHC fan is about 30% larger in diameter than our fan. Our VQ35's make nearly 50% less power so naturally a smaller motor likely won't see the same kind of gains. Most likely along the lines of 3 to 4whp/wtq.

Even if the e-fan conversion gained 6whp, it's not going to make much difference in the 1/4 which is what I'm focused on. Secondly, converting to e-fans put additional strain on the OEM alternator. Has anyone determined is the 03 alternator is up to the task to handling the e-fans in the long term? There have also been reports from some e-fan users of inconsistent e-fan operation and suspicisions that the fan might be coming on inadvertently at high speeds. That's neither good for the fan or alternator.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
^^ looks like a good read, I will take a view at it when I get back.... far from home ftmfl

Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Plus, your math is wrong.

24 BHP @ 25% drivetrain loss = 18 WHP, not 6 which would be 75% loss.

I've done the Efan conversion, and I believe it is a very worthwhile mod. However, it will net you maybe 6-10 HP at most. You didnt consider the DRAG associated from extra draw on the alternator which does put strain on the CRANK.

My efans weigh in at maybe 8-10 lbs. No difference over stock mechanical weight either.

As for the claim of the alternator handling it - I've got 160K miles on my car now. I have had the E-fans on for some time. I lived in Phoenix the previous 3 summers to this last one here in Vegas. 4 summers of crazy heat and no problems with the alternator or the fans.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
As for the claim of the alternator handling it - I've got 160K miles on my car now. I have had the E-fans on for some time. I lived in Phoenix the previous 3 summers to this last one here in Vegas. 4 summers of crazy heat and no problems with the alternator or the fans.
Answers that question.

Next question for you two, what about sound. Does the motor sound any different without mechanical fan (i.e. when it's not fully engaged)? With my 5AT and the windows down, I always hear a very light whirring from the engine bay that increases with rpm. Once above 2500rpms, I don't hear it. I've never determined if it's the fan or if it's the tranny pump. My guess is it's the pump because it disappears during the shifts.