Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

new stillen product...is this worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
new stillen product...is this worth it?

"new" product from Stillen....

for all you techies out there, please enlighten us...stillen hype or legit functionality?

I would assume that engine movement is negliable and using this product would be of little use. Is this a correct assumption?

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=55284&page=1

doc

Old 11-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: new stillen product...is this worth it?

a member of the forums was selling something like this a while ago. lots of people said it was useless, but if you can find him, maybe you can get more info.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 11-02-2004, 04:13 PM
"G" Spot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of like a panhard bar for your engine.
Dunno if it would make that big of a difference in straight line perfomance, but I coudl see a benefit in cornering. Maybe.

Someone buy it and let us know.

2004 G35 sedan. Silver/graphite, Premium, sport, aero package. Z-tube, K&N

Old 11-03-2004, 11:07 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Pro-1 torque damper. Works great!

My pics

Old 11-03-2004, 12:06 PM

That product like Moog said is a torque damper. It's supposed to suppress engine movement and wheel hop so when accelarating torque is not wasted and is instead redirected to the wheels where it will be put to the ground. I'm a bit skeptical of these products, especially the high price, but I have no personal experience with them so I can't say much. Another good way to rid of wheel hop off of launches imo is to replace the softer factory bushings in the motor mounts with hard poly ones. The tradeoff though is much more vibration will be introduced into the cabin since the harder mounts aren't absorbing the vibrations like the stock soft mounts. Been there, done that with my former car and wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver. Also I don't think any company has made a poly replacement set of bushings and motor mounts for our cars yet. For anyone who has used or is using the Stillen or similar engine dampner, how much vibration does it add into the cabin?

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs

Old 11-03-2004, 12:35 PM

Reminds me of a factory recall that was applied to my 1969 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate Wagon. Apparantly, the motor mounts weren't up to the stock 350+ HP, and the motor had a tendency to rip loose, sometime severing the steering shaft in the process. I actually had this happen to me before the recall, (although nothing happened to the steering), and the engine pitched onto the fuel pump, severing the fuel line. In the time it took for the Fire Department to show up, the car was sitting in a 20 gallon puddle.

Anyway, the dealed installed special straps attaching each head to it's respective shock tower. This was 34 years ago, so I guess this is not exactly a new idea.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!