Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need Tech Help With Small Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Tech Help With Small Upgrade

I have a 06 G35 coupe. To make it short, I have what I think is a dirty MAF....idle is dropping like clockwork. Doesn't die, but drops and returns to norm. No check engine light. I figure it is a dirty MAF. I have a Z-Tube with some broken brackets on the tube end...so time for a new one I guess. I figured my rigged up fix is letting unfiltered air pass and just making my G35 engine more dirty at 97k.

So...time for about a grand and a few needed replacements or upgrades. So far on the list I have plugs, wires, and obviously a new intake. I guess my question is with the intake (and any other suggestions you all might have). I thinking the Stillen intake system right now. I would LIKE to get a high performance MAF sensor with this upgrade as well but I don't know if it will be worth the money let alone that I haven't really seen any upgrades for it. Does it provide plenty for lower end mods? So I have a few questions....PLEASE KEEP IN MIND, I am not a modern motor head...give me a 327, I'm great, but with all this computer driven stuff...I struggle. I'm learning, so any advice, info, etc. would be helpful.

My questions are:
1- Is the Stillen intake an upgrade or not...don't care about the sound, but is it better than what I have?

2- Is a plenum spacer really worth it without a reflashing?

3- Should I get an upgraded MAF or just clean the one I have for now until I upgrade the exhaust?

4- Any recommendations on some spark plugs and/or ignition systems would be great too :P

Like I said...I'm very green with this new technology, computer run stuff. I don't know what the computer does exactly with the inputs, how precise it is etc...so any help would appreciated. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Sandman1278; 04-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
sounds almost like a vacuum leak. the coupler to the throttle body tight? if thats good, id try to clean the maf out and see if it helps any.

1. the stillen is one of the best as far as performance gains go and preventing heat soak. good choice.

2. the Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer is what you wanna get. the cheapest yet biggest power gainer. and no need for a retune.

3.no need for any upgraded MAF sensors, just get an oem one.

4.normally plugs are due at 105k but 97k wont hurt. get ngk iridiums. nothing else. no wires as these cars are coil on plug setup.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
so ngk iridiums are the plugs im getting....
thanks the_coupe

Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, thanks for the info coupe. Just saved me an embarrassing trip to the auto parts asking for plug wires lol! I don't think it is a vacuum leak, but who knows. It doesn't really drop much (if at all) when I kick the A/C on...weird. I said it drives fine earlier but I HAVE noticed the last few days that the MPG has gone to crap now I'm going to clean the MAF and see what happens this weekend.

Back to the coils though...is there an upgrade to those, or is it again not really needed?...no gains unless I had more mods, stuff like that?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Nope dont worry bout the coils either. Im sure you could relearn the idle air volume...it might fix ur idle problem.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by the_coupe
Nope dont worry bout the coils either. Im sure you could relearn the idle air volume...it might fix ur idle problem.
The "relearn the idle air volume"? I that another clearing/reseting sequence? I know I have to do some sequence when I reinstall the MAF after cleaning. Is that what you are talking about? Sorry again, new to this...very green here.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM
So I was doing a little research on that spacer. I see that a lot of tuner companies are a saying that the MREV2 Lower Collector should be used with this spacer for max gains. However I don't know if it will fit a 06 G35....I see it being mentioned that it is installed on a the 350Z VQ35DE 3.5-liter V-6 motors. Is the 06 G35 the same engine? I'd really like to get that with the spacer if I can.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
if you have the revup then yeah the mrev2 will give you some gains. and its the Idle Air Volume Learn function....pretty much any time you disconnect or replace the throttle body assembly. not so much the AFM but it wouldnt hurt. i do it when i change up intake kits, do plugs, takin the intake plenums off, etc.....all it does it set your idle.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Just looked up the steps...I think I'm gonna need a stop watch lol. Just from searching for parts and info, I am craving a supercharger. Its gonna have to wait till next years tax return though lol. Plus I'm not sure if it is wise to do on a 99k engine... However, from what I'm reading, it seems to be one hell of a greatly designed vehicle.

Thanks for all the help on this thread Coupe....I'm sure I will be picking your brain in the future as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Sandman, did you get the idle problem solved? If so, how?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
no biggy. im here to help with what i can!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes, I did get the idle problem fixed. Turns out, some how when the shop did some AC work on the car, they didn't tighten the clap ring on the back of the intake tube....so I was basically going without a filter for a week! It had a pretty good gap open....but all is well now. About to order my parts and still going to be replacing the current intake (K&N typhoon) with a Stillen.

I was looking at this Kinetix Racing V+ Plenum. Wondering is that may be a better option than the MD spacer. About that spacer....if someone was to have access to a plasma cutter, couldn't one make the spacer? We have one at work, wondering if our shop guys would make one for me Free 99 like

So far on the list, new plugs, new struts and shocks, MREV2 lower collector, Kinetix Racing V+ Plenum or spacer (not sure which yet), and a Stillen High Flow intake.

Anything I might be missing that would help this set up? Changes, ideas, etc? Keep in mind the rest of the car is stock.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Just ordered shocks and struts. Got a quick question though....Copper or ISO thermal MD spacer? I live in Houston...doesn't snow much, however I work in the high voltage electric industry and I am a computer Tech. I have always witnessed that copper is probably the best heat heat dissipation material out there. Am I isolating heat from the engine with the ISO or am I trying to dissipate heat from the intake air with this spacer? Do they say use copper if it snows in your area because they are trying to capture some of the heat from engine through the copper to keep the sensor from freezing? Whats the deal guys? I'm about to purchase one or the other. Would feel better about a group feed back on this one.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Basically, the "copper" refers to a copper throttle body heater that keeps the TB warm using the vacuum lines normally connected to the TB. You install the copper isothermal gasket in between the plenum and the TB, and it takes care of the rest, you never need to worry about it. If you do some reading and decide your car will never get to temps where the TB might freeze, then you don't need the copper.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
So I'm reading through the forums and find out that I DON'T have a REVUP engine....umm its an automatic. Getting a spacer and possibly the lower collector to go with it isn't really an option now right? Will it even fit? Would it even be a gain?

Sorry for my "greenness" guys...failed to mention it was an automatic. I was really disappointed too lol. Was looking forward to a little more pep in the ride

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Tech Help With Small Upgrade