Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

UR Crank Pulley: The Final Word

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2004 | 12:48 PM
It may be nasty, but in the end, it'll benefit us all. The truth will become unveiled to us all and that'll make my decision if I should send back my pulleys or not for they are sitting here on my desktop.

Old 12-27-2004 | 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
DaveB throws down the gauntlet! $100

I have to agree with DaveB here. Its probably two pullies with one floating in a layer of captured rubber. I won't bet money on it but a two part pully would make sense simply because the damping effect would be much more efficient for a given size and mass.

I have a band saw for sectioning
Well, my last post on this thread either got deleted or I hit the preview instead of submit

Anyway, my unscientific, but arguably effective, means of sticking something sharp into the slot only to have it hit something at about 1/8" leads me to think that this is a good wager. It also doesn't hurt that you (daveb), a self-proclaimed expert on this issue:
1. didn't know that there are different pulleys for the vq (mistake conceded)
2. argued (for a while at least) that reducing the rotational mass of the pulley does not improve performance against me and the laws of physics (Kerry'd this one)
3. weighed something that was 4.2 lbs, which is obviously not the pulley in the G that weighs ~7 lbs. (mistake not-conceded).

I would love to go 4/4. The only problem is that I plan on re-installing my oem pulley before selling the car so destruction of mine is not an option. Is there anyone out there that doesn't plan on re-installing the oem pulley, willing to get it sectioned? I can do it in my shop and I'm willing to pay for shipping to me.

Old 12-27-2004 | 01:23 PM
|
I'd send you mine but i might be doing the same as you al503.

Anyone else have a stocker crank pulley that they DO NOT need now and forever?
Hell i'll split the shipping cost with you al503.

Old 12-27-2004 | 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by lucidazn
It may be nasty, but in the end, it'll benefit us all. The truth will become unveiled to us all and that'll make my decision if I should send back my pulleys or not for they are sitting here on my desktop.
I agree wholeheartedly. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my hands on an extra one and we can put this to rest either way.

Although, if the rubber goes through the entire pulley, I will probably keep mine on since no one seems to have had a single failure with the ur pulley. I have no doubt that if there was/will be a failure, it will be posted on one or more of the forums at which point, I'll decide whether to keep it on.

Old 12-27-2004 | 05:45 PM
ive got an extra crank pulley that i bought. PM me.

Old 12-27-2004 | 05:53 PM
Mind if I ask why you have an extra one?

Old 12-27-2004 | 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by al503
I agree wholeheartedly. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my hands on an extra one and we can put this to rest either way.

Although, if the rubber goes through the entire pulley, I will probably keep mine on since no one seems to have had a single failure with the ur pulley. I have no doubt that if there was/will be a failure, it will be posted on one or more of the forums at which point, I'll decide whether to keep it on.
Someone show Kevin Pierson (KPierson) this thread. He'll probably go out into his garage, hack up his pulley off of his bad engine, and post photos tonight.
He's got 2 engines, a Super Charger that he's not going to use, a TT on the way... He's got to have a sacrificial pulley somewhere in all of that mess...

Old 12-27-2004 | 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by nuttyprof
ive got an extra crank pulley that i bought. PM me.
Not to sound like a cheapass, which I probably am, but I'm looking for a donation (besides the shipping) from someone that isn't going to use their's for certain.

Old 12-27-2004 | 07:44 PM
Not to sound like a cheapass, which I probably am, but I'm looking for a donation (besides the shipping) from someone that isn't going to use their's for certain.
true dat, not like free, but we can trade off our other stock parts, i.e. amber corners, rubber pedals, emblems...
just a suggestion

Old 12-27-2004 | 08:33 PM
|
neffster, are u willing to donate your extra pulley for the good of the G-community?

what a great guy *nudge nudge*

Old 12-27-2004 | 10:31 PM
I will probably keep mine on since no one seems to have had a single failure with the ur pulley. I have no doubt that if there was/will be a failure, it will be posted on one or more of the forums at which point, I'll decide whether to keep it on.
There's a 99.9% chance you're not going to have a failure with the UR UDP. Like I said earlier, the VQ block is terribly stout with 4-bolt mains, a lower block girdle, and forged crank. There are turbo Maximas pushing 500whp and running 11s on completely stock motors. I don't know of many engines that come out of the factory as strong as the VQ-series.

My whole issue with the UDP is the performance aspect.

Old 12-27-2004 | 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
There's a 99.9% chance you're not going to have a failure with the UR UDP. Like I said earlier, the VQ block is terribly stout with 4-bolt mains, a lower block girdle, and forged crank. There are turbo Maximas pushing 500whp and running 11s on completely stock motors. I don't know of many engines that come out of the factory as strong as the VQ-series.

My whole issue with the UDP is the performance aspect.
That's a 10-4 daveb.

For argument's sake, let's say the stock pulley is ~7 lbs. Let's say the UR is around ~2 (according to your figure). That's 5 lbs. of rotational weight directly on the crank.

IIRC, you mentioned that you dropped 10 lbs of rotational weight with your lighter weight wheels and noticed a difference in performance. Perhaps you can't tell the difference with just 5 lbs. Even so, it is there and it is a real weight loss at arguably a 'better' place to lose the weight. That's my point. I dropped 13 lbs. of rotational weight with my wheels and tires but I don't know if I really noticed a difference in performance. When I put the pulley on, the effect was noticed immediately.

Old 12-27-2004 | 11:44 PM
I wonder if anybody dynoed the car before and after the pulley. I'm really interested in seeing some numbers... If not than whoever is thinking of doing this mod next should really do it if they have access to a dyno. That would answer a lot of questions

Old 12-28-2004 | 12:03 AM
jcv
Al, what you're feeling is difference in responsiveness to changes in inertial forces (da moment), it ain't horsepower. For an examples, take two different weights, tie them individually on a length of string (don't let go ).Spin the string at constant rate for each weight (or make a Yo-Yo)and then try to rapidly increase the spin rate The lesser weight responds more quickly. (Watch out, if your hand isn't dampened, you will shake your elbow to pieces ). Problem is, it also has less stored energy.

As I pondered before, duh,I also think the pulley is a two piece item that is pressed together. If you look closely at picture two from JDKman, I think you can see a separation near the middle of the outer edge of the pulley. The outer ring is the inertia ring. Cut away and let's see.

The thread from hell continues...... Hydrazine feel free to hop in here about now.

Last edited by jcv; 12-28-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2004 | 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by jcv
Al, what you're feeling is difference in responsiveness to changes in inertial forces (da moment), it ain't horsepower.
Understood. If you look at one of my many posts above, I argue the same as well.

As I pondered before, duh,I also think the pulley is a two piece item that is pressed together. If you look closely at picture two from JDKman, I think you can see a separation near the middle of the outer edge of the pulley. The outer ring is the inertia ring. Cut away and let's see.
You guys may very well be correct. The solid mass that's keeping me from digging any deeper than 1/8" could be like really, really, really hard rubber. I think we'll be able to find someone willing to donate their stock pulley and we can put this to rest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UR Crank Pulley: The Final Word