Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

unichip available for G35 and 350Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No matter what vehicle you have, we guarantee maximum power from your gas engine. On an otherwise stock, normally aspirated gas vehicle, adding the Unichip typically produces a peak power gain of between 5-9% and provides an increase at all rpm.
Originally Posted by gme2001
Its hard to extract a lot of power out of a NA 1.8L engine, the UniChip is not going to magically make a large increase in power. It depends a lot on what you start with. I have a SC Accord and they where able to get an additional 20whp and a much better low to mid range power band then what I had before, so results are going to vary depending on what vehicle you have.
So which one is it? Low RPM, Mid Range RPM, High RPM, all RPM???

I still stick by what I said earlier. NO ONE on this website of 14,000+ members is going to buy a ~$900 piggyback for NA applications UNLESS PROVEN gains can be had!!! I'm not talking about a manufacturer telling us the gains are real, I'm talking about a respected member of this forum with a modded G35 who is in no way affiliated with Unichip that is willing to do impartial testing. Until this happens, Unichip will not be getting my business or my recommendation for their product...

Old 01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still stick by what I said earlier. NO ONE on this website of 14,000+ members is going to buy a ~$900 piggyback for NA applications UNLESS PROVEN gains can be had!!! I'm not talking about a manufacturer telling us the gains are real, I'm talking about a respected member of this forum with a modded G35 who is in no way affiliated with Unichip that is willing to do impartial testing. Until this happens, Unichip will not be getting my business or my recommendation for their product...
I take it they turned you down on your request for a freebie?
My guess is some G member may just try it based on the other models' research.
Good luck though in being the chosen one.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by neffster

It depends on the car as to where the power is going to be realized. Ever car is different so the power increase will vary. On the Accord we had a much greater increase in low to mid range power because of the way the car is tuned from the factory. The Accord had an increase over the entire RPM range but had the largest increase in the lower power band.

Very true people should not buying a product that is not going to show reasonable gains for the money. Our V6P.net team works on getting new products made for the Accord and other cars and we also believe that most manufacturors should not be trusted based on their own testing. We like to do our own independent testing to make sure that the gains that are advertised are really true.

V6P.net has 11,000+ members which isnt 14,000+ but once you get past 10,000 members it really doesnt matter anymore. All information and testing will be done in time, I do hope that one of your members that you trust will buy and test a UniChip so you can see the gains that it provides and then judge if it is a worth while performance modification.

To answer someone elses question yes the UniChip can advance the timing of the car. The Accord could only run on 87 octane gas but after tuning UniChip was able to set it up so we could switch between 87 and 91 octane depending on if we where just cruising around or if we needed more power. 91 octane gives slightly better gains but not much because the timing could only be advanced 3 degrees.

-Garrett

Old 01-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey Garret, why don't you offer money back guarantee for a couple of guys here to try it out. Have them dyno the car, If they don't like the results, simply have them return it. Now that's what I call a company that stands behind their product.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by speeds5
Hey Garret, why don't you offer money back guarantee for a couple of guys here to try it out. Have them dyno the car, If they don't like the results, simply have them return it. Now that's what I call a company that stands behind their product.

What he said... if such an offer is given, I'll buy one and test it.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I will contact UniChip and see if they would be willing to do this for 1 or 2 people just to show that the results are consistent and there. I know that they where doing some testing with a 350Z club so I will see what they did with them also.

-Garrett

Old 01-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Why are people getting so worked up over this thing? I don't really think asking for discounts and hammering them with questions is the best way to test out a new product, as was already mentioned I'm sure there are several people that would be willing to just make the purchase and report their findings. Why not just be a little patient and let that play itself out. No need to start making challenges and putting people on the spot. Not saying to not ask questions, but at least not be so damn aggressive about it.

I have never used any Unichip products myself, but I also haven't heard many negatives about them so I typically like to give the benefit of the doubt and not give them a hard time until I know more. The fact that someone even came here on the forum and offered to take detailed questions is a pretty good start, no?

Last edited by copbait; 01-04-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Neff, PM sent

Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Neff,

The local tuner shop I go to is getting the Unichip hardware/software in any day now and has asked to possibly borrow my car for a few days to test the system out. I realize I have a low post count, but would the results they get with my car be considered reliable results for you? They're also supposed to be testing a 350z, but were also curious to see how the G responded to chip. I think an ECU retune will be the great equalizer between the two cars, and that's what they said they were wondering too. I'm not sure what discount if any they'd be offering me, but I'm guessing they'd give me something for the loan of my car. I'll keep you up to date as I hear more. I'm still waiting for my y-pipe to arrive and to install my crank pulley anyways, so hopefully they'll need my car after the other mods are done.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod
keep us updated!

Ed

Old 01-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by 4DrSkyline
Neff,

The local tuner shop I go to is getting the Unichip hardware/software in any day now and has asked to possibly borrow my car for a few days to test the system out. I realize I have a low post count, but would the results they get with my car be considered reliable results for you? They're also supposed to be testing a 350z, but were also curious to see how the G responded to chip. I think an ECU retune will be the great equalizer between the two cars, and that's what they said they were wondering too. I'm not sure what discount if any they'd be offering me, but I'm guessing they'd give me something for the loan of my car. I'll keep you up to date as I hear more. I'm still waiting for my y-pipe to arrive and to install my crank pulley anyways, so hopefully they'll need my car after the other mods are done.
4-door, That would be a good start but several independent people doing the testing would yield more accurate results. Another good start would be going to UNICHIP (the actual vendor) and talking to them about the SPECIFICS of their chip. The above V6P.net guy apparently is just a middle man selling a product (or a member of a forum that serves as a middle man to actual manufacturing companies). And don't ask how I know this because my answer would have to be that I called "Friends Psychic Network".

Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
4-door, That would be a good start but several independent people doing the testing would yield more accurate results. Another good start would be going to UNICHIP (the actual vendor) and talking to them about the SPECIFICS of their chip. The above V6P.net guy apparently is just a middle man selling a product (or a member of a forum that serves as a middle man to actual manufacturing companies). And don't ask how I know this because my answer would have to be that I called "Friends Psychic Network".
What seems to be your problem? A member notified me that people on this forum had questions, so I came on this board to help answer any questions people might have had. I don’t make any money off of selling these UniChips because I don’t get paid working for V6P.net neither do any of the other "workers". We are all just car enthusiasts who like to work on getting new innovative products not currently available for our cars. And if these products work for us we feel that other clubs would hopefully be able to benefit from some of the work we have already done.

-Garrett A.K.A. "the above V6P.net guy" A.K.A. "the middle man..."

Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Here are the answers to your other questions from the President of UniChip USA:

We correct the A/F ratio and timing for safe power production. Typically a conservative normally aspirated, full load A/F ratio is 12.5 – 13.2 although different engines require different settings to make the best power. A/F vary significantly with IAT and coolant temperature so what you see when the car is on the dyno isn’t necessarily what is happening on the road… and what’s happening on the road is all that really counts unless you just drive your car on a dyno. We do extensive data logged testing both on the dyno and on the road to ensure the car performs as desired on the road. What that means is unless the environmental and vehicle conditions are exactly controlled, what you see on the dyno will not necessarily be what you see on the road.

The Unichip PnP kit is compatible with all production G35 and 350Z ECU’s.

The guarantee is posted on www.unichip.us. The short answer to the “guaranteed 5% minimum” question is… no. Anybody who really understands dynos and engines can make any product look like it makes no power - or even loses power - on a dyno. In an unbiased test, the Unichip does exactly what we claim it does, and we welcome anyone who wants to bring their car into the shop to see. Nobody can legitimately guarantee specific results on a particular car since any particular car might be different unless they have tuned that specific car; what we do guarantee – as stated on the website – is no other ECU product makes more power in a fair test.

We currently have pre-programmed kits for the bolt-on parts we have seen, and we can’t produce Maps for other configurations without physically seeing them; we don’t make anything up, but rather evaluate each combination of parts on a car both on the dyno and on the road. For the G35, and 350Z, we can currently support the K&N CAI, the Injen CAI, an Injen dual cat-back exhaust, either of the intakes with the exhaust, and either of the intakes with both the catback and headers. Maps beyond that will require either a custom tune at a qualified Unichip calibrator or map development here.
If the volunteer wants to bring his vehicle to our facility for a couple of days, we’ll happily demonstrate the product on his heavily modified G35. We’ve already done the work on the stock G35 and on the stock 350Z as well.

If anyone has any other questions on this topic please let me know. If I do not know the answer I will contact the technical staff at UniChip.

-Garrett

Old 01-05-2005, 11:47 AM
It's amazing how people want to slam anyone with a product unless they get it for free. Your help here has been enlightening and the little feature to hide unwanted posters from threads you read is very helpful.. I think it's in the control panel.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
The above V6P.net guy apparently is just a middle man selling a product (or a member of a forum that serves as a middle man to actual manufacturing companies). And don't ask how I know this because my answer would have to be that I called "Friends Psychic Network".
actually, all you have to do is go to v6p.net or v6peformance.net and do a search on the unichip. no "friends psychic network" neccessary. and when you do get a chance to check out v6p.net, you can see that the unichip is discussed openly and has proven results, on accords anyways, and i'm sure soon enough on g35's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unichip available for G35 and 350Z