Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

unichip available for G35 and 350Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UniChip can't spend all day answering questions on every forum that is just impossible. I have no problem with people being skeptical if you read my previous post you would already see that I agree with everyone putting doubt on any product that claims gains without further testing. UniChip rarely if at all works with clubs anymore due to bad experiences with people saying they wanted their product and then backed out at the last minute after they had spent a significant amount of their time and money doing testing. So we are all going to have to wait till someone with a UniChip already in their car is able to independently provide a dyno.

-Garrett

2004 Manual, also what is the normal quarter mile time on this car?

Originally Posted by SixFive
Which year and model?

So the manufacturer should step up, your comments may be useful but we need a real representive apparently if we are going to get some answers or testing. 895 bucks is a lot so don't be too surprised if people are pretty skeptical. Let the guy you field questions for know we are extremely interested if they can show us the money on a project car.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by gme2001

-Garrett

2004 Manual, also what is the normal quarter mile time on this car?
For stock 6MT's, 14.2 - 14.5 sec.

-Drew

Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by SixFive
So painstaking AF tuning was required for the TS flash, THX723? That's one reason some may be concerned that they can't really glean even 10hp without going in and getting on a dyno for our complex permuation of mods. This may be great for stock only while modders may want to wait this out for a while.
The short answer is yes. No stand alones, piggybacks, or whatever magic boxes are exempt from this fact of life either. Too many mod variations and x factors to consider for this to be a one time affair ... in general. I would expect absolutely no different using the Unichip. Tuning is meant to be performed on either a load based dyno or on the road and at the minimum with a wideband AF data logger. So if you're not prepared to do and pay for either, don't expect a miracle.

I'm not in the market for a Unichip (because I already got what I want from the TS ECU), but IMHO it looks pretty decent and certainly the best 'piggy back' box I've seen.

My .02 and YMMV.

Last edited by THX723; 01-06-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by andyranck
For stock 6MT's, 14.2 - 14.5 sec.

-Drew
Thanks! Those are nice times.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Someday someone will be able to remap our ECU's on the east coast without guessing - it may take years tho!

Old 01-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm surprised Garrett is getting so much flack for basically just telling us there's a "new" piggy back option available to us (although a variation of the Unichip is already being used by APS for their Twin Turbo setup). If the cost is too high, complain to Unichip or don't buy it. Eventually someone will have some extra cash and try it out, hopefully they'll post some before and after dyno's.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by copbait
That's great, and we appreciate your trying find those answers for us, but I don't think that justifies your sarcasm or the aggressive tone in which you have used in your posts. The guy that came here is not even from Unichip and is offering his time and contacts within Unichip that can get the answers you seek, so why don't you try a little tact and courtesy and it might even expedite getting the information you desire.
Copbait, you are right. The reason for my "sarcasm or the aggressive tone in which (I) have used in (my) posts" is because I am privy to some inside information about V6P.net and how they run their business. I'm not at liberty to share this information, but I can assure you the "sarcasm or the aggressive tone" is only due to what has been disclosed to me. Sorry for typing so rudely...

HOWEVER, the point still is that V6P.net makes a BIG PROFIT off of selling the UNICHIP and if they want to come on here and "defend" their product then I'm suggesting they follow the same steps that the first company listed above laid out. Sell the product at a reduced rate, let it be independently dynoed and stand behind what ever results there are, good or bad. Since this request, someone from UNICHIP said that the gains CANNOT be seen on a dyno. This alone tells me all that I need to know...

That's all I'm going to post regarding this subject. You all can do your OWN research and come to your OWN conclusions. GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
Copbait, you are right. The reason for my "sarcasm or the aggressive tone in which (I) have used in (my) posts" is because I am privy to some inside information about V6P.net and how they run their business. I'm not at liberty to share this information, but I can assure you the "sarcasm or the aggressive tone" is only due to what has been disclosed to me. Sorry for typing so rudely...

HOWEVER, the point still is that V6P.net makes a BIG PROFIT off of selling the UNICHIP and if they want to come on here and "defend" their product then I'm suggesting they follow the same steps that the first company listed above laid out. Sell the product at a reduced rate, let it be independently dynoed and stand behind what ever results there are, good or bad. Since this request, someone from UNICHIP said that the gains CANNOT be seen on a dyno. This alone tells me all that I need to know...

That's all I'm going to post regarding this subject. You all can do your OWN research and come to your OWN conclusions. GOOD LUCK!
D*m Neff you nalied it............

Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM

I can appreciate your honesty, thanks for clarifying.

I will just add that I'm not really concerned about V6P.net or how they run their biz or even what their motivations are. What I am curious about is the Unichip product and how it might improve the performance of both stock and modified G35s. I'm not sure what your issues are with V6P, but if it is that serious then why even deal with them publicly at all. It just causes concern and confusion for something that may not even be a problem for anyone else.

In the end I think that the product will speak for itself, if it performs then people will buy it, if not then they probably won't. I know I certainly won't base my decision on just the word of one vendor, and I doubt anyone else will either.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by 4DrSkyline
gme2001,

Can you get an answer as to whether the Unichip system works with the 2004.5 cars? Last I'd read, the code hadn't been cracked yet.
Unichip, in essense as a piggyback system, does not need to crack the ECU code. By being a piggyback, it only have to make sure it is interfacing the ecu on the correct wires for intended data hence the importance of harness.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by THX723
The short answer is yes. No stand alones, piggybacks, or whatever magic boxes are exempt from this fact of life either. Too many mod variations and x factors to consider for this to be a one time affair ... in general. I would expect absolutely no different using the Unichip. Tuning is meant to be performed on either a load based dyno or on the road and at the minimum with a wideband AF data logger. So if you're not prepared to do and pay for either, don't expect a miracle.
As for as I know, Unichip for G35 and 350z were both R&D for months on both dyno, as well as data logger from daily driving.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
gme2001,

Can you get an answer as to whether the Unichip system works with the 2004.5 cars? Last I'd read, the code hadn't been cracked yet.

Thanks
Actually, it has... I think it will be available in a couple of weeks from TS, should you choose this route...

Old 01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
G Kreuzer
Originally Posted by brex
Unichip, in essense as a piggyback system, does not need to crack the ECU code. By being a piggyback, it only have to make sure it is interfacing the ecu on the correct wires for intended data hence the importance of harness.
Yes, that is correct. From my understanding ... it uses a form of MAF signal spoofing technique to the ECU in achieving the results. In many ways, it works like the APEXi SAFC, with the additoin of more sensor feedbacks (Intake temp, Coolant temp, etc.) to better map the stock ECU behavior. And again, its ability to advance timing makes it more worth while than ... say the SAFC or eManage for NA applications.

As for as I know, Unichip for G35 and 350z were both R&D for months on both dyno, as well as data logger from daily driving.
Yes, I have read about that and would certainly expected no less than that for any multiple 3D-MAP based engine management system (piggy back or not).

However, what I was implying from my previous post was the need for additional dyno/road tuning once someone get the unit. The initial R&D is good for establishing a baseline for which anyone could use to easily and safetly begin their tweaks or at the very least a form of verifying the stock program in the box is in fact working like how it was meant to. You just never know ... sometimes you could be the one who gets an odd ball car that just doesn't quite behave like the norm from the factory. A worth while insurance. Nothing is rarely plug 'n play in this gig. This isn't limited to Unichip either ... SAFC, eManage, FCON Vpro, TS ECU, etc. etc.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
G Kreuzer
gme2001,

Thanks
In addittion to Gugen's response. No 'cracking' of the ECU is required for the Unichip solution. It can be made to work with just about any modern car with any ECU. That is the nature of a 'piggyback' unit. All that is required is a good amount of dyno/road tuning time to closely map out the engine/ecu characteristic under any particular load, speed and environmental conditions.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:25 PM

You really crack me up. I've stayed out of this mostly to let the experts talk about the Unichip. But your comment puzzles me. Did we ban you from our site in the past or something?

Knowing inside info and the big secret of V6P.Net? I had to close my office door and laugh so hard I fell out of my chair for that one. There's no big secret here. Privy to how we run our business? That's a laugh. We've been running at a loss for the past year. I should know, I've personally invested thousands of dollars and have yet to see a dime.

We started out as Accord enthusiasts complaining about the lack of performance parts for our cars. Over the past 7 years, our membership has grown to over 10,000 members and expanded our offerings to cover all V6 import models. Who funds us? Our members and our vendors. Just like this site. Last year we decided to incorporate so that we could start creating products and/or convince manufacturers to make products for us. Unichip was one of the first ones to help us out, thereby creating the Unichip for the Accords AHEAD OF THE G35 and 350Z's. Why? Because we were able to organize ourselves, incorporate and push for products for our members. All for the love our our site and our members. You want to talk about making money?

When you've personally invested thousands of dollars into a web forum and have yet to see a return for a few years, then come back and talk to us about making money. Why do we do this? Ask yourself why G35driver.com is even here. Because we all love our cars and what the best products for it. Heck, I don't even own an Accord anymore and neither do many of our members. Over the past 7 years many of us have moved on to other cars but we still stay because its been like a second home to many of us.....just like G35driver.com.

Realities of doing business. Like any business, we get our products at set wholesale price. The manufacturer then advises us to what the retail price is AND what's the lowest price we should sell. This prevents huge conflicts between internet stores and vendors and generally keeps the piece for the manufacturer. When you start seeing other folks selling products for way cheap pricing, then you have to start wondering. Why? Because they are going below the recommended pricing. This ends up starting price wars and then everyone ends up losing INCLUDING the consumer because folks start going out of business. An authorized dealer that consistently violates those pricings will soon find that they can no longer get stock from a manufacturer. This is the way most business in the the car industry works. What about those super sales? Some companies need to get rid of excess stock. They either do a super sale w/ permission of the manufacturer OR, they do without and hope to not get caught. Usually when they do a super sale, they want to liquidate all inventory of that product so it doesn't matter to them if they can't get new orders....simply because they don't intend to order new ones. That's the end of my car biz 101.

Back to V6P. If anyone ever bothered to look at our original offerings to Accord owners, we had a super sale before the Unichip was officially released this past fall. This was a reward for our volunteer members who drove to Unichip and volunteered their cars for testing. A lot of V6P members stepped up to the plate to make this happen. Otherwise, we'd still be waiting for an Accord Unichip. I personally chipped in thousands of dollars to ensure that we had enough stock to cover everyone. Everything we've done was for our members and none of us investors has made a CENT off of this. Had anyone ever bothered to read our results and dynos from members? I think not, otherwise this issue about dynos and whether it works or not would have been dead ages ago.

Here it is again for those who missed it.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...t=28589&page=1

V6P members lined up in droves to volunteer their cars, time and money to make this happen. All I've seen here are b_itching and moaning about not getting a free Unichip.

How do you define independent? We have a lot of V6P members who are also G35driver members? Do you exclude the folks who are members of both their own dynos? Reduced price for testing? We'll ask...but first. WHO IS GOING TO VOLUNTEER? Bueller? Anyone? Calling G35driver members....anyone? If you are willing to pay a reduced price, and dyno the Unichip including write a full report and analysis of how your car feels before and after the Unichip (aka Butt dyno) then please PM Garrett. Am I calling you all out? Heck yes. In fact, If Unichip won't give us a reduced price, then V6P will offer to cover some of the price differentials. Oh wait....won't that ruin the independency of the test? What do you guys think? That's what V6P is offering. You want a real independent test? Then do what Consumer Report does. You go and buy a Unichip off our site for the G35/350Z (once released) and test it yourself. That way you know that you are not getting a "tricked" out Unichip for us. Then you do a dyno and write up a report. This report should include how you the car felt before and after the Unichip installation. You won't see all the gains in ANY dyno, so you will have to rely on your subject opinion. That's how reviews are done.

Some of this hate disgusts me. All we've done was to try to get products for members and offer alternatives to the other expensive options. But all we get are haters. Yes, we will make a profit. That's the nature of this business. Don't hate the player, hate the game if you must. In fact, save your money and goto Radio Shack and make your own chip and do all the testing yourself. These things aren't free so don't expect everyone to give you freebies. Unichip spent thousands of dollars developing this and our members spent their own money and time to help get a product to market. That's what V6P is offering for G35 owners as well.

The Unichip worked tremendously for the Accords and we trust that the results will be similar for the G35's and 350z's. Either way, we're all moving forward with this whether you buy or not. We'll do the same write-up that we did for the Accord Unichip once we get our G35/350Z Unichip.

So who's gonna step up to the plate? PM gme2001.

Dizzy
V6P.Net
President

Last edited by Dizzy; 01-07-2005 at 07:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unichip available for G35 and 350Z