Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Car will crank but no start :(

Old 08-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car will crank but no start :(

**RECENT UPDATE**

Ok found out what the problem is. So i pulled the plugs and i tested it for spark but nothing. No spark from any of the cylinders. All i did was take a jumper cable and clamp one end on thw threads of the plug and the other end to the negative side of the battery. And no spark.

So dose this mean i need a new crank/cam sensor?

Hey guys i have a 03 6mt g35 coupe. 68k miles. With intake and exhaust. So i expericened this problem of my car not turning over. It cranks but wont turn over. The idle is fine. (when i finally got it to turn over after a couple of tries. )No CEL. Battery is good, i have gas. I cheak the fuel pump fues also and they were good. I lossen the fuel damper a little and turned the key and fuel squirted out. So that means the fuel pump is working.

I think its either the spark plugs or a bad coil.
Last time i changed the plugs i saw oil in the cylinders.

Btw does anyone know how to cheak if the spark plugs are acualy sparking? I found this guide on youtube and i was wondering if i can use the same method as he did to check if there is spark?. Watch at (1:45)

http://

Anyone have any ideas? Please and thanks

Last edited by Xx AzN xX; 08-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Anybody have any thoughs

Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
since its a coil on plug setup its not going to be a bad coil, it would be 6 bad coils and that's unlikely. So it usually breaks down to being a bad cam or crank position sensor if none of the coils are firing. But before we get carried away lets check a few things.

First lets see if you have any diagnostic trouble codes by using a cheap $20 code reader and seeing if you have any.

If there are no codes check for spark at a plug with a spark tester. One like this is difficult to get on the plugs since they are so far down but usually works well.
Amazon Amazon
If you have no spark the usual suspects on these motors is a bad crank or cam position sensor.

If you have spark then you probably don't have fuel which could be from a bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay or fuse, or simply your ECU isn't telling the injectors to cycle. But since you say you have fuel pressure I would lean towards no spark.

Simply telling us the car turns over but doesn't fire but you had fuel squirt out doesn't give us enough information unfortunately. You will have to do even more investigation on your own first. No reason to just throw parts at it.

Hope this helps get you started.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
So it usually breaks down to being a bad cam or crank position sensor if none of the coils are firing.
This^^^

Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your reply. To test the spark plug do i buy a spare spark plug and leave the old one in the cylinder or it dosent matter? So basically that tool is generally the same thing the guy in the video is doing?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM
you can do it the same way the guy did it in the video if you dont have a spark tester or you could just ground it the something close by which is hard to do because its a COP (coil over plug) system. and well you dont wanna waste money on an extra spark plug. just use the one in the cylinder that youre checking.

and like ucimaplaya said, these cars have typical problems with the cmp and ckp. but yeah with the info youve given is hard to say. i would recommend scanning the vehicle for stored codes.

as far as your plugs having oil on them, youd wanna change your valve cover gaskets also. theres a thread on that where you can warranty it with your car under 100k miles or something like that.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Whats strange was that in the begining when it just started, it use to start up after a few tries. But now its not even starting. Could it be possible that i flooded the engine cause i tried to crank it so much? Do our cars have a clear flood mode? Thanks

Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM
No you cant flood your eng by cranking too much unless you have injectors dumping fuel or a very bad head gasket leak. And youd be smoking out of your exhaust. Idk what you mean by a clear flood mode btw. And did you check spark yet??

Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM
if its worked occasionally and now it has quit that tells me two things.
1. you probably have stored codes in the ECU which will tell you what the problem is
2. its probably going to be a crank or cam position sensor. check for stored codes

Old 08-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by SUMATIC
No you cant flood your eng by cranking too much unless you have injectors dumping fuel or a very bad head gasket leak. And youd be smoking out of your exhaust. Idk what you mean by a clear flood mode btw. And did you check spark yet??
But everytime i turn the key to the on, dosent it activate the fuel pump and brings fuel in? Thats how i somewhat tested if it was the fuel pump, because it would squirt some fuel everytime i crank.

I pulled all the plugs and dried them out. But i didnt didnt test them out cause i didnt have anyone with me.

But heres what i found that lead me to the idea.

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-do-i-s...injection.html

Old 08-26-2012, 07:07 PM
when you check for spark. check for a constant rythm/count with 4 revolutions of the crank. if it skips a spark on a revolution, it could be a crank or cam problem. though it may be intermittent, but its a way you could possibly verify it.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
if your plugs were wet when you pulled em out, it obviously means you aint getting spark. it just means that the fuel is there and without spark the cylinders, of course, are gonna be wet but not soaked. look into the cylinders for a puddle, try and get a scent and make sure that it is fuel. and if it is fuel thats filled up in there then youve got another issue, (stuck open or leaking injectors). but if its just wet (no puddle) then it is normal.

theres no spark in the cylinder igniting the fuel causing it to be wet.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Tomorrow im going to test if i have spark in the plugs. To get the fuel out the cylinders could i do an oil change? Or it dosent work like that.

Thanks for the replys

Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
don't worry... its not flooded or at least it wont be by tomorrow if it is at all

Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
It drains it self out?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car will crank but no start :(