Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Planning my build, could use some expert advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Planning my build, could use some expert advice

2005 G35 Coupe 6MT w/Rev-Up engine

I'm getting ready to start putting parts together for my build, and I have to go about it stupidly due to finances. The short back story is my current engine's got bad oil consumption and I just got retired from the Army and income is limited. So I got little time on the current engine, and not enough cash flow to do everything at once. Long term goal is a built engine with either a Soho single turbo or more likely a Greddy or APS or ... we'll see who else pops up in the meantime .. twin turbo setup. I'd like to have the option to run up to 550whp but keep it on a conservative tune in the 450whp range. I want to build for something much higher though because I know boost is addictive.

As long as I keep feeding oil in I can keep the current engine moving and I'm not driving a lot these days, so in the meantime I'm buying a used engine to tear down and rebuild so I don't have a lot of unnecessary downtime on the car.

On the rebuild I'm planning the following:
Block bored .020 over, inspected and cleaned and all that goodness
Z1 Stage 3 (or 2?) rebuild kit to replace all the stock internals as long as the crank is good. I'll get the 8.8:1 pistons because I plan to go FI down the road, I know I'll suffer a bit in the meantime, I'll just keep it stanced until I can go fast.
Ported/Polished heads with some form of cam upgrade - I need advice here on which cams
And install the MREV2 and 5/16 spacer that have been sitting in the garage for a few months.

I don't honestly know what I'm missing from the above, but that's the gist of the rebuild portion while I recover enough cash to move on to stage 2 and get FI, fuel system upgrades, engine management, etc. etc. Obviously I'll need all new gaskets, spend a ton of time cleaning and degreasing and the like, but I'm sure there's stuff I'm just not thinking of right now, so let me know what it is.

Feel free to snipe the hell out of this and tell me I'm doing something wrong or have my head up my ***, I need the feedback. It's a shitty situation but I can't do the build and the FI at the same time and I can't just wait until I blow the current engine so it is what it is.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and thank you for reading.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Why don't u save your money and buy a built short block?? Swap, drop, and roll until u save enought for the turbo.. Ipp stage 1 short block is like $2600..

Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Park the car until you have the funds to do it right the first time, even a budget build is going to be $$$... And you will double pay for labor if you build the motor first them install a turbo kit later on...

You can easily make 500whp on stock heads with boost, skip the head work and cams.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Damn really u can make that much on stock heads.. That's good to know.. I was looking at the ipp stage 1 short block and maybe a vortech for way in the future.. lol What would be the benefit of doing head work??

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM
I'll be doing the labor myself, that's not an issue. Aside from the machine work and eventual tune, that is. I thought about the IPP packages but decided against them because I want to put the engine together myself. And I'll have no core exchange to deal with and more parts to sell back later on.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:55 PM
So I may be changing a bit on the order of operations here. If I can keep the current motor going long enough, I'll build it's replacement and get the turbo setup ready to go before I swap it, then install the new motor and turbo at the same time and be done with it. It's basically only a weekend car at the moment so I won't be pushing it much and I think that's doable. If the motor dies on me in the meantime, so be it, I'll live with it, still have a daily and don't need to drive much these days.

Going about it all in one shot as Seymore suggested, how does the above build list for the block look? Anything I should be changing other than maybe not doing head work? I will be starting the engine build in the next few weeks, working out details on getting the second this week and planning on grabbing one of the Z1 rebuild kit shortly thereafter.

I'd like to go with the GTM stage two on a conservative tune so there's room to improve as I get used to boost. It seems to have more than enough capability if you believe the advertised up to 700. If I were to eventually aim that high what head work would be recommended and what else should I be looking at for the bottom end?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You need plenty of fuel. Current set-up I'm using is a single walbro 416lph. Not to mention the injectors.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Good call. I had planned a Walbro 255 (not opposed to larger) and hadn't figured out what injectors to go with, and whatever I pick I want to make sure that I'm under-stressing it so I have more than enough headroom for higher boost tunes later on. Also I would assume I'll want a fuel return system as well, which sounds simple enough in theory but isn't something I've dealt with before.

Edit: Exhaust is something I was going to address at the very end of the build while dealing with the turbo piping portion of the install. Wondering now how much sense it makes to buy a pre-made kit versus having one built locally. There are quite a few good shops in the area, being that we're in nascar country, but that's another set of problems I haven't given much thought yet.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Leksikon
Good call. I had planned a Walbro 255 (not opposed to larger) and hadn't figured out what injectors to go with, and whatever I pick I want to make sure that I'm under-stressing it so I have more than enough headroom for higher boost tunes later on. Also I would assume I'll want a fuel return system as well, which sounds simple enough in theory but isn't something I've dealt with before.

Edit: Exhaust is something I was going to address at the very end of the build while dealing with the turbo piping portion of the install. Wondering now how much sense it makes to buy a pre-made kit versus having one built locally. There are quite a few good shops in the area, being that we're in nascar country, but that's another set of problems I haven't given much thought yet.
Injector size i would ask exactly how much hp are we talking. I think there is such a thing as overkill if you buy 1200cc injectors or something like that and end up only using GT28 or 18G turbos. In a twin setup that is. Then you have to throw in your choice of software, MAF based or MAP based tuning. Spoke to a rep at uprev a while back, and he said their MAF should be good for approximately 750hp. He added the disclaimer that it was not a guarantee but it should be in that area.

Last edited by N8Deezy; 02-17-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: typo, adding info