Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

strange thumping/ticking sound at idle when warmed up...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
strange thumping/ticking sound at idle when warmed up...

hey guys, not sure if anyone has posted up something like this before, but ever since i've had my car it's been doing this (almost 2 years). has a ticking/thumping sound when warm at idle. seems to be completely random, doesn't do it when the engine is revved or anything like that, only at idle.

car is a 2004 g35 coupe 6mt with 38k miles. never had any problems with it whatsoever, burns no oil, mpg within spec, runs absolutely fine. it's just that i have no idea what this sound could be so i'm just trying to investigate.

i was looking through tsb's a while ago and came across ITB06-012 - TICKING NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA and thought it might be that, but figured i'd get some other opinions first without taking it to a dealership or ordering that fuel hose. anyone have any experience with that particular tsb that could confirm if this is my problem? anyways, the attached pic is from that tsb, and here's a short video with the sound-

happens at 0:09, 0:18, 0:33-36, 1:06-08

any help is appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails strange thumping/ticking sound at idle when warmed up...-itb06-012-ticking-noise-engine-area_page_1a.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
anyone?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same problem

Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by OkotoksG35
Hey, did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same problem
nope, not yet. i was hoping someone here would have an idea before i cave in and buy a new fuel damper hose to troubleshoot. it's been fine so far so i guess it's not a big deal but i'd still like to solve it obviously.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I understand. Well if I find out I'll let you know

Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
mine does this as well... only at idle... i just assumed it was fuel injectors. since it doesnt mess with performance or anything, i didnt think anything of it

Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought it was the lightweight flywheel that came stock. I heard someone on this forum say it's a small price to pay for a strong clutch, we get noise but in exchange for an everlasting part, or something like that. I believe some have switched to a heavier flywheel and lost the noise, but noticed a decrease in something performance-wise. Just going off of what I heard, and decided to believe.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
The stock flywheel is not lightweight. Lol. It is heavy as hell, 29lbs... It's a 2 piece flywheel to cut down on chatter. This is why buying an aftermarket "1 piece" flywheel increases chatter. The 2 piece design keeps things in balance better. But that isn't the sound this is referring to

Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stillen06coupe
The stock flywheel is not lightweight. Lol. It is heavy as hell, 29lbs... It's a 2 piece flywheel to cut down on chatter. This is why buying an aftermarket "1 piece" flywheel increases chatter. The 2 piece design keeps things in balance better. But that isn't the sound this is referring to
-feels like a dumbass-
My apologies. I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I got it mixed up with clutch chatter for some reason. MY '04 6MT also makes this sound though, so I hope we get to the bottom of it. On a brighter note, I'm nearly at 130K miles and always had the noise. No issues that'll stop the car from operating so far.

For my mistake, I tried some things on my car in my garage, so the sound was more isolated. Just thought I'd add some things for us to consider. I noticed the sound happens more often when I crank the A/C up and then turn it off. Also that the sound doesn't happen with the clutch engaged. Sort of sounds like I get the click, you hear something run, and then another click as if it turned off. So like it's on for some reason, and then shuts off. Could just be my car with the on-off thing, I couldn't really hear anything running in between clicks in the OP's video. Hope I some-what helped!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
if the noise goes away when you press the clutch pedal, then its just flywheel chatter..... 100% normal. dont worry about it... if it has gotten louder with miles, then it could be a throwout bearing

Originally Posted by ImElvis
-feels like a dumbass-
My apologies. I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I got it mixed up with clutch chatter for some reason. MY '04 6MT also makes this sound though, so I hope we get to the bottom of it. On a brighter note, I'm nearly at 130K miles and always had the noise. No issues that'll stop the car from operating so far.

For my mistake, I tried some things on my car in my garage, so the sound was more isolated. Just thought I'd add some things for us to consider. I noticed the sound happens more often when I crank the A/C up and then turn it off. Also that the sound doesn't happen with the clutch engaged. Sort of sounds like I get the click, you hear something run, and then another click as if it turned off. So like it's on for some reason, and then shuts off. Could just be my car with the on-off thing, I couldn't really hear anything running in between clicks in the OP's video. Hope I some-what helped!