Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

NWP 75mm throttle body review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:04 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
NWP 75mm throttle body review

I got one of NWP's 75mm throttle body kits. He had some great claims and good research to back up what he was doing with the project. So of corse is the conquests of continuing development of the vq platform I was hooked. I knew this would be a tough crowd, and this is why I am writing the review. Most people with this platform discredit things for no other reason than it doesn't follow the normal cookie cutter build.

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html
Dyno Sheet from NWP

For those that haven't seen it here it is. 100% Plug and Play. No tuning or portwork required. Perfectly port matched. Features a tapered bore for increased airflow!

When I received the package from NWP I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the adapter piece. Was machined beautifully, came with new hardware and additional gasket.

Install was as simple as unbolting the intake pipe removing the old tb, installing the adapter plate, new 75mm throttle body, plug in Voltage drop adapter harness, then re install intake. Defiantly a diy job with basic hand tools.

Initial Impressions: Car fired right up first try with no need to idle relearn, and a very steady idle, it didn't idle hunt like my previous tb. It was very steady.

First drive and rev ranges. The throttle response is fast and crisp. The butt dyno says that it is making power in the upper rpms, and did not feel any noticeable lost down low. It seems to be really pulling in the 5k plus rpm which is consistent with the dyno charts that I have seen from NWP. I will be doing additional testing in the next couple weeks and will eventual be doing some dyno testing with before / after and retune.

In closing, I am impressed with the upgrade and think is a very good bang for you buck that will compliment most other bolt on mods on the market. Especially those that are trying to squeeze every last drop out of there motor.

Note: If you are using t-bolt clamps and very stiff couplers you might need a larger size to accommodate the additional size of the new tb. I was able to stretch my silicon coupler over but needed a larger t-bolt clamp.

Side by side comparison of the stock vs the new 75mm Tb
Front

Rear

Installed

Last edited by GreenGoblin; 07-21-2013 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GX35SAILS_On (03-10-2024)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I found out about these last night. I'll probably order one when they come back in stock.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to get one of these along with a gtm 3" maf. I'm guessing they would work well together after getting tuned.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by arock292
I want to get one of these along with a gtm 3" maf. I'm guessing they would work well together after getting tuned.
Yes I do believe that would be beneficial. I know a couple of the maxima guys are running 3" intakes as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ive bought nwp part for my 03 maxima very good products. Looking into getting the tb for g

Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
Interesting. Ill have to get one polished lol

Old 07-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Recommend upgrading the MAF and intake tube to 3.5" rather than 3. You'll see a decent amount of extra air flow with the extra half inch. All depends of mods of course, and tuning, but if you're already running a well breathing setup on the exhaust side (particularly with good headers - long tubes are a plus here) and a non restrictive intake it only makes sense to throw more air in.

The following users liked this post:
GX35SAILS_On (03-11-2024)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing ot back for more discussion... would like to here some more opinions any else given it a go

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
love mine!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys running these with the stock tube?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good write up

Why does one of the TB's have the pipes for coolant to run through and the other one doesn't. I have a 5/16 copper iso thermal plenum spacer so I'm just wondering if that would mean I wouldn't need the copper piece anymore if I bought this TB? (sorry for the dumb question). OH and also, was there any change in sound?

Last edited by G_DiRTY5; 08-24-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: One more question!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
..... The NWP TB has the coolant pipes attached.

Last edited by herrschaft; 08-29-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
^More than likely he removed them from the original TB since you really don't need to run coolant through there. The NWP TB has the coolant pipes attached.
Ah okay so that would mean I wouldn't need the copper piece that came with my plenum spacer kit.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:41 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by G_DiRTY5
Ah okay so that would mean I wouldn't need the copper piece that came with my plenum spacer kit.
I'm assuming you're referring to the valve, its not required to have that piece installed. That valve simply gives you the option to either run it open and allow coolant to go through the TB (preferable in sub-freezing temperatures), or run it closed which won't allow the coolant to go through the TB (preferable in hot climates). Based on where you live, its up to you to decide if you want to use it or not.

Personally, I never installed the valve on my car since there was no reason to. I just connected the two coolant hoses together and bypassed the TB altogether. But I also live in an area that rarely sees freezing temperatures.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
I'm assuming you're referring to the valve, its not required to have that piece installed. That valve simply gives you the option to either run it open and allow coolant to go through the TB (preferable in sub-freezing temperatures), or run it closed which won't allow the coolant to go through the TB (preferable in hot climates). Based on where you live, its up to you to decide if you want to use it or not.

Personally, I never installed the valve on my car since there was no reason to. I just connected the two coolant hoses together and bypassed the TB altogether. But I also live in an area that rarely sees freezing temperatures.
Yea I live in Canada Eh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NWP 75mm throttle body review