Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

JWT Clutch and Flywheel - No chatter??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JWT Clutch and Flywheel - No chatter??

Hey guys,

So I finished putting in my JWT clutch and flywheel on the weekend. There is no chatter that I can hear. I read about everyone saying the car would sound like a concrete mixer and I hear no chatter at all? is there something wrong with my setup?

Also, when I push the clutch in there is a bit of a high pitched whine, it isn't loud but not sure what it is. I replaced the throwout bearing.

Also, i downshifted to 5th gear going pretty slow and was at ~1200 rpm, the car starting to shake ALOT, like the whole car was vibrating. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit*
The vibrating is coming from the back of the car, happens in 4th gear at low rpm too, the whole car vibrates and makes a vibrating sound. Is this a side effect of a light flywheel or should i be worried?

Last edited by arekieh; 10-03-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get much chatter in mine at all until after it was well broke in. As for the shaking, I'd really pay attention to that. Sounds like the clutch may be cavitating.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 AM
At least I'm not the only person that hasn't had chatter right from the start.

Its been 300-400km now and still nothing though.

What is clutch cavitation? The shaking feels like normally low rpm takeoff shuddering just amplified quite a bit. Its also gotten a lot less severe snow that I've driven it a bit more.

I have been kind of bad about following clutch break in procedures though haha.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Mine didn't start til around six hundred. What I mean by cavitation is that the clutch isn't engaging properly and bogging down causing the car to shake. Sorry, probably used the wrong word. Remember that you can't shift the same as you did with your stock clutch. Does it do this at idle or only in gear at low rpm? If it's only in gear at low rpm, try experimenting with your shifting.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Ahh so its still probably going to start. W/e I will just have to get a loud exhaust to mask it

It doesn't feel like its the clutch not engaging properly. the Shaking/shuddering/vibrating feels like its coming from the whole car.

It happens when I'm in gear accelerating at low rpm. pretty much anything below 1800 rpm

Old 10-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Is the cel on or blinking?

And the chatter only happens at idle and isn't even bad.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM
ya not too worried about the chatter, its worth it for how the light flywheel feels even if it is bad

nope no CEL, and i double checked and ran the codes just to check and no codes

Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't know what to tell you then. But if it were me, I'd pull the tranny back out and check the install. Definitely look at the flywheel.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM
damn i was hoping it was just the feedback amplified due to the new light flywheel :/

I need to pull it anyways to replace the throwout bearing again anyways, the new one I put in is whining too :/

Thanks for your help

Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
No problem. If you havent already, make sure to change the clutch pivot ball too. The stock one is pretty weak.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Yep new pivot ball is in, and I put in a new OE slave cyl too just to make sure.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Are you using a steel braided clutch line? I shoulda mentioned that.. sorry

Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Yep I do have an SS clutch line

Still doesn't really chatter, it does a bit when it warms up but not nearly as much as some of the videos of G35's with JWT's I have seen on youtube.

But my exhaust might be drowning it out now , I haven't really listened to it idling after it warms up for a while. I will tomorrow and see if its chattering.

Edit*

The whining noise is still coming from the Throwout, there has been no change at all in that sound. I think I'm going to just leave it as it is for now since the sound doesn't really bug me

Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 PM
That's really strange. Hopefully it just whines and you don't have anymore issues. From what you said tho, Def sounds like a throwout bearing. I never had any issues with my jwt setup. Until the flywheel broke lol.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 PM
Ya man, its really weird. I might tear it apart this summer again when I hopefully install a Vortech SC.

Lol, how did that happen?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JWT Clutch and Flywheel - No chatter??