Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

04 Coupe 6MT Motordyne TDX V2 & ART Pipes Install HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Coupe 6MT Motordyne TDX V2 & ART Pipes Install HELP

Hey Guys,
Been reading up on the forums and called motordyne and I'm just triple checking to see if the conflicting information I'm getting is worth remembering.

In terms of installation of the Motordyne TDX V2 & ART pipes, is it an easy bolt-on installation once the stock exhaust is taken off? I've read that someone had to space out their rear sub-frame to make it fit, and I understand that they fit a little differently for 6MT vs. Automatic Gs.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Yes to bolt on bolt off job. I had to use a few washer on rear.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Awesome thanks a lot! It says they have 8" extensions in the package, is that enough to extend the tips out pretty good? I know some people have had issues with the amount the exhaust sticks out past the rear bumper.

If not any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It bolts on fairly easy as long as all pieces are sitting in right position..the extensions are not that great, it makes it fit for our cars but doesn't allow the exhaust tips to stick out good. I'm planning to add bigger extensions soon cuz I have the titanium burnt rolled tips and you can barely see them. I want them to be a few inches out more to show them off

Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
If your G has been around salt you may need to heat up and cool the bolts to loosen them up. Attempt this BEFORE you put WD-40, PB Blaster, etc. They will be rusted up this late in the game.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a bolt on job as long as you dont have too much rust down there. There is a very good chance you will need to space the cross brace with a couple washers to avoid the pipes from banging from time to time. I used a washer plus a pressure washer in all four bolts and it did the trick.
With regards to the tips sticking out, I got the rolled Ti tips (a bit shorter than the straight cut) and you could barely see them. So I bought two exhaust adapters at my auto parts store (3in inlet 3in outlet) and they allow me to add or reduce length whenever I want. They look perfect right now.
To the arts pipe, make sure you have long extensions with you when you start the job. You will need a good 25-30" extension to get to a few bolts on the cats. Also, get a proper O2 sensor socket to remove them or you can easily messed them up. If they are too hard to remove, don't fight it, take it to a shop for them to heat the cat around the sensor and it will break loose easily. Trust me I was there.
Enjoy the new exhaust, it's the absolute best there is!

Old 04-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Awesome, yeah if got a friend with a shop so he's got all the tools there. I guess it doesn't matter what kind of 3" exhaust to get cause nobodies gonna see it?

Kind of a shame. What did you do?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
They don't need to see it. The sound it makes is absolutely wonderful. I remember the first time I heard this wonderful combo.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:44 AM
If I ask a parts store for exhaust adapters are they gonna order the same ones you got? Do you have pictures or measurements for the adapters?

Thanks again

Old 04-19-2014, 01:30 AM
Also, do I need to get my car tuned/dynoed after I install both of these or is it good to go?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FairladyBlue1
Also, do I need to get my car tuned/dynoed after I install both of these or is it good to go?

Thanks
For the adapters, I just went to the exhaust repair section and picked it up. There were all kind of sizes so I picked up the 3"in-3"out one. I'll send you pics later on.
The tune is definitely necessary if you do the Arts pipes, for the catback only is not necessary but is always good and see how the engine is running.
The exhaust is a little visible from the back (the resonators) but yes it's a shame because it looks amazing every time I put it on a lift. People are always saying how awesome it looks and ask what kind of exhaust it is?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Cubes
For the adapters, I just went to the exhaust repair section and picked it up. There were all kind of sizes so I picked up the 3"in-3"out one. I'll send you pics later on.
The tune is definitely necessary if you do the Arts pipes, for the catback only is not necessary but is always good and see how the engine is running.
The exhaust is a little visible from the back (the resonators) but yes it's a shame because it looks amazing every time I put it on a lift. People are always saying how awesome it looks and ask what kind of exhaust it is?
If I put on the exhaust and the Art pipes will it be ok for a bit? Closest dyno is 7 hours away lol. I'd rather do it in my hometown cause it would be cheaper but it all depends on if I can drive to the dyno with it all installed long distance.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2014, 02:37 PM
So the place that is going to tune my car says that I need a Haltech ECU, is this true? What would be the difference between tuning vs. not and having that set-up installed.

Know any good places/strategies to get the ECU from if its important, or places near the northern states that could have it (long shot), the closest state to me in Minnesota.

Thanks for all the help

Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
You do not need a Haltech ECU. You DO need Osiris.

PM Seymore4 and ask him about his tuning capabilities. This is your best option and your car can be tuned right in your driveway.