Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

ECU tuning option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit that I'm no expert in this particular field. I'm forwarding information given directly to me from Doug at Crawford Z and Tony at Jotech Motorsports in Dallas, Texas.

Like I said, I've had two VERY knowledgable people tell me this.

Now, there may be other purposes for the reflash, but noticing any real gains from it are probably EXTREMELY small.

Since you are out in California, it may be more convenient for you to give it a shot. However, I don't know that I'd waste my time on something so expensive and inconvenient (since I'm in Texas....removing the ECU and shipping it and being without a car or renting one) for minimal benefit.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Originally Posted by klg35
"If you are like me down here in Texas and running 93 octance, forget about it and don't waste your money"

whoa......anything you have that can back you in this?.......i'm really curious now since i was about to reflash w/t/square.....headers, crank pulley, ztube w/kn filter, removed pre-muffler and 50hp nitrous..............91 octane is the highest here in so-cal....so maybe that statement doesn't apply to us?
Actually, since you only get 91 octane, the reflash may actually benefit you BETTER. It would do very little for me since I'm already at 93 octane.

The reflash can tell your computer how to utilize the 91 octane better.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
Question: Did anyone ever figure out whether or not the timing advance is permanent?

On my 2004.5 G Coupe, I was having a problem after my header install with the rpms dropping down to ~500 or just slightly lower whenever I put the car in neutral (like when coming up to a stop light). I had the dealership try to raise the rpm on my post 10/2003 ECU and they couldn't! (This proves Gurgen was correct above) They then advanced the timing by 2 degrees and the rpms went up by about 100-150 at idle. This took care of my problem, or so I thought.

Well, as of late, the rpm drop appears to be rearing its ugly head again and I'm wondering if I hooked up the consult-II if I would get a reading of 2 degrees advanced timing or if it would have reset back to stock. Anyone care to take a guess or share an educated, factual tid-bit with us? TIA...

BTW, LokeyInfiniti installed a SAFC-II on his loaner G Coupe. He had it dyno tuned for ~6rwhp (if memory serves correctly) and he was going to have it re-dynoed a month or two after his initial dyno. I think it's time for that second dyno...
Can anyone answer the question if the timing advance is permanent?

Old 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
No one knows, not enough research has been done.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by GurgenPB
No one knows, not enough research has been done.
My initial timing has remained at 17 degrees since the day it was advanced over two years ago. Gurgen, you were there when it was done. In fact you hooked me up with the tech who did it.

Since my initial timing was advanced I've done two TechnoSquare reflashes and numerous ECM disconnects, resets, etc. Note: I've never done a battery cable shorting reflash. I was told by a very well known tuner that I could lose the extra 2 degrees of advance if I did so. Is that true? If I had a consult II I'd let you know.

As for many of the comments on this thread, my experiences certainly differ significantly from what is being said by some.

Attached Thumbnails ECU tuning option-initial-timing.jpg  

Last edited by DaveO; 12-13-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by DaveO
My initial timing has remained at 17 degrees since the day it was advanced over two years ago. Gurgen, you were there when it was done. In fact you hooked me up with the tech who did it.

Since my initial timing was advanced I've done two TechnoSquare reflashes and numerous ECM disconnects, resets, etc.

As for many of the comments on this thread, my experiences certainly differ from what is being said by some.
that's a good point... there is your proof guys. I didn't think of using the techtom to verify...dohhh!!!!!

Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Regarding timing being permanent... I already replied in previous post that mine has remained at 17 (several months now). It was advanced by tech at dealer and has been to TS twice since… it has remained 17.

I guess it depends on who says "yes" and who says "no" as to whom some people will believe.

I've previously stated that I didn’t want to contradict Gurgen and I think he knows his stuff - but mine has stayed.

There ya go... two people have had 17 degrees stick.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Regarding timing being permanent... I already replied in previous post that mine has remained at 17 (several months now). It was advanced by tech at dealer and has been to TS twice since… it has remained 17.

I guess it depends on who says "yes" and who says "no" as to whom some people will believe.

I've previously stated that I didn’t want to contradict Gurgen and I think he knows his stuff - but mine has stayed.

There ya go... two people have had 17 degrees stick.
OC

Please don't even think twice about contradicting me... a good discussion is what it's all about. It DOES stay at 17 degreees at baseline, but is it in fact advanced at higher loads? The reason that I say this is that i was told my a very experienced infiniti tech that it does NOT. Who knows though. I am VERY MUCH leaning toward beliving that it does.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
OC

Please don't even think twice about contradicting me... a good discussion is what it's all about. It DOES stay at 17 degreees at baseline, but is it in fact advanced at higher loads? The reason that I say this is that i was told my a very experienced infiniti tech that it does NOT. Who knows though. I am VERY MUCH leaning toward beliving that it does.
"Is it advanced at higher loads" - not sure but inclined to believe yes... Brian at TS hooked up his gizmos and took the car for an spirited spin and said all was as well... Car does well on top end and decent off the line.

As far a "contradicting you" - I know you're not the overly dramatic type that some are out here... I've just learned from other drama laden posts that some members read into what's being said the wrong way so I try to clarify before drama starts. I wouldn’t expect drama from you though.

Now when are we going to see your monster dyno with your new exhaust!

Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
"Is it advanced at higher loads" - not sure but inclined to believe yes... Brian at TS hooked up his gizmos and took the car for an spirited spin and said all was as well... Car does well on top end and decent off the line.

As far a "contradicting you" - I know you're not the overly dramatic type that some are out here... I've just learned from other drama laden posts that some members read into what's being said the wrong way so I try to clarify before drama starts. I wouldn’t expect drama from you though.

Now when are we going to see your monster dyno with your new exhaust!
Very soon my friend...

Old 08-29-2005, 07:02 PM
I am VERY MUCH leaning toward beliving that it does.
Interesting, I totally agree with your inclination.

The ECM constantly changes total timing in response to engine operating conditions. I've seen the total timing as high as 46-48 degrees and as low as -5 degrees depending on the engine's operating conditions.

Watching the TechTom monitor what the ECM does with total timing can be very interesting and confusing at times. I have completed many hours watching the timing, air inlet temps and coolant temps and continue to do so. The inter-relationship is quite interesting. I've observed an FI VQ35DE engine loose 25 peak horsepower when the total timing was backed off by only 2 degrees.

Last edited by DaveO; 08-30-2005 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Added the last sentence.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Great information guys. Thank you very much! Off to Lokey very soon to get the advance done.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Chiming in a bit too late here but yes, the timing advance "stuck" in my car. Lokey Infiniti promised me it would but I made them check it just to be sure. Well it said I was at 17BTDC and I asked them to reset it to 15BTDC for the Vortech install...

They gave me a tiny slip of paper that said...

TARGET IGN TIM ADJ
SET VALUE
CORRECTED IGN TIM 0deg
ADJ MONITOR
CORRECTED IGN TIM 0deg
ENG SPEED 638rpm
CRRCTD IGN TIMING
CLOSED THL POS ON
IGN TIMING 15BTDC

This assured me I was ready for the FI party to begin. BTW, I would seriously doubt a 5-10rwhp gain from this 2 degree timing advance. It *might* have given me a little nudge in the idle rpms but nothing more than that was noticable.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Anybody try the $340 CIPHER module for our cars? It supposedly has all the same capability to tweak the timing, idle, etc as the Consult II you speak of. http://www.uprev.com/products/cipher_more_N_I_GB.html