Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

ECU tuning option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU tuning option

I was told by someone who used to work for Infiniti that the technitions can make some quick adjustments to the computer, such as timing and air/fuel ratios and get out some nice horsepower. Is this true and if so what are these adjustments? I know about the reliability issue.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned
yes they can change the timing..Im trying to get my dealer to take out 2 degree's of advance for my F/I

Old 03-08-2005, 10:29 AM
They do what Technosquare does....

open the tb 100% when floored and keeps 12.5:1 to redline instead of backing to 10.5:1 after 4K

Old 03-10-2005, 05:49 PM
is this a complimentary thing or is there a charge for dealers to do this for you?

Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Have you ever got anything free at the dealership?

Old 03-11-2005, 03:01 PM
had dealer changed my auto-light setting to turn off headlights upon close of last door and they didn't charge...........point is, if dealer can adjust the parameters, it's just another option besides t/s.......and if problems arise, it can be dealer serviced without the b/s....

Old 03-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I am assuming a dealer would use the Consult II to change the ECU. Does anybody know how much it costs to buy one for personal use?

Old 03-13-2005, 02:17 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am interested in a software program as well to make my own modifications...........I searched to no avail on any information regarding this subject......

Also, If the dealer can do the same as Technosquare, why pay $500 and wait 3-4 days shipping the ECU to CA and back, plus maybe sending the ECU back to TS for another 3-4 days for additional changes? I would rather have the changes done locally to avoid being without my car.........

Old 03-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Guys,

None of what was said here is true. The only thing that is possible to be changed o the consult ii is addition or subtraction of tiing (2 degreees in each direction), and the adjustment of idle. There are some other things. like simulaton of a lower coolant temperature than actual, various test routines, shut off of the fuel pump... but NONE of them are performance related. Some even think that the tiing adjustment that is possible with the Consult II does not 'stick' in the long term, and is only for testing purposes.

BTW, idle adjustment is not even possible anymore for the ULEV2 cars (post Oct-03 manuf. date).

I really do not know where people get such faulty and outright made up information. It really contributes to a lot of confusion here on the boards.

Old 03-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by shooter
I am interested in a software program as well to make my own modifications...........I searched to no avail on any information regarding this subject......

Also, If the dealer can do the same as Technosquare, why pay $500 and wait 3-4 days shipping the ECU to CA and back, plus maybe sending the ECU back to TS for another 3-4 days for additional changes? I would rather have the changes done locally to avoid being without my car.........
This will not happen any time soon, if at all. The reason for this is the implementaion of the CAN protocol, which has never been doen before (which is also why it is so darn easy to tune all the pre-can cars, with a multitude of handheld tuning boxes/software available for the do-it-yourselfer).

Old 03-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned
What about an SAFC-II?

Old 03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Guys,

None of what was said here is true. The only thing that is possible to be changed o the consult ii is addition or subtraction of tiing (2 degreees in each direction), and the adjustment of idle. There are some other things. like simulaton of a lower coolant temperature than actual, various test routines, shut off of the fuel pump... but NONE of them are performance related. Some even think that the tiing adjustment that is possible with the Consult II does not 'stick' in the long term, and is only for testing purposes.

BTW, idle adjustment is not even possible anymore for the ULEV2 cars (post Oct-03 manuf. date).

I really do not know where people get such faulty and outright made up information. It really contributes to a lot of confusion here on the boards.
nice to have someone that knows what they are tlaking about clear stuff up. thank you.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by MrBillMartin
nice to have someone that knows what they are tlaking about clear stuff up. thank you.
NP, glad I could help.

And when I was talking about confusion I was not intending to offend anyone... just that that 's the nature of things... It's like anything else that relates to rumors, it's just that those rumors can spread much more quickly in a public forum such as this one, hence everythign said here can cause a lot of confusion and MUST be taken with a huge grain of salt...

It would really help if people posting information always disclaimed it with something like "I have only heard this and never verified it for a fact", so that people who are jsut starting out with modding are not completely derailed right off the bat.

Keep on modding, guys!

Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by XG35DriverX
What about an SAFC-II?
Here is the deal with SAFC II (from what I know about and was told by some very knowledgeable people):
It is a piggyback that works in a particularly questionable way, it spoofs the MAF signal and gets the ECU then to react in a certain way as to add/subtract fuel... I guess they did get this down to a science...However, this is a really crude way of doing things. Picture that this unit alters the injector signal indirectly by exerting its effect upstream, or before the ECU. In other words, it first gets the signal from the car's sensor, in this case the the MAF signal, "the" determinant of load in the car, and then passes on a signal to the ECU, which does it's usual calculation, albeit now based on untrue i.e. 'spoofed' data, and is non the wiser for it; it does however achieve the purpose of changing the injector pulsewidth, and hence the A/F. Some, many, may say that that's ok, and it is for many situations. But, it's not a purist's engine management solution, as there are many drawbacks to this. Aside from the obvious imprecision that comes from such a scheme, on many ECUs this affects the timing that is calculated by the ecu and is henceforth set. This is a big no no. at least for me personally.

There are other more robust piggyback systems however, that work on a more pluasible scheme. Emanage by Greddy is one example, as it does not, or at least can be set not to from what I understand, spoof the maf signal and pass it on unchanged. What it instead does is sit between the ECU and the injectors (and spark plugs, for timing) on the output side of the ecu (not the input like SAFC) and takes the signal spit out by the ECU and changes it, and then sends it to the injectors. So, for example, the ECU spits out a signal to open the injector for 7 msec, and at that particular load (MAF voltage) and RPM you wish to have more fuel and thus you have programmed that cell of the table to add, say, another x msec; so the emanage, that is now driving the injectors is opening them for 7+x milliiseconds, resulting in a richer-than-before AFR.

One thing that you guys have to keep in mind is that, on a naturally aspirated car, you make power mostly not by correctling the A/F but by advancing timing... and that cannot be down with these piggyback computers (from what I know, definitely not by emanage). I have heard, that the unichip, which seems to be a much more capable system, can adjust timing IF the optional crank angle sensor input is utilized. Emanage does not have a input for this, and since it can only take a signal sent out by the ecu, it by default can only RETARD timing, not advance (since it can only modify the signal spit out by the ecu; it can't fire on its own). For us FI people this is not an issue, as we are in business of retarding timing with boost, not advancing it. But for N/A applications, I am afraid the ONLY ECU option is a TechnoSquare reflash, where you have full cntrol of thhe ignition maps as well, and can do whatever you please.

HTH

Old 06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Florida G35 Club Premier Member
As a follow up post to GurgenPB's post, know that the E-Manage cannot subtract fuel. The option fuel injector harness does not insert itself into the fuel injector output path, it only taps it. The fuel injector harness can make the pulse widths longer, but cannot shorten the output of the stock ECU.

The ignition harness of the E-Manage is capable of adding and retarding timing (by design), but there is a limitation with the E-Manage unit itself in that (as posted) it cannot read the crank position sensor, nor the crank angle sensor, so the E-Manage doesn't know when to fire the coils. It can retard the timing, as that is a reactive state, but cannot advance it. This is a limitation that exists in Nissan vehicles that use an E-Manage. It's just a feature that isn't compatible with our cars, but it does work with other vehicles.

I will also validate everything else that GurgenPB said as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU tuning option