Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Engine replacement help 2005 g35 coupe 5at

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine replacement help 2005 g35 coupe 5at

Unfortunately my engine broke down on my '05 g35 coupe 5at. I have never undertaken such a big task as replacing an entire engine. I could use some advice on how you guys go about finding an engine and finding a shop that you can trust at a reasonable price.

I know that my engine code:is VQ35DE but other cars like the g35 sedan and 350z have the same engine but don't know if they fit. Would you guys recommend buying the engine myself online like ebay or letting a shop find the engine and replacing it? Besides mileage, is there anything else I should know about an engine before buying it? Would building a new engine be an option, is it cheaper or just make things more complicated?

I don't know any local shops and I can't tow my car to multiple shops to get a quote cause that would get expensive. What are some of the questions I should ask a shop to figure out if they are right shop to replace my engine? I'm not sure if this against the rules to ask, but if anyone knows any good shops around Chicago land area (around Elmhurst/Oakbrook) that deals with engine replacements for g35's I would appreicate a PM. Thanks!

Last edited by BrnSilk; 04-26-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in the same situation a few years ago. Luckily found a brand new crate motor on ebay for about $3k that runs awesome and was later swapped for a low compression motor. The other option is a junk yard. Sometimes its better to let a shop find you a motor, that way they can provide some warranty if the motor they put in doesn't work. Check out LKQ dot com, they are headquartered in Illinois.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nickk6:
BrnSilk (04-12-2016), Mike Holliday (04-10-2020)
Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Used engine swap for $2450 with a 61k engine 1 year parts/labor

Things I learned from getting a used engine that can hopefully help others:

1. Do your homework, look up prices of used online engines and get a rough idea how much an engine would cost. I found engines between $1k to $1.5k with mileage a bit less than 100k. I let the shop choose an engine out so they can provide a warranty but I made sure I wasn't getting ripped off in prices.

2. Call up as many shops as you can and get a quote. Have your make/model ready of your car, engine code if you know it, and your vin #. Some people even asked for manufacture date which can be found on the inside of your door frame.

3. Get a quote for a few engine options with mileage, any information about parts and labor warranty (most people willing to do 3 months parts and labor), how much labor will cost, and if they would help out with towing costs.

4. Verify everything in writing when you give them your car. I ended up putting a big down payment, about the price of the engine, after things were written out. I expected to pay +/- $200 their quote for contingency but luckily that wasn't the case.

I ended going with a shop that was thorough about everything I asked for in a quote and went up and beyond in helping me out like towing and free oil change after a month. Meet the old and new owners and they were very nice people, most shops I dealt with in the past have been pretty rude and impatient unfortunately. I didn't pay a cent more than I was quoted. I couldn't be happier and the g sounds great again! Hopefully others can have a smooth experience like I did.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrnSilk
Things I learned from getting a used engine that can hopefully help others:

1. Do your homework, look up prices of used online engines and get a rough idea how much an engine would cost. I found engines between $1k to $1.5k with mileage a bit less than 100k. I let the shop choose an engine out so they can provide a warranty but I made sure I wasn't getting ripped off in prices.

2. Call up as many shops as you can and get a quote. Have your make/model ready of your car, engine code if you know it, and your vin #. Some people even asked for manufacture date which can be found on the inside of your door frame.

3. Get a quote for a few engine options with mileage, any information about parts and labor warranty (most people willing to do 3 months parts and labor), how much labor will cost, and if they would help out with towing costs.

4. Verify everything in writing when you give them your car. I ended up putting a big down payment, about the price of the engine, after things were written out. I expected to pay +/- $200 their quote for contingency but luckily that wasn't the case.

I ended going with a shop that was thorough about everything I asked for in a quote and went up and beyond in helping me out like towing and free oil change after a month. Meet the old and new owners and they were very nice people, most shops I dealt with in the past have been pretty rude and impatient unfortunately. I didn't pay a cent more than I was quoted. I couldn't be happier and the g sounds great again! Hopefully others can have a smooth experience like I did.

Thanks for this info.
I might be getting my engine replaced soon. Aiming for a low mileage used engine.

Mine still runs fine. Just burns a quart every 500-600 miles.