Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Valve Cover + VC Gasket replaced = smoke from engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Cover + VC Gasket replaced = smoke from engine?

Hi guys... Need experienced thoughts and opinions on this problem. I've searche a few different forums and found no definitive answers for my situation.

Long story short my 03 coupe was doing fine before I changed the spark plugs. When changing, two plug wells had oil in it, both on the passenger side furthest away from radiator. The middle spark plug was soaked and the spark plug furthest back was drowning (couldn't see the spark plug itself). I started my car the next day and of course white smoke from the engine and exhaust so I bought oem replacement valve cover gasket for the right passenger side and Fel-Pro gaskets and had it replaced at a shop. After driving my car for a few minutes, white (not thick) smoke started coming out from the right passenger side. I get home and check under the hood, smoke originates from behind and below the plenum on the passenger side. There's no leaks from/on the valve cover as far as I've checked. There is a puddle of oil after parking in my garage overnight. Everything below that general area of the passenger side is covered in oil. Today, coming home from work I hear the oil burning on something, a sizzle like fresh steak on a grill, then white smoke comes from my AC/Heater vents and from my dash board inside the car. I get home and turn off my car, I hear dripping from my engine but don't see anything dripping in correlation to the noise.

Things to note:
-Mechanic didn't disconnect negative battery terminal
-I'm not sure if he cleaned the spark plugs after changing the valve cover/VC gasket
-I'm not sure if he tightened the VC by hand or with a torque wrench
-The smoke comes and goes but more often is present
-Sometimes the smoke smells like transmission fluid

What do you guys think? Leak? Valve cover/gasket installed improperly? Spilt oil still burning off? ... Appreciate any positive feedback in advanced.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
I say if you went to a mechanic then take it back