Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

I think i got water in my engine oil coolant line 2004 infiniti g35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think i got water in my engine oil coolant line 2004 infiniti g35x

My car was recently involved in a ocean flood (salt water), I really do appreciate any help!!

Last edited by burkey2013; 01-19-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Have you checked the oil?
I would drain the oil and add fresh oil and start there.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Tell them it doesn't matter if the insurance was purchased 60 seconds before an accident. Tell them they're going to cover the insurance that they are LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO COVER or you're taking them to court for damages.

Honestly salt water is almost literally the most corrosive stuff on the planet for a car, you're better off pouring battery acid on the engine compartment. If you got water in the oil it's VERY obvious, the oil turns a milky white color. It almost certainly didn't ingest water into the coolant system because that's not how the system works, that reservoir is an OVERFLOW tank and only reclaims fluid while the engine is off and cooling back down.

The damage however is probably a cracked block or heads, you placed a 250-300 block of metal into 50 degree water a rapidly cooled it which stresses and cracks metal, also possible you just crapped the electrical system temporarily since salt water is highly conductive and that starter primary positive wire was essentially straight to ground when submerged in a salt water back.

The biggest issue you will have if you do keep the vehicle is severe corrosion of literally the ENTIRE electrical system. I would turn and run from the car if it were me.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 AM
Cleric Thank you

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  12.8 KBAlright so here is the deal, you had said this
"If you got water in the oil it's VERY obvious, the oil turns a milky white color. It almost certainly didn't ingest water into the coolant system because that's not how the system works, that reservoir is an OVERFLOW tank and only reclaims fluid while the engine is off and cooling back down. "

I wanted to just clarify I think I did not describe what hose was off of the car when I looked shortly after submerging the car in Salt Water. I know salt water pretty much is going to screw everything up its only a matter of time, but if they give me the option for cheap stupid money id buy it, and drive until I cannot, its a gorgeous and fun car, I know what its been through. Anyways the hose literally comes right off the back of the OIL FILTER this literally hangs 4-6 inches off the ground. It comes right off the Engine you can see it labeled coolant hose. please check out the picture, what do you think?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by burkey2013
The car has sat at the garage, the insurance company is giving me the run around and I might either keep the car if it might be a fix I can do, they do not want to cover it due to my new comprehensive coverage purchased a day or two prior to the incident. We knew we were going to be flooded, just had no idea it was gonna be this bad. Anyways;
That is pretty funny.

You have no continuing comprehensive insurance on your fourteen year old vehicle and when a flood is predicted instead of driving your vehicle to higher ground you quickly purchase comprehensive insurance when weather reports are predicting a flood and you expect an insurance company to cover you?
Better read the fine print in your insurance policy.
Declare the vehicle a total loss and write it off on your tax return.

We recently had a blizzard in NJ. We just didn't know how bad.
Does it really matter. No!
I don't drive in blizzards.
You shouldn't drive into flood waters.

Telcoman

Old 01-17-2018, 10:50 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohhhhh the sandwich adapter coolant line came off, yes it's likely you have ingested salt water into the coolant system. If you drain/flush SOON it won't be an issue, this is almost certainly why you are overheating as well because you probably have a ton of air to burp from the system.

Fortunately the anti-corrosives in the glycol will combat a lot of the corrosion from the salt water but I would drain/fill TWICE just to be sure you pumped it all (or nearly all) out of the system. These cars are a total pain in the *** to burp air from the system so google up on how to do it, ordering a lisle funnel is highly recommended.

An improperly burped system will NOT have hot air coming from the AC vents and the engine WILL usually overheat quickly so I think that's exactly your problem. There is an air purge cap you remove on the heater core line to remove air and the rest is a complicated process of various rpms, squeezing the upper and lower hoses to mechanically work air out as well as jacking up the front of the vehicle occasionally because it helps the bubbles to "rise".

It took me 3 heat cycles (hot-cool-hot-cool-hot) to get all the air out last summer, the heater core is the worst and when it finally burps you hear a loud gurgling in the cabin, just keep the temperature and fanspeed maxed and do it in the shade so you have a little more time before the engine starts to overheat a little. Use a fan pointed at the engine to help cool it back down to COLD once heat climbs over 50% on the gauge, you need to cool the engine all the way back down to cold before the next pass.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Thank you so much, as I stated I am not exactly a mechanic by any means, If I were to attempt to pay a garage to do this, is this worth it? I will google this, not saying I cannot do it but if you are saying it is difficult, I believe you. I appreciate your help this was the only thing I could think of is salt water in the coolant system. Makes total sense. I appreciate the help. I will touch back with an update soon.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Get it to a car wash ASAP with fresh water and hose down the entire vehicle including the engine bay (which I never recommend, this is the only time I'll recommend it). The coolant flush is fairly simple but read a LOT on how to burp the air from the system. It's a pain in the ***.