Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Rattling / hissing from drivetrain?

Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe
Rattling / hissing from drivetrain?

So I got my 07 6mt G35 coupe about a month ago and when I bought it it had a just gotten a new clutch... since then I drove my 500 city break-in miles and Iíve realized Gís have a lot of clutch chatter with non-OEM flywheels, I am aware of that. However over the past couple days I have noticed a very prominent hissing noice coming from what sounds like the clutch/transmission (something drivetrain related) around 2k-3k rpms when decelerating. It is a very strange noise and only happens in that 2-3k rpm range both accelerating and decelerating but itís much more noticeable decelerating. Itís almost like a rattling / hissing noise that is quite loud and metallic, you can hear it very well when next to other vehicles or driving past walls or fences. The car feels solid and drives fine, but this noise is quite unnerving... itís very bad during initial driving like when the engine/trans is cold and gets quieter (but still quite loud) as you drive more. Anybody have ideas on what this could be? Iíd appreciate any input some of you G gurus have. Thanks

-A-A-Ron

Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 753 Likes on 697 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Did you use a new throw out bearing?

Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did you use a new throw out bearing?
Iím not sure, the clutch was replaced by a local shop about a week before I bought it. Does that description sound like a throw out bearing? I know there are some general rules that I donít know like noise when clutch is engaged = this bearing is bad, or noise when clutch is disengaged = this bearing is bad.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 753 Likes on 697 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ok I missed the part where the sound happens while driving with the clutch released. I would get the car up on jackstands and spin the tires to make sure you don't have a caliper sticking or something like that. Also look for any broken vacuum lines like the one that runs behind the throttle body down to the left valve cover for the PCV system.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ok I missed the part where the sound happens while driving with the clutch released. I would get the car up on jackstands and spin the tires to make sure you don't have a caliper sticking or something like that. Also look for any broken vacuum lines like the one that runs behind the throttle body down to the left valve cover for the PCV system.
Its most definitely not brake related, the noise is coming from the center/under the car... itís turned more into a rattling sound now, donít think it could be a broken hose but will check anyway. I really think itís drivetrain related, either a release bearing or a throw out bearing or a pilot bearing/bushing...

Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Received 93 Likes on 86 Posts
You're positive it's not the original DMF?

Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by cswlightning View Post
You're positive it's not the original DMF?
No Iím not positive, I guess I assumed that they would have replaced the flywheel but I guess they couldíve just left it. I know you canít get DMFs machined/resurfaced so they couldíve just I guess saved the money and left it. Donít know much about the shop that the work was done at... so for all I know they couldíve just reused the old bearings too...