Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Unichip Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Unichip Installation

Hello:

Last October, I took my car to a dyno and was quite disappointed with the mediocre results. If memory serves (have the results saved on disk somewhere), The dyno was ran in fifth gear and the result were 252RWHP and 235 peak torque. Regardless, I expected more than 252RWHP.

In talking with the team at Unichip, they indicated that engine components found in current high-performance cars are designed and dependant on one another. That is, the removal/replacement of one component will have a profound effect on other components. This can be either good or bad. In most cases, this is bad with the G35. As most of this is common sense for many, simply reading through the various posts at various websites shows otherwise. Back to my discussion with Unichip. I was told that by adding racepipes may have reduced my low-end torque. That is, these cars need a bit of “back-pressure” as well the same applies when replacing the OE plenum with a higher-flow plenum. What I have learned and what I am saying is that these modifications may have an adverse effect on the performance of our cars.

Today, I had the Unichip installed in my May/2004 Coupe 6MT. The folks at DetroitTuned were concerned with the “check engine” light and we attempted to install Stillen’s bypass box. According to Unichip and DetroitTuned, the “check engine” light is not only a visual irritant, but also a performance limitation. The rationale is the ECU sees a problem in airflow and is functioning improperly. Hence, a performance issue. The bypass box is a 2”x2” black square box that is spliced between the O2 sensors driver side and passenger side wiring, on the underside of the vehicle. Upon installation, we found that Stillen included the wrong schematic and we were unable to install the box. In fact, we tried calling Stillen twice and were on hold for over thirty minutes. When we were finally able to speak to someone, it was apparent that they did not care what the problem was. I am sure this was based on the fact that the purpose of our call was not to purchase something. As a side note, Stillen is an extremely incompetent company. That is, from a customer service perspective.

The installation of the Unichip was easy. In fact, there is a very good chance one could install it blindfolded. There are two maps that are enabled via an “A” “B” switch, which sits in the glove box. Apparently, the “A” switch is more conservative and is generally used if your “check engine” light is thrown or your ECU seems to exhibit abnormalities when in “B” mode. “B” mode is aggressive and used for maximum performance and those days at the track.

Here is where it becomes interesting:

Many say, depending on the application, the Unichip will produce up to 45+HP. In the Toyota Celica for example, the Unichip provides a whopping 45HP compared to a maximum of 20HP for the G35. When I drove home, I did not see any difference in performance in both “A” and “B” mode. I drove 45 miles on the same expressway before and after the Unichip installation and I did not sense, or feel any minute difference in low-end torque or the entire RPM band. The vehicle drove the same. I cannot emphasize this more! In fact, I turned off the vehicle, and disconnected the battery terminals and waited ten minutes. After which, I reconnected, and continued my drive. Again, I “felt” absolutely no difference in the behavior of the vehicle. Prior to the installation, both Unichip and DetroitTuned assured me that there would be a “noticeable” improvement. However, this is not the case. If the Unichip has added 20+HP to my car, perhaps it is noticeable at higher speeds. To reiterate, I traveled at all various speeds including and up to 100+MPH and I did not feel a bloody difference.

Because we wasted so much time on the telephone with Stillen, we were unable to run a few laps with the portable dyno. In addition, we spent about an hour trying to figure the wiring convention of the O2 sensors. Again, the schematic that Stillen provide was very different and referenced very different wiring colors than what was found under my car. Nevertheless, DetroitTuned has a mobile dyno that operates in the same manner as a “fixed” DynoJet. Apparently, the results are guaranteed within 1HP of a traditional DynoJet. Regardless, we felt is would be a waste of time running the car without correcting the “check engine” light problem. More than likely, we would have received flawed results. Therefore, I scheduled a run next week. I hope that those clowns at Stillen clarify the wiring issue for the last time. In the meantime, I sent Joe of Unichip my personal unscientific opinion that the Unichip is a no-go from a G35 performance perspective. However, I realize that the Unichip is fully programmable and when working with the right people, they can create any map (optimization). I will let you people know how it goes. Because this little item is going for almost $900.00, it is important that we keep our thumb on this product.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by realdieu; 03-26-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:41 PM
That is some good info regarding both Stillen and the Unichip. Keep us updated!

Old 03-19-2005, 10:34 PM
You are right on. I am certainly not going to write-off Unichip. They are very kind people to communicate with. I did run on a dyno last fall and I was at 255 HP. What I need to do now, is get a quality run with the Unichip. The folks at DetroitTuned.com and Unichip insist that my Stillen race pipes are the problem. They are telling me that the stock or high-flow catalytic converters provide backpressure that the VQ needs. I really have no idea what the hell that means but it certainly contradicts how the test pipes are marketed. However, before I tear them out and purchase a set of high-flow cats, I want Unichip to prove it. I really do not understand how Stillen’s test pipes cause a reduction in HP. Though, Stillen as a company stinks, I cannot see how they market them as adding HP when in fact they reduce performance on the G35. I will find out next weekend…

In the meantime, I will run the car tomorrow and test both A and B map settings again. Maybe the car needs rest!

Originally Posted by Bazz
Yes please do. I was considering the Unichip piggyback over the TS reflash. I like the idea of a piggyback ECU mod. I think before you can write-off the Unichip you really should have a dyno pull done. Hopefully you have a baseline pull before the U-chip install to compare against. I have heard nothing but good things about the U-chip. Granted the VQ motor seems to be tuned to the max, with the U-chip not giving the impressive gains seen on other cars. 20 HP for $900 just isn't worth it IMO but I would see about getting it tuned on a Dyno based on the mods you currently have. I think HP gains are going to be minimal if you are NA. I think more impressive gains are to be found if you are planning to go FI in the future...

Last edited by realdieu; 03-19-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by realdieu
You are right on. I am certainly not going to write-off Unichip. They are very kind people to communicate with. I did run on a dyno last fall and I was at 255 HP. What I need to do now, is get a quality run with the Unichip. The folks at DetroitTuned.com and Unichip insist that my Stillen race pipes are the problem. They are telling me that the stock or high-flow catalytic converters provide backpressure that the VQ needs. I really have no idea what the hell that means but it certainly contradicts how the test pipes are marketed. However, before I tear them out and purchase a set of high-flow cats, I want Unichip to prove it. I really do not understand how Stillen’s test pipes cause a reduction in HP. Though, Stillen as a company stinks, I cannot see how they market them as adding HP when in fact they reduce performance on the G35. I will find out next weekend…

In the meantime, I will run the car tomorrw and test both A and B map settings. Maybe the car needs rest!
Please post your Opinions on all your mods.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:38 AM
The only thing I can see in Unichip's favor is that APS uses them for their twin turbo setup. The JWT TT coming out is supposed to have a custom piggy back solution, so it'll be interesting to see if they will make it available seperately and if there are any gains.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI,

Our cars have 2 sets of O2 sensor's, 1 set IN the engine & 1 set in the cats. The set IN the engine gives feedback to the ECU. The set in the cats is there only to throw a check engine light in case the cats are not working properly. The do not send any info the the ECU. And when you add any plenum or intake mod. your engine MAY run lean(to much air), but the ecu can normally adjust for this. my 2 cents

Old 03-26-2005, 10:17 PM
This afternoon, I spent 4 ½ hours with Detroit Tuned working on the Unichip.

Detroit Tuned compared the “custom” maps that Unichip provides (Injen CAI + Headers + C/Back) and found that the stock maps are almost identical to the Unichip maps. The only difference between the Unichip and stock maps were a handful of small value changes at higher RPM’s. I assume this is the reason why the Unichip had no effect when it was installed last week. As a result, Detroit Tuned attempted to modify the maps to address my vehicle’s configuration.

The modified maps produced a maximum gain of 5 hp (262 RWHP) and 10 lb torque (239 Peak Torque). However, adjusting the values of the maps was a mixed bag. That is, depending on the map values, HP would drop slightly and torque would increase slightly or visa versa. Therefore, the challenge was to build a map that balanced both hp and torque across the entire RPM band.

Please see the enclosed graph.

Please note, the enclosed graph does not reflect the changes/improvements to the low-RPM mapping. As well, the graphs are SAE J1349 corrected wheel horsepower and pound/feet.

I have learned quite a few things today. Unichip cannot build a “one size fits all” solution/maps. Without capable and enthusiastic tuners, the Unichip is no different from the “Tornado fuel and performance enhancer” for $69.95. In addition, I am disappointed in Unichip’s generous performance claims and I quote: “100% of the available power from your vehicle’s engine, across the entire RPM band, 100% of the time... Guaranteed.” I would like to see Unichip be a little more forthcoming and inform the potential customer that results “may vary greatly.” In addition, I am concerned by the limited selection of aftermarket components Unichip tested to develop their maps. Further, the cost for the added 5 hp and 10 lb torque is almost ridiculous to justify at $1,400-$1,500 including loads of hours in tuning, diagnostics, and dyno time. Did I mention hairloss?

The final piece of this puzzle is a day at a chassis dyno that offers a Wideband O2 sensor. This will allow us to refine the maps that were built today. I hope that these refinements improve on the results found today. The runs we did today were conducted via a portable computer plugged into the OBD II connector. Consequently, if the chassis dyno produce no better results, I will send it back. Referencing the enclosed graph, I simply cannot see the “guaranteed” results that Unichip claims on their website.

Also, if you people see something that I do not, please let me know. I have looked at this data frontwards, backwards, sideways, upsidedown and I am having an extremely difficult time justifying this purchase.

Thank you for your time!

Attached Thumbnails Unichip Installation-graph.gif  

Last edited by realdieu; 03-27-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow....

Any chance of returning the Unichip? That could go down as the most expensive 5hp ever, especially after you add the bill of dyno tuning!

Old 03-26-2005, 11:22 PM
I sent Joshua of Unichip the results this evening. I am really looking forward to talking with him tomorrow.

In addition, enclosed is graph comparing my Unichip results with the results found on Unichip's website. Again, referencing Unichip's numbers, it is improbable that CAI, Headers, and C/Back's could generate 309 hp and 288 lb torque. By the looks of the results, it appears that Unichip may have obtained these incredible results at the flywheel. That is, the tests were conducted internally and the 2003 G35 never touched the pavement. As I am speculating, I do know Unichip’s results are incorrect.

Originally Posted by KPierson
Wow....

Any chance of returning the Unichip? That could go down as the most expensive 5hp ever, especially after you add the bill of dyno tuning!

Attached Thumbnails Unichip Installation-graph1.gif  

Last edited by realdieu; 03-27-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Banned
My modem compressed graphics when it downloads them, and it has made your base HP number the same color as the background, so I can't see it. Your torque numbers look very similar from one run to the other, without multiple dyno runs I wouldn't trust the gains.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:09 AM
I made the images smaller.

My modem compressed graphics when it downloads them, and it has made your base HP number the same color as the background, so I can't see it. Your torque numbers look very similar from one run to the other, without multiple dyno runs I wouldn't trust the gains.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned
Thank you!

The graphs almost look identical! Without multiple dyno runs (3 with, 3 without for example) it would be hard to judge if you really have ANY gains at all. What you see on the graph could just be variations caused by heat or some other non-unichip factor. Truthfully though, without the A/F plots its hard to see whats going on. It would be nice to see if the Unichip actually smoothed out the A/F ratio or if it basically left it unchanged (which I would assume). Have you asked Unichip if they will help cover some of the dyno tuning? From my perspective (for what its worth) I would consider you a Unichip guinea pig and I would think that they would go out of their way to make your installation successful, especially considering how many Unichips sales are pending your results!

Old 03-27-2005, 10:04 AM
You raise some valid points. To date, I have thoroughly complied with Unichip’s requests. I have sent my vehicle to a diagnostic shop, new maps created, and by next week will have both mobile and chassis dyno’s results under my belt. However, it was Unichip’s request that I replace my Stillen racepipes for a set of high-flow cats. The last thing I am going to do at this time, is dump another $500 on a set of HF Cats to soothe Unichip. Regardless, I believe it is safe to say that my adding a set of HF Cats will not add an additional 47hp and 45 lb torque. Alternatively, put my results near those found on Unichip’s website. To reiterate, I feel that the folks at Unichip are very approachable and always available. As you had stated, I would like to see Unichip step up to the plate and extend a little gratitude. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt in these cases.

Thank you!

The graphs almost look identical! Without multiple dyno runs (3 with, 3 without for example) it would be hard to judge if you really have ANY gains at all. What you see on the graph could just be variations caused by heat or some other non-unichip factor. Truthfully though, without the A/F plots its hard to see whats going on. It would be nice to see if the Unichip actually smoothed out the A/F ratio or if it basically left it unchanged (which I would assume). Have you asked Unichip if they will help cover some of the dyno tuning? From my perspective (for what its worth) I would consider you a Unichip guinea pig and I would think that they would go out of their way to make your installation successful, especially considering how many Unichips sales are pending your results!

Old 03-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Banned
the LEAST they can do is provide you with a free Unichip... that should help offset the costs of installing and tuning it (and replacing performance parts to make IT happy!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unichip Installation