Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

The ECU Resetters, Grounding Wire Believers were right!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrippenX
Soon-to-be- G35X owner this Wed -- A buddy of mine here has already ranted about this grounding kit. I must say I am rather skeptical, but if he's convinced then it's worth my while to try it :-D I'm hoping to be as pleased as everyone else :-)
Ranted? Do I really sound like that much of a madman?

Old 04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by lucidazn
You can just remove the negative battery terminal and stomp on the brake to reset the ECU? Don't you have to to touch the negative and postive terminals together?
That's what the last post of the thread in the FAQ said when Sean printed it out. I'm not sure exactly what is reset, but if you unplug the throttle body the ECU "get's lost". It doesn't know whether the butterfly valve is open or closed. By unplugging just the negative terminal (not touching it to the positive) then pressing the brake pedal, the ECU re-learns the Throttle Body default position.

I suppose this is just as good as any other ECU reset method but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, it worked for our purposes and I thought I'd share.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks. I think I'll give it a try, my car feel sluggish after I got into my accident. Bent two Volk LE35T's, broke two controls rods in the back, one in the front and bent my rear subframe. *sigh Everything is fine now except the subframe. Anyone know how much that will cost to straighten? Sorry to hijack =P

Old 04-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Wow, just found your post, Neffster! This is certainly a bit of a turn-around for you! I respect that, and have always respected most of your opinions on mods (though you've always been honest about your biases).

So, are you going to at least try GroundingGear for yourself? With your obsessive nature about testing some of these mods, your feedback would be interesting. I started out as a skeptic as well before I tried them. I know that I felt the difference even when I switched over to GroundingGear from the other 2 H-G kits that I had.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:29 AM
ckg35,

NO. I am not going to put the octapus on my G. I really don't need a "smoother" shift or a "snappier" shift with my 6mt. Plus, I'm one who believes that the grounding wire kit makes the engine compartment look "cluttered". They're just not my cup of tea but I just wanted to state that for the 5AT's there seems to be a benefit that I cannot explain and I just wanted to clear the air.

Again, when I'm wrong I don't mind admitting it.

Old 04-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neffster
ckg35,

NO. I am not going to put the octapus on my G. I really don't need a "smoother" shift or a "snappier" shift with my 6mt. Plus, I'm one who believes that the grounding wire kit makes the engine compartment look "cluttered". They're just not my cup of tea but I just wanted to state that for the 5AT's there seems to be a benefit that I cannot explain and I just wanted to clear the air.

Again, when I'm wrong I don't mind admitting it.
There seem to be many that have 6MTs that are just as positive about this mod, so I don't think you're only going to benefit from the shifting aspects of it.

My friend with the 6MT equipped Z certainly seems to feel that it's made a difference, and he, like you, was a big skeptic.

But I can't argue with your comment about the look of certain mods being very subjective. Personally, I can't stand the look of the Crawford plenums, especially with the earlier versions, but I'm certain you'd disagree.

Anyway, going from a total "this can't possibly do anything" to "this does something, but not for me", is a big step.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi, Im new to the forum and can't seem to send a pm to Gordgee in regards to the GG. Is there any other way to contact him? Or if you see this Gordgee please give me a shout if you get the chance, I'd like to order the 10 wire kit for a 05 5at G35 coupe..

thanks
Son

Old 04-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Oh here's my contact info:

saifa619@hotmail.com

Old 04-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Skkyy
Hi, Im new to the forum and can't seem to send a pm to Gordgee in regards to the GG. Is there any other way to contact him? Or if you see this Gordgee please give me a shout if you get the chance, I'd like to order the 10 wire kit for a 05 5at G35 coupe..

thanks
Son
Skky,

You cannot PM until you have a minimum of 5 posts. Post a couple of more times and then a short time later, you will be able to PM Gord. I will send him a PM and let him know you will be contacting him.

He is doing a 10 wire for me right now.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
Some of you have waited a LONG time to hear this from me, but you guys and girls were right all along.

Just today I came to one MAJOR conclusion... The 5AT G35 and the 6MT G35 are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMALS!!!

After G35Sean installed his z-tube, Crawford Headers, Crawford Cats and Crawford Plenum he did a dyno and gained about 7 rwhp. We could not believe what had happened. We went for a ride in his coupe on 2 different days and he put over 300 miles on his car and the mods just did not work!

After basically removing the plenum and reinstalling it, tightening the throttle body, removing and reinstalling the hoses, bleeding the air out of the coolant system and even trying to tighten the bolts on the headers we were almost down and out. Then I asked Sean to print out the quick ECU reset in the FAQ section.

Long story short, we removed the negative battery terminal on Sean's 2003.5 5AT and then pressed the brake pedal ~5 times (until it got very stiff). We then hooked up the battery terminal and went for a ride... OH MY GOSH!!! The beast awoke!!! Sean's car now kicks major butt!!!

Also, after the plenum install the Infiniti Dealership did not hook up Sean's grounding wire kit correctly. After Sean fixed the wire locations I did notice his shifts (even from the passenger seat) felt much quicker and more snappy, just as he had been saying all along. The hesitation seemed to be reduced and it wasn't a placebo effect IMO.

So, to all of you who preached the gospil of ECU Resets and Grounding Wires on 5AT's... YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG.

The funny thing is that on the 6MT my car learned the header mod IMMEDIATELY. It also responded to the cats and plenum IMMEDIATELY. I can't explain this phenomenon, and had I not experienced it myself I still would not have believed it.

So... I owe many of you an apology for spreading mis-information. I've definitely learned a life lesson from this experience and as I've said before, am not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

Thanks for reading.
Mods do work. I'm with ya.