Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

The ECU Resetters, Grounding Wire Believers were right!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ECU Resetters, Grounding Wire Believers were right!

Some of you have waited a LONG time to hear this from me, but you guys and girls were right all along.

Just today I came to one MAJOR conclusion... The 5AT G35 and the 6MT G35 are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMALS!!!

After G35Sean installed his z-tube, Crawford Headers, Crawford Cats and Crawford Plenum he did a dyno and gained about 7 rwhp. We could not believe what had happened. We went for a ride in his coupe on 2 different days and he put over 300 miles on his car and the mods just did not work!

After basically removing the plenum and reinstalling it, tightening the throttle body, removing and reinstalling the hoses, bleeding the air out of the coolant system and even trying to tighten the bolts on the headers we were almost down and out. Then I asked Sean to print out the quick ECU reset in the FAQ section.

Long story short, we removed the negative battery terminal on Sean's 2003.5 5AT and then pressed the brake pedal ~5 times (until it got very stiff). We then hooked up the battery terminal and went for a ride... OH MY GOSH!!! The beast awoke!!! Sean's car now kicks major butt!!!

Also, after the plenum install the Infiniti Dealership did not hook up Sean's grounding wire kit correctly. After Sean fixed the wire locations I did notice his shifts (even from the passenger seat) felt much quicker and more snappy, just as he had been saying all along. The hesitation seemed to be reduced and it wasn't a placebo effect IMO.

So, to all of you who preached the gospil of ECU Resets and Grounding Wires on 5AT's... YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG.

The funny thing is that on the 6MT my car learned the header mod IMMEDIATELY. It also responded to the cats and plenum IMMEDIATELY. I can't explain this phenomenon, and had I not experienced it myself I still would not have believed it.

So... I owe many of you an apology for spreading mis-information. I've definitely learned a life lesson from this experience and as I've said before, am not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by neffster; 04-02-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey ya Neff,

The ECU would catch up if you will after driving some number of miles. After making flow mods, you'd want to drive hard for those miles... but a reset is a quicker way to get there for sure.

The grounding is without a doubt a good thing. The 5AT you FEEL a diff in the shifts, but I assure they offer improvement in the 5MT as well.... I won't go all post crazy here, as I explained it in another thread (the Nismo grounding witre thread).

This is my area of knowledge, so i know what they can do, and I have the equipment to prove it.

It is always good to see someone 'experience' the difference and say so. Just as I was able to learn from your info/dyno on Z-tubes.

Nothing like good data...

Old 04-02-2005, 08:31 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Am I reading this right? Crawford plenum + headers + cats + Z-tube = 7 WHP gain? My next mod is likely to be the Crawford cats.

I've done dynos of ECU resetting before and after. Minimal changes if any.

BUT, that doesn't mean it might help. Doesn't the ECU have 3 modes? My ECU may have already been in the most aggressive mode to begin with.

Any plans on getting that car back on the dyno after the ECU reset?

Old 04-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Sickone
Hey ya Neff,

The ECU would catch up if you will after driving some number of miles. After making flow mods, you'd want to drive hard for those miles... but a reset is a quicker way to get there for sure.

The grounding is without a doubt a good thing. The 5AT you FEEL a diff in the shifts, but I assure they offer improvement in the 5MT as well.... I won't go all post crazy here, as I explained it in another thread (the Nismo grounding witre thread).

This is my area of knowledge, so i know what they can do, and I have the equipment to prove it.

It is always good to see someone 'experience' the difference and say so. Just as I was able to learn from your info/dyno on Z-tubes.

Nothing like good data...
I will be able to give my .02 worth soon, my 10 wire GG was shipped from Gord today

Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 PM
G Kreuzer
That's good to hear Neff.

I can't speak for the grounding wires. As for the ECU reset, it is (and never was) a guarantee for improved performance. It's sole intended purpose is to insure the ECU to starting from scratch, which is the state that is the most aggressive with respect to power output and least favorable wrt reliability (relatively speaking). If your ECU is already at a state at which minimal conservation variables are in force, performing an ECU reset will not likely get you anything worth noting. If however, due to particular variables and circumstances the ECU has accumlated a significant amount of conservation variables, you will have notice a more sizable improvement after a reset.

The bottom of the line is ... do an ECU reset to achieve maximum potential. Also note, it will take approx. 4-5 full power (WOT) runs after a reset for the system to quickly establish a baseline that minimize active knock feedback timing retardation (a major source of temporary engine power reduction).

So, how much more power was observed w. that car after all said and done?

Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by THX723
...So, how much more power was observed w. that car after all said and done?
A substantial amount! Sean is going to re-dyno at the 2nd Annual CFL Dyno Day, the first Saturday in May with the rest of us. We are going to have several stock cars dyno for relatively good comparison results so the actual (approximate) gains will be revealed relatively soon.

Also, the ~7rwhp gains that were initially read from the dyno were WAY OFF! I don't understand why the ECU reset worked, but it definitely did.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:57 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Those of us with Gord's 10 wire GroundingGear have been enjoying the improvement while the naysayers have been bad-mouthing it for quite a while. It's great to hear one of the major doubters do a 180! Without a doubt, the Grounding Gear improves the driving experience! Gord also demonstrated an increase of HP with the addition of GroundingGear........

Old 04-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neffster
Also, after the plenum install the Infiniti Dealership did not hook up Sean's grounding wire kit correctly. After Sean fixed the wire locations I did notice his shifts (even from the passenger seat) felt much quicker and more snappy, just as he had been saying all along. The hesitation seemed to be reduced and it wasn't a placebo effect IMO.

So, to all of you who preached the gospil of ECU Resets and Grounding Wires on 5AT's... YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG.

So... I owe many of you an apology for spreading mis-information. I've definitely learned a life lesson from this experience and as I've said before, am not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

Thanks for reading.
Sean actually has a 7-Wire GroundingGear™ Custom Series 5AT System that he got back in Jan '04. It wasn't until later that spring that I finished the R&D on the full 10-wire package for the 5AT which makes a significant difference over the 7-wire System in both the AT response as well as the throttle & engine response (both 5AT and 6MT).

I'm glad you've finally felt at least some of this for yourself, neff. My hat's off to you for being open to it. I go through the same thing a lot with the OEM Dealerships, and it's always great when a hardcore skeptic is converted!

Old 04-03-2005, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=Gordgee]Sean actually has a 7-Wire GroundingGear™ Custom Series 5AT System that he got back in Jan '04. It wasn't until later that spring that I finished the R&D on the full 10-wire package for the 5AT which makes a significant difference over the 7-wire System in both the AT response as well as the throttle & engine response (both 5AT and 6MT).

Where can I get information to purchase the gounding kit for my vehicle? As a Newbie I can not PM anyone.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Sean actually has a 7-Wire GroundingGear™ Custom Series 5AT System that he got back in Jan '04. It wasn't until later that spring that I finished the R&D on the full 10-wire package for the 5AT which makes a significant difference over the 7-wire System in both the AT response as well as the throttle & engine response (both 5AT and 6MT).

I'm glad you've finally felt at least some of this for yourself, neff. My hat's off to you for being open to it. I go through the same thing a lot with the OEM Dealerships, and it's always great when a hardcore skeptic is converted!
Yeah, I definitely owe Gordgee and the rest of you guys an apology. It's tough for me to understand how this works without any scientific backing but somehow it does. Hopefully Gordgee will overlook my skepticism and posts of the past. Now I'll do my best to help him and his quest to get the word out that the grounding wires (at least for the 5AT's) are a worthwhile expense.

Thanks again for reading.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I installed the kit on my 05 auto and immediately found a much better response with the manumatic mode.

I still need to perform the ECU reset. so im not going to post much else till thats done.

wish gord has a few more pictures on his directions. however me as a no mechanical guy finished the install.

ppp

Old 04-04-2005, 09:45 AM
My god hell I think hell just froze. LOL THe 5AT is a unique and special animal.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Newbie here

Soon-to-be- G35X owner this Wed -- A buddy of mine here has already ranted about this grounding kit. I must say I am rather skeptical, but if he's convinced then it's worth my while to try it :-D I'm hoping to be as pleased as everyone else :-)

Old 04-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I could write for hours on use/need for grounding - but if you simply do a little looking on line you'll find enough.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:21 PM
You can just remove the negative battery terminal and stomp on the brake to reset the ECU? Don't you have to to touch the negative and postive terminals together?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The ECU Resetters, Grounding Wire Believers were right!