Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Riddle me this...resetting ECU vs Driving hard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Riddle me this...resetting ECU vs Driving hard

What's the benefit of resetting the ECU vs just driving the car hard? If you drive hard for several days will the ECU take this into account and adjust accordingly providing the driver more power. What if you reset the ECU drive the car hard and then baby the car for a few days......will the car become passive?

Old 07-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Essentially what you said is correct. I drive primarily fwy (baby car) and can definately tell a differance when I reset the ecu. Shifts are harder and faster at higher rpms and it seems faster overall.

Old 07-09-2005, 03:37 PM
I take local roads to work everyday so I reset once in awhile to get the lead out.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which method do you use to reset the ECU? Thanks.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:26 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by amg35
which method do you use to reset the ECU? Thanks.
I find using the pedal method best, it's fastest and you don't lose your presets for the radio and seats, as well as zeroing the trip-o-meters.
Check out our DIY/FAQ for ECU RESETS
C.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:13 PM
I was thinking about doing that in a little while actually..

Is it bad to reset the ECU a lot?

Old 07-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Gsedanman
I find using the pedal method best, it's fastest and you don't lose your presets for the radio and seats, as well as zeroing the trip-o-meters.
Check out our DIY/FAQ for ECU RESETS
C.
The Pedal method however doesn't completely reset the ecu either. So its not a full reset. If you still want a full reset its best to disconnect the battery overnight, or disconnect both battery terms and short them together (not the batt terms on the batt itself the wires that come from the car short those together), this will drain the power out of the car and do a full reset.

Old 07-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Battery disconnect o/n (at least 12 h). SInce I got Grounding Gear I haven't been able to do the pedal method whereas b4 I had not trouble. Go figure.

Last edited by Xman; 07-09-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I think you guys give the ECU too much credit. I don't think it's as smart as some people want to believe. I've owned my G for 7 months now and never reset the ECU. I didn't reset the ECU for the Z pipe and the car ran 14.4s.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I think you guys give the ECU too much credit. I don't think it's as smart as some people want to believe. I've owned my G for 7 months now and never reset the ECU. I didn't reset the ECU for the Z pipe and the car ran 14.4s.

Just my opinion.
+1

I've read and researched this "learning ECU" theory and have found nothing definitive. While I believe the ECU can adapt at a given moment for how you are driving - i.e. adjusting fuel/air, timing etc. - I find it hard to believe that it will adjust itself to your driving style and then require a reset to be "refreshed."

Could someone point me to literature that explains this process?

Old 07-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB

Just my opinion.
Well I just reset my ECU today after installing my Ztube, and my car felt like it gained some life back into it. Definitely more response and wants to pull to redline with ease now. A ECU reset will make a difference. It is a known fact on the G35 it does work.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

It is a known fact on the G35 it does work.
Not trying to be a dick, but a known fact based on what? What people here say? By the seat-of-the-pants meter?

I'm still looking for a reputable source to confirm ths function of the ECU and explain how it works.

It seems that if this were true, a PC could learn your habits and perform better when performing the tasks you perform most often, just as it's claimed that this car can adapt to individual driving habits and be 'pre-disposed' to serve.

I find it more likely that the ECU adjusts on the fly to suit driving style just as in any other car. If the ECU requires a reset to 'clear' its memory, then why does a 'hard driver' get better gas mileage if they choose to drive conservatively? Why does my gas mileage decrease if I run my car harder? I didn't reset my ECU - it adapts to my driving style automatically.

As for better performance after a ECU reset after adding mods, it makes a little more sense, although I would imagine the addition of an intake, exhaust, plenum spacer, or whatever will be felt immediately (albeit a limited increase hp increase) regardless of an ECU reset.

If anyone can direct me to 'proof' for lack of a better word, I'm very anxious to read how it works..

Old 07-10-2005, 01:06 PM
When I had an auto, over time it became very doggy. I reset the ECU and the car was then much more aggressive and able to chirp the tires when shifting from first to second. It most certainly does work.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Premier Member

Fact based on the history of this forum and the service manual on how the ECU learns. This has been discussed 100x in the past and verterans on this site know the ECU needs a reset. You have only been here since Feb 2005. You don't know the history of how the G35 ECU works. I suggest do some research on the forum as well as read the service manual. (not being a dick or anything)

On my 2004 G35 I had to reset my ECU to get my 21 mpg again city driving. Or it goes to 19 mpg after a while, especially if driven hard. I can't get even 19+ driving like a granny without a ECU reset. The ECU learns the new data, it puts it into the closed loop mode and its saved. When your not in closed loop mode, it uses optimal ECU, but when in closed it used what it learned to perform its best at that time. It won't rewrite the close loop mode info without a ECU reset.

It's in the service manual. Others can explain it better than I and so does the history of this forum.

Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Not trying to be a dick, but a known fact based on what? What people here say? By the seat-of-the-pants meter?

I'm still looking for a reputable source to confirm ths function of the ECU and explain how it works.

It seems that if this were true, a PC could learn your habits and perform better when performing the tasks you perform most often, just as it's claimed that this car can adapt to individual driving habits and be 'pre-disposed' to serve.

I find it more likely that the ECU adjusts on the fly to suit driving style just as in any other car. If the ECU requires a reset to 'clear' its memory, then why does a 'hard driver' get better gas mileage if they choose to drive conservatively? Why does my gas mileage decrease if I run my car harder? I didn't reset my ECU - it adapts to my driving style automatically.

As for better performance after a ECU reset after adding mods, it makes a little more sense, although I would imagine the addition of an intake, exhaust, plenum spacer, or whatever will be felt immediately (albeit a limited increase hp increase) regardless of an ECU reset.

If anyone can direct me to 'proof' for lack of a better word, I'm very anxious to read how it works..

Old 07-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by kysrsoze
When I had an auto, over time it became very doggy. I reset the ECU and the car was then much more aggressive and able to chirp the tires when shifting from first to second. It most certainly does work.
Your auto chirped the 1-2 shift?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this...resetting ECU vs Driving hard