Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clokwork
I agree with this. Im not against the product as I have stated before. I am very curious about it actually. DaveB is catching hell because as he stated, a lot of people arent thinking for themselves. I agree that some people are on bandwagons. Im not calling anyone out. This is just a fact with many reviews and discussions on products. Minus all of the flaming, I've liked the discussion/data gathering/results so far.
I agree with clokwork about the bandwagon, i think what DaveB is doing is actually good for the community. constructive criticism can never hurt, and hes reasoning are educated guesses. I dont think you guys should be so hard on him for expressing his oppinion. I mean some people are harrassing him, its just not needed. It sure dosnt hurt to hear some educated speculations, good or bad.
I will be waiting patiently for this mod to come out, and hopefully the results are as claimed. And i will be converted. What I know so far sounds pretty promising.

And to DaveB, I feel like you setting the shiftpoint at stonecold 7000rpm is flawed. I understand your argument about the lack of gain if the shift point is to be around that rpm. However, shiftpoint is not a dead thing set in stone right? As the powercurve changes after the mod, you can shift at a lower point to take advantage of the areas where theres big gains. You do loose some rpms in this case, but you should be able to take advantage of the power gain. or am i missing something here?

Old 11-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by terryw
And to DaveB, I feel like you setting the shiftpoint at stonecold 7000rpm is flawed. I understand your argument about the lack of gain if the shift point is to be around that rpm. However, shiftpoint is not a dead thing set in stone right? As the powercurve changes after the mod, you can shift at a lower point to take advantage of the areas where theres big gains. You do loose some rpms in this case, but you should be able to take advantage of the power gain. or am i missing something here?
It's dependant on so many factors (what the mod does to the powerband, different gearing, shorter/taller tires/etc), it would be hard for me to tell you one way or another unless I could see the changes and calculate them in.

Working with the data I have, it does appear that the calculated shift points listed below are ideal. I could get an even better grasp on the shift points if I had real 100rpm incremental data.

Ideal shift points, Rev-Up with special mod or without

1-2 6900rpms (ideal would be closer to 7,300)
2-3 6900rpms (ideal would be closer to 7,100)
3-4 6700rpms
4-5 6500rpms

Shifting earlier than these calculated points will most likely hurt performance because the wtq in the current gear is exceeding the available wtq in the upshift gear which isn't ideal for acceleration. Like I stated earlier, with the 6,900 limiter, wtq in 1st is ~644wtq@6900 and the tq@shift entering 2nd is ~557wtq. Technically, you're dropping out of your powerband because the available wtq in 1st is still exceeding the available wtq in 2nd gear. Unfortunately, you don't have a choice because of the rev limiter. If you moved the shift points back a few hundred rpms in an effort to find more wtq in 2nd, it won't happen. The wtq in 1st will continue to grow even larger and easily exceed the available wtq in 2nd. In a nutshell, if you calculated the wtq in every gear and plotted each specific gear graph within the same X/Y axis, where each graph intersects would be your shift ideal point.

Don't forget that the wtq you see on the dyno graph is multiplied by the gear ratio. I think it's pretty hard for people to fathom the notion that in 1st gear, a G35 6MT is actually making close to 900wtq at certain points.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
Absolutely no flame meant - i just want a clarification here: What is an independent dyno compared to a non-independent dyno? I want to make sure I am on the same page with what you mean.

Thanks
Besides different manufactures( mustang dyno, dynojet etc...) there are numerous variables (temp., humidity etc...) without the exact same dyno at Infiniti under the exact same conditions as Infiniti you would not be able to compare your hp vs factory hp #'s accurately.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by jwg35c
Besides different manufactures( mustang dyno, dynojet etc...) there are numerous variables (temp., humidity etc...) without the exact same dyno at Infiniti under the exact same conditions as Infiniti you would not be able to compare your hp vs factory hp #'s accurately.
Ok I understand what you mean. I think *most* people though try to compare their dynos either to previous dynos of other cars (again variable would come into play) or compare to other dynos of the other cars being done at the same dyno on the same days. By your definition there would be no valid dynos as I don't think there are any of us with the option of having Infinti do our dynos. Maybe I read that wrong though.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
"No flame at all"... ...just a nice set-up.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by trey's wife
Ok I understand what you mean. I think *most* people though try to compare their dynos either to previous dynos of other cars (again variable would come into play) or compare to other dynos of the other cars being done at the same dyno on the same days. By your definition there would be no valid dynos as I don't think there are any of us with the option of having Infinti do our dynos. Maybe I read that wrong though.
A dyno serves as a baseline or a starting point for mods. I never ment to imply that it wasn't valid just that you can't accurately compare different dynos under different conditions.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
All I can say is 30 second rule.

And it's really too bad that this thread regarding Tony's new mod (which like it or not has been a proven performer) has resulted in this.

This site just get's pathetic sometimes!

Old 11-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OCG35, MREV is just a short time away. All of the info will become available and people will able to better decide whether this new power increasing mod is for them.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:32 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
"No flame at all"... ...just a nice set-up.
Nope - I don't play that way. If I was trying to flame I would have just flamed. I'm kinda a b!tch that way. Whatcha see is whatcha get.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
This site just get's pathetic sometimes!
+1 with gravy. It's like wine though, it needs time to age.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:10 AM
G's Up, Ho's Down
*singing
I know a post that gets on everybody's nerves, everybody's nerves, everybody's nerves, I know a post that gets on everybody's nerves and this is how it gooooes. I know a post that gets on everybody's nerves, everybody's nerves, everybody's nerves, I know a post that gets on everybody's nerves and this is how it gooooes. I know a.....

Old 11-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB
+1 with gravy. It's like wine though, it needs time to age.
And you are the cause of it.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
More independant dynos will be comming in guys! And I won't be posting the results. The independant dynoers (sp?) will post their results. And you can have at it!

In any case, I already know what the results will be. Increased area under the curve and big smiles!

Old 11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
itd be nice to see some before and after 1/4 slips too.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:15 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by terryw
itd be nice to see some before and after 1/4 slips too.
Well we tried to get him to let some people do that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT Coupes.. +18wHP +22/29wTQ!? - A Thanks To Tony, Motordyne Engineering