Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

G35 vs 350z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One last thing......

I have also heard of people using the Stillen box, but using the JWT air filter with it (the parts are interchangeable). Both of these were used with the Z-tube.

I have yet to hear anyone say they lost power with that setup.

Just food for thought....

Old 11-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Just remember that the Nismo intake is identical to the AEM intake. AEM makes the Nismo intake.

Design is identical....so are the results.
Yea i know, but for some reason i have heard good results from the nismo cai v2, sayin they gain about 5 hp. Maybe the design is slightly different then, Nismo is known to have other companies make their products, and i doubt they would allow that company to make identical products after having a contract in the first place for them to make their prodcut. Fujitsubo is a example, they make the nismo exhaust, but the design although similiar is a little different from the Fujitsubo Exhaust. The Nismo tip is a little smaller and the nismo exhaust sounds louder. So maybe the intake design is slightly different too. Nismo is a company with alot of prestige in having good quality nissan performance products, they might not allow a product to be sold if it loses hp. But i dont kno, you might be right, take it for what its worth, I might be wrong but imo intakes dont really make much of a difference to begin with. I doubt all those claims of gaining hp or losing hp really amounts to anything cause intakes dont really make much of a hp difference. Im just gettin it cause it looks better than a popcharger.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey will, We might hit up franny Lou tnite again, I might have a race with another 350z and a guy with a 240sx with a sr20 swap with turbo. Ill pm you if it happends, that other guy with the daytona blue 350z might be there too.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:10 PM
alrite im definately down for it =]

Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's my mod list - good enough to get you 12's without going FI in an auto:

05 Coupe/Auto/Ivory Pearl/PerfPkg-Aero Kit/OEM 19's - Chromed/Stillen CAI/UR UDP/Borla Exhaust/3.92 Gears/Nismo Cams/Performance Heads/Trans Kit and 3600 Stall Converter/Motordyne 1/2" Spacer with ISO Thermal/JDM Clear Corners/K40 Radar Protection/Hyper White's everywhere possible...more

Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordgee
I had the Pop-Charger. It lost power for me, especially at the low end. Not convinced of any gains at the top either. 0-60 times were consistently slower, and my dynos seemed to show the same thing.

I had it on for a short time, just 'cause it looked 'cool'. I went back to the K&N panel in the stock box.
Good post. I totally agree.

If you guys want a little more induction noise, remove the "Power Duct" cover and add some black foam insulation to keep as much engine compartment heat out as possible. I've logged about a 10 degree increase in temp at a stop in 80 degree weather, but once rolling above 20mph or so, the intake temps drop to that of having the cover in place. The increase in sound is intoxicating. If you're riders didn't know better, they'd think you had an exhaust because of induction noise tone.

Concerning CAIs, I must beg the question. Why do people think one CAI is going to perform better than another? It's just piping and a filter. I can guarantee you Nismo/AEM/Injen did not do any flow tests to determine if the CAI improved the laminar flow of air into the engine. All they did was say "hey, there's a spot for a filter that's shielded from engine heat, now let's make some piping to connect the MAF to the filter". That's it.

The stock intake setup will flow more than enough air for an NA VQ. People seem to think panel filters can't flow. I say take a look at a 98+ LS1 F-Body (Z28, Firebird) and take note of the design. It's a panel filter that is actually the same size as the G35's. The panel and airbox sit face down and air from below the nose gets drawn up into the intake. The intake itself sits about 6" away from the TB. The G35's intake is similar, but instead pulls air from the grill area and the intake box sits about 12" away from the TB. For LS1 aftermarket intakes, they simply add a modified upper intake lid which serves basically the same purpose as a spacer on the G35/350Z. The 348+ cu. in. LS1s seem to have no problems making 450+whp with a panel filter just as large as the VQ35s.

Last edited by DaveB; 11-15-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 PM
As many have indicated, the issue with the popcharger is when the heat builds up under your hood. You get major heat soak with it- whereas your OEM box is fitted to get air from outside of the car. Thus, when things get heated up under the hood (which it does quite quickly with the VQ), you lose low end power. The K&N is best for getting a little more air flow with consistent performance. The popcharger will perform best before your car heats up or in very cold climates. ..
same goes for the "OEM airbox mod"

Old 11-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Gaaaaar, thats madd funny, u deff have ballz!!!!! you showed that 350Z whats up!! i like tha fact that u backed ur fellow g35 up!!! i've done the same!! if feels good when ppl are like i've raced one i kno what they do, im just faster.... and ur like, well then race me!! u said it and did it, nyce when ppl live up to there word!

Old 11-16-2005, 09:31 PM
wordddddd....Yo gaaaar wanna meet up this friday and race? I got a couple of friends thats down =] and how far did the 240sx beat u by? Oh and did u beat the 350z?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by nycxwillxd
wordddddd....Yo gaaaar wanna meet up this friday and race? I got a couple of friends thats down =] and how far did the 240sx beat u by? Oh and did u beat the 350z?
Yea Will, that 240sx killed me. We did two races. One was on highway, on a 60mph roll. And he kinda got the jump on me, and just pulled to like a 2 car length lead by 110mph. The 2nd race was from a dig. He told me he doesn't know how to launch his car. So we waited till the light turned green, i didn't brake torque and then once the light turned green, Guess what? He launched his car and pulled a 2 car lead on me almost immediately, since i just mashed on the gas, i didn't brake torque. And i think we raced till like 90 mph and he had 3 cars on me. Afterwards, he told me it was the first time he launched his car. I dont know if i should believe him or not. So in both losts, he had the jump and he launched his car after tellin me he cant, so i didn't brake torque, thats how he won. But whatever a lost is a lost, im not here to make excuses. I do think ill do better next time i race him tho, ill be more prepared. But yea, that 240sx was pretty quick, i think he might of still beat me even if i had brake torque, but who knows. He had a sr20det engine swap on his 240sx and he had turbo also. I think he said he was putting down around 220 - 230 hp to the wheels, which is about as much as our G's put down, except that his car is ALOT lighter. On a high note, i did wreck this 1990 Jetta which swapped a new GTI engine in it. He told me his car only weighs 2600lbs. So we decided to race and it wasn't even pretty i put like 2 buslengths on him from a 40mph roll to 100mph. lol. And i didn't race the 350z that night. He was just there watching us. lol Yea lets meet up this weekend, i might go to AC tho, but if i dont, ill be down to meet up. What does your friends drive? I think i might be able to call out that guy with the 240sx again and my other friend has a modded Evo MR that runs high 12s (Crazy Fast). Lets have some fun. lol

Originally Posted by BlackG35th
Gaaaaar, thats madd funny, u deff have ballz!!!!! you showed that 350Z whats up!! i like tha fact that u backed ur fellow g35 up!!! i've done the same!! if feels good when ppl are like i've raced one i kno what they do, im just faster.... and ur like, well then race me!! u said it and did it, nyce when ppl live up to there word!
Hey no problem, i dont know, i just cant take 350z making bogus claims about how much they can kill a g35. I raced a couple of 350z, and yes they are faster but its not really by that much. I guess i just launched my automatic G better than he launched his 6mt 350z. lol. Given equal drivers, they certainly cant put 4 car lengths on a G by 3rd gear. But yea they are faster, and that guy should of beat me, but he didn't. Which proves even with a automatic G and a 6mt 350z, its still a driver's race. Funny thing was i made him believe he was gonna beat me the whole time, i was just arguing that he couldn't put 4 car lengths on me, never did i once say i was gonna beat him, and then i just showed up and beat him. lol. But that guy was really cool about it tho, he wants to meet up in the future and do more races.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 PM
alrite but dont be 100% sure ill find out by tomorrow and let you know theres a 350z and is300 turbo with jz engine its a sick *** car

Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 AM
The stillen intake + ztube is awesome. I'm a big fan, with MREV + an exhaust the car is going to perform nicely

Old 11-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Concerning CAIs, I must beg the question. Why do people think one CAI is going to perform better than another? It's just piping and a filter. I can guarantee you Nismo/AEM/Injen did not do any flow tests to determine if the CAI improved the laminar flow of air into the engine. All they did was say "hey, there's a spot for a filter that's shielded from engine heat, now let's make some piping to connect the MAF to the filter". That's it.
From what I saw on the dyno, its not about turbulent or laminar, its about the tuning frequency.

The long tube CAI's resonate like a pipe organ tube. As the engine sweeps through a range of RPM's (frequencies) the pipe organ tube resonates in phase and out of phase at different frequencies. It causes aliasing or peaks and dips in the dyno plots. The effect was very dramatic.

Despite the peaks and dips, from what I saw the net change was at about zero.