Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

G35 vs 350z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation G35 vs 350z

I was on the francis lewis blvd, stopped on the red light and a blue 350 z pulled up next to me. He reved the engine and i knew he wanted to give it a go and i just changed my stock exhaust to Greddy evo 2 with Y pipe. So we were neck to neck until he kicked into 4th to 5th gear and he started going ahead of me by 1 car. I had 4ppl in my car and he had 2 all together. In the end he told me his car was stock. I had an intake and exhaust but mine was a Automatic...I was wondering if you guys can help me because i want to make my car faster. Should i get the 3.9 gear but i heard that it would destroy the engine or trade in my 05 Coupe for a Manual, but my car is financed is it possible? Is there any other mod i can do to make my car faster besides turbo or supercharge?if i get 3.9 gear is it any possible way i can get the MREV? Thanks

Old 11-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Smile

Originally Posted by nycxwillxd
I was on the francis lewis blvd, stopped on the red light and a blue 350 z pulled up next to me. He reved the engine and i knew he wanted to give it a go and i just changed my stock exhaust to Greddy evo 2 with Y pipe. So we were neck to neck until he kicked into 4th to 5th gear and he started going ahead of me by 1 car. I had 4ppl in my car and he had 2 all together. In the end he told me his car was stock. I had an intake and exhaust but mine was a Automatic...I was wondering if you guys can help me because i want to make my car faster. Should i get the 3.9 gear but i heard that it would destroy the engine or trade in my 05 Coupe for a Manual, but my car is financed is it possible? Is there any other mod i can do to make my car faster besides turbo or supercharge?if i get 3.9 gear is it any possible way i can get the MREV? Thanks
First of all, don't race with 4 people in your car. That's #1.
The Z is already a lighter car, so power/weight ratio is on his side. That's #2.

Get the following:

High-flow cats, Z-tube with a Pop charger or Stillen air box and lastly, get a Motordyne 1/2" spacer.

Those will get you where you want to be......provided that you aren't driving around with 4 people in your car

Old 11-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Do you have a website where I can buy those three items you just listed??

Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmmm . . 3 other passengers riding with you?

Motordyne's new "MREV's," benefits are totally realized by the '05 and '06 - 6MT's.

As not to encourage you . . . However, be reminded that you had 2 extra bodies in your car . . . So, it was much closer than one would think.

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/

Be Safe

Old 11-13-2005, 12:29 PM
alrite i have noob question is the high flow cats exhaust cuz i already have the greddy evo 2 exhaust and ztube and pop charger isnt it intake? cuz i already have AEM intake but the 1/2 spacer is it good because i was thinking about buyin the skunk 2 one thanks

Old 11-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
alrite i have noob question is the high flow cats exhaust cuz i already have the greddy evo 2 exhaust and ztube and pop charger isnt it intake? cuz i already have AEM intake but the 1/2 spacer is it good because i was thinking about buyin the skunk 2 one thanks
To be completely honest with you, the AEM intake is causing you to lose low end power. In a street race, the AEM intake will work against you. Ditch it quick......I'm not kidding. I had the same intake and it's now in my garage in a box. I now have the Pop Charger with a Z-tube and all is well again.

The Motordyne spacer is a proven setup with hundreds and hundreds of dynos to prove it's results.

Go get the 1/2 Motordyne spacer with the Iso Thermal gasket. Trust me on this one.

Again:

1) Ditch the AEM intake. Get either a Pop Charger, Stillen intake or just drop in a K&N air filter with a Z-tube. All three will give you positive results (albeit minimal........but gaining little is better than losing lots).

2) Crawford cats are the best high-flow cats on the market for our cars. Craftsmanship is second to none.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
To be completely honest with you, the AEM intake is causing you to lose low end power. In a street race, the AEM intake will work against you. Ditch it quick......I'm not kidding. I had the same intake and it's now in my garage in a box. I now have the Pop Charger with a Z-tube and all is well again.

The Motordyne spacer is a proven setup with hundreds and hundreds of dynos to prove it's results.

Go get the 1/2 Motordyne spacer with the Iso Thermal gasket. Trust me on this one.

Again:

1) Ditch the AEM intake. Get either a Pop Charger, Stillen intake or just drop in a K&N air filter with a Z-tube. All three will give you positive results (albeit minimal........but gaining little is better than losing lots).

2) Crawford cats are the best high-flow cats on the market for our cars. Craftsmanship is second to none.
I totally agree. CAIs show minimal gains at best on our cars, and most show losses, especially at low and mid rpms. The Motordyne Spacer is well proven, and I believe better R&D than some of the bigger names, since Tony focusses on the VQ engine.

I've heard a few complaints about the Crawford cat, but mainly about cracking near the mount which will then require some re-welding.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:28 PM
LoL. Omg your that g35 that raced in francis lewis?? I think i know the daytona blue 350z that beat you. He made a posting on my350z.com talkin about how he beat 2 wrx in francis lewis, and then in the end he beat a g35 coupe auto. He also drives a daytona blue 350z. Although the story was a little different he said he had u by 3-4 cars. And some ppl called him bs, me being also a g35 5at driver offered to race him in francis lewis to see if his story was true. To see if he can beat me by 3-4 cars. Im pretty sure thats the 350z that you raced. You should come down and meet up with us, it'll be fun.
Ck it out, this is his post: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153510

Last edited by Gaaaar; 11-13-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM
lol yep that was the guy! it was a good race though but i started hitting on the brake when the light ahead of us turned yellow so i guess he might think he beated me by 3-4 cars but it was a goooood race =]

Old 11-13-2005, 08:10 PM
I did some research and my friends in the import business told me to not take of the AEM intake...but none of them have a g35(what do i do?!?!?!?) they told me to go buy the skunk2 spacer www.skunk2.com their site is www.rctperformance.com i really dont know what to do...cuz none of them have a g35 and i prefer listening to ur guys opinions cause u guys actually have these mods

Old 11-13-2005, 08:12 PM
sup Gaaar when u guys meeting up? just give me the time and date and ill be there

Old 11-13-2005, 09:02 PM
lol Maybe tonight!! well we didn't really set up a place to meet up, but he told me he'll be at francis lewis blvd lookin for races, so im thinkin about stopping by to see if i can catch a daytone blue 350z. lol, come out, if you catch a white g35 coupe, with clear corners and gold letters. Honk at me. Hope i catch u. lol

Old 11-13-2005, 09:37 PM
like rite now? or later tonite?

Old 11-13-2005, 09:45 PM
wanna all juss meet up at 7-eleven at mmmh 1:00 am?

Old 11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
I did some research and my friends in the import business told me to not take of the AEM intake...but none of them have a g35(what do i do?!?!?!?) they told me to go buy the skunk2 spacer www.skunk2.com their site is www.rctperformance.com i really dont know what to do...cuz none of them have a g35 and i prefer listening to ur guys opinions cause u guys actually have these mods
I understand that they are your friends, but they do not understand the G35. The AEM is great for some cars and not so good for others. The AEM intake and the G35 are like "oil and frozen yogurt".

There is plenty of proof out there (nothing I have with me) to show that the AEM & Nismo cold air intake is nothing but crap when it comes to the G35.

My experience was.....

I put the AEM intake on my car. The car seemed a little sluggish off the line, but I figured my ECU would learn the new mod and everything would end up working great. 2 months went by. The car still seemed sluggish.

I posted a few message on the forums about it, but several people told me that the cold air intake was great for the car and encouraged me to keep it on.

THEN, I talked with Doug at Crawford Z. I also spoke with a couple others (I won't name, unless they want me to) who are highly respected on these boards. They all told me that the AEM intake was one of the worst cold air designs on the market. In Doug's case, several cars responded to the AEM intake by immediately losing 9whp. This is horrible.

Doug was the one that told me to go with short intake instead. This immediately brought back the throttle response.

Again, I know your friends mean well, as I doubt they are trying to steer you wrong. However, the AEM intake and G35/350Z are a VERY bad match.

Before you do any other mods, get rid of the AEM intake. You will be surprised of the result you get. I bet you are faster off of the line.

Now, as far as a spacer goes........

The Skunk2 spacer may work fine. However, I can assure you that a lot more R&D has been done with the Motordyne spacer and the G35. Tony at Motordyne has spent a rediculous amount of time fine tuning the art of the spacer for our cars......and he continues to make it better and better.

If I were you, I would go with what's proven and not the Skunk2, which I have heard several reports of fitment issues.

Unless you have unlimited funds and like trying different mods all of the time, I would go with the Motordyne spacer with the Iso Thermal gasket.

The Skunk2 spacer right now is a little bit of an unknown. The Motordyne is proven time after time on this board. Go with what works!

Just my 2 cents, although I probably said more than you care to hear.

Jeff

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 11-13-2005 at 10:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs 350z