Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Just purchased the Autoenginuity OBDII w/ Nissan enhanced.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not have much luck with the ignition adv today.

It appears that the 05 is at 15 degrees. Does anyone know if it is normal for the ignition timing value to chage when at idle. Mine bounced from about 15 degress to 17 not sure if it is the car doing this or if it is the tool interpreting the data stream this way.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Bouncing from 15-17 at idle is normal. That's one of the ways the ECU stabilizes the idle.
This can cause problems for people that run piggybacks. I know this has caused idle surge for people running piggybacks that take complete control of the ignition and run a set advance at idle.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks PunKidd.

I was just able to adv and retard the ignition timing and set it back to 0degress corrected. The scantool says it is running at 14 to 15 btdc. I am going to look all this stuff up because it is greek to me right now which is also why returned the ign timing back to default.

If you can and don't mind doing so could you explain in as simple or complex terms as you like what the btdc and how adv and retard impact the cars performance.

Many thanks in adv

Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
ok got and explainnation on the timing deal, man i love google, http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S10_Timing.html

I certainly welcom any greater insight though.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
That looks like a pretty good write up to me.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I have heard that the consult will let you go +/- 2 deg and that 17 deg is the most you can advance.

Where you able to get the advanced timing to "stick"? Or did it revert back on it's own? Did you use the procedure you previously used?

Originally Posted by Foo_G
Thanks PunKidd.

I was just able to adv and retard the ignition timing and set it back to 0degress corrected. The scantool says it is running at 14 to 15 btdc. I am going to look all this stuff up because it is greek to me right now which is also why returned the ign timing back to default.

If you can and don't mind doing so could you explain in as simple or complex terms as you like what the btdc and how adv and retard impact the cars performance.

Many thanks in adv

Old 06-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I have heard that the consult will let you go +/- 2 deg and that 17 deg is the most you can advance.

Where you able to get the advanced timing to "stick"? Or did it revert back on it's own? Did you use the procedure you previously used?
I selected the test onboard system tab and from the drop down I selected timing adv, ???, to the right are buttons for < done >, I hit the > one time, clicked on done then clicked the initiate button to the right of the drop down box.

You can just click done and iniate and it will begin the test at 0* correction. once the test is initiated you can hit the > button once and that will add 1* click done and initiate and it will set the timing adv and you are good to go.

After that I used the live data tab and selected the corrected ignition timing sensor and the Ignition Timing Cylinder #4 sensor to monitor. I used the Ignition Timing Cylinder #4 becasue it was the only one listed in the drop down list but his website shows sensors for all cylinders and imagine it is just a matter of implementing them.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 AM
got this from Jay at AE regarding the adv/ret of timing.

Use the Test OnBoard for that. It will always start at -2 deg. Then you can change it to whatever you want. The actuation is totally something else. To store the value hit Done. It’s not in the Help file because that’s for our product. Nissan commands instructions are on the screen in front of you and in their service guides. Because there are thousands of these and they are different for every vehicle it will never be in our Help file.

to check:
You can immediately check your results. Go to the Grid and add the Correct Ignition … and Correct Idle RPM … sensors. They wlll reflect the current setting.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Jeff, Have you worked with the ignition timing yet? My wifes altima was kncoking for some reason and was able to ease it some by retarding the ignition. I alo reset the ecu and according to her recent test drive the problem appears to have ceased.

But I was able to tweak the timing and found out some of the BCM settings are already available for the 03 altima. I was too busy troubleshooting the knock problem to play with the BCM settings but there were about 10 to 12 that I seen. Battery saver and some door lock stuff and some settings for the lights IIRC.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Red Card Crew

I was cleaning the garage so I hooked up the tool and let it load. I just wanted to confirm what you were seeing. I was able to switch to enhanced PowerTrain, BCM, Auto. I didn't try ABS though. I wasn't able to see any commands in the BCM or I couldn't get anything to change. I saw those things you mentioned by going to the active sensor section. When in auto, I didn't see any active commands.

Right now, I'm just trying to keep up with you. haha. Thanks.

I wish there was an easier way to switch inbetween PT, auto,BCM,ABS etc settings while the program is up. I have to quit and then restart the program. No biggie last night as I would reset it and then go do something else but it would be a pain if I was in a hurry

Old 06-11-2006, 01:34 PM
yeah prbably the only shortcoming is the time to transition I think it take about 2 minutes to reload for me.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Red Card Crew

Let me know if you can get the speed tracer working and what numbers you used for the weight/gear ratios etc. Would be nice to get #s before we advance the timing. Not that we couldn't swap back/forth. hehehehehehe

Old 06-13-2006, 05:29 PM
I intend to road dyno my car this weekend. As far as the numbers go; I will probably take my car to the county landfill next week to have it weighed. what year is your G? I can get the gear #'s for you later if ya need.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 PM
_jb
Photographer

Noah,

I have been following many of your threads here and on Frenzy about this scantool. It looks pretty interesting.

At one time you mentioned possible get-togethers to see your system. Could we possibly set up a Tampa Mini-Meet and take a look at this?

I remember you posting something about this at an earlier time, but I didn't realize exactly what you were talking about.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:53 PM
_jb
Photographer

One of our FGC members recently installed a new exhaust system with test pipes. Since the installation, he has been burning excessive amounts of oil in his G35 Coupe.

I looked down his exhaust pipes and they were coated with heavy black soot. This is after about three weeks of use. Seems to be running way rich to me.

Other people on G35Driver have also complained about excessive oil burning after installing test pipes. I'm not sure how test pipes could cause this to happen, but some people are certain about it.

Could the Scantool be used to analyse what the O2 Sensors are doing and find out what might be causing this oil burning problem? Is there any other analysis that this tool could do to help identity the problem?

I don't have test pipes or the oil problem. I'm just curious. I'm an old time racer that finds modern cars difficult to tune. I'm used to reading the spark plugs and adjusting the jets and timing to suit... those days seem to be gone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just purchased the Autoenginuity OBDII w/ Nissan enhanced.