Motor Sports Ranch 3.1 (Sept 6&7)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Sports Ranch 3.1 (Sept 6&7)

Hey guys,

Dont know if yall keep up with this. But The Driver's Edge (TDE) has changed their Sept event from Eagles Canyon to MSR.

http://www.thedriversedge.net/02_tracks.htm

I just wanted to let yall know, just in case anyone was interested! The more participation the better...

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Oooh! That one I might be able to do ... let's pray for cold weather that day so we don't all fry another set of brakes

Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! haha...

I need to install the Wilwoods I ordered for the fronts, and figure out what to do in the rear!!!!

I cant wait!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Premier Member

I installed the Stop tech stage one slotted f/r and hawk pads and it is a big difference.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I hope you're not running Hawk HPS pads if you're tracking, they are not designed to handle the heat generated in a track event. My last set of rotors suffered serious pad transfer from Hawk HPS pads. I think the HPS pads are only rated to about 700 degrees F. The Hawk HP Plus on the other hand are a more suitable pad for track use.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
can't do that one, but I just registered for the Sept 27 Apex event at MSR. can't wait.

BeerViper, do the HP Plus pads work well with the stock (non-brembo) rotors and calipers? I would imagine most people using these pads have done brake kits, but that's just not in the budget right now.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't have personal experience with the HP Plus pads, only what I have read from others. On that note ... if you are going to be tracking your G, the HP Plus pads will be far better than stock pads, even on stock rotors.

The main difference is that the HP Plus pads will be capable of handling much higher temps than the stock pads. They are also going to dust a lot more and possibly squeek a little, but that is the price you have to pay.

The most important thing to do with new pads is a thorough bedding which will improve braking performance and reduce squeeking.

After seeing the performance of the pads on the G3 Motorsports (Grubbs) race G35 back in May on stock rotors and calipers (non-brembo) I was very impressed. That made me believe that high quality pads can work effectively on stock rotors/calipers although many will tell you they've burned through sets of high quality pads in 1 track session.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never ran a TDE event but I'd be interested. Is it an actual timed/racing event or just open track? Was thinking of making the Texas Speedway "Drive your car" event in September.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BeerViper
I don't have personal experience with the HP Plus pads, only what I have read from others. On that note ... if you are going to be tracking your G, the HP Plus pads will be far better than stock pads, even on stock rotors.

The main difference is that the HP Plus pads will be capable of handling much higher temps than the stock pads. They are also going to dust a lot more and possibly squeek a little, but that is the price you have to pay.

The most important thing to do with new pads is a thorough bedding which will improve braking performance and reduce squeeking.

After seeing the performance of the pads on the G3 Motorsports (Grubbs) race G35 back in May on stock rotors and calipers (non-brembo) I was very impressed. That made me believe that high quality pads can work effectively on stock rotors/calipers although many will tell you they've burned through sets of high quality pads in 1 track session.
I've tried HP plus pads. You really need to get them warmed up. Once they are warmed up they are good to go. It's interesting actually. I used HPS pads my very first time at track and they seem to work okay. At the time it was winter so it was pretty cool outside and I was a real novice, so I didn't push it too much (I remember JD lapped me twice). I guess that was why it felt okay. Next few times I tracked, it was hot outside and I pushed it more. You can kind of feel when the HPS pads are about to go and it's not a good feeling.

The other thing about HP plus pads that I feel obligated to mention is that the dust embers that come off of them when you track are damn hot. So hot, they seem to stick to the wheel. I would have a dedicated set of track wheels. I think the HP plus pads are real close to a "real" track pad before going their blue compound. I've also been told that you can mix and match different pad compounds on the front vs rear if you want to mess around with the brake bias.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hmmm...I don't like the sound of the pad embers sticking to my wheels, as I only have the one set of stock 18's.

maybe I'll try to track down George III the next time I'm at Grubbs and ask him about his G3 pads that BeerViper mentioned.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:26 PM
There are plenty more options out there for track pads as well ... I'm now using Project Mu HC+ and I think they are incredible. They replaced Hawk HPS pads that I mentioned killed my last set of rotors. The biggest downside to the Project Mu's I have now is the brake dust and that they are relatively expensive. For a pad that can handle temps over 1400F they perform incredibly well on the street without needing to be warmed up. Time will tell how rotor-friendly these pads are...

For a good read and some ideas on track pads, check out the my350z track pads database thread -> http://my350z.com/forum/autocross-ro...-database.html

Old 08-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by firefox
I've tried HP plus pads. You really need to get them warmed up. Once they are warmed up they are good to go. It's interesting actually. I used HPS pads my very first time at track and they seem to work okay. At the time it was winter so it was pretty cool outside and I was a real novice, so I didn't push it too much (I remember JD lapped me twice). I guess that was why it felt okay. Next few times I tracked, it was hot outside and I pushed it more. You can kind of feel when the HPS pads are about to go and it's not a good feeling.

The other thing about HP plus pads that I feel obligated to mention is that the dust embers that come off of them when you track are damn hot. So hot, they seem to stick to the wheel. I would have a dedicated set of track wheels. I think the HP plus pads are real close to a "real" track pad before going their blue compound. I've also been told that you can mix and match different pad compounds on the front vs rear if you want to mess around with the brake bias.
Well to throw in my humble 2 centavos....I've stuck to using Satisfied Ceramic pads and I loved them over my stock Brembos which I think were OK but created way too much dust. I can't remember if I got the GS5 or GS6 but that may be another brand you may want to consider.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still up in the air about this one. I'll decide tomorrow probably. I got some repairs to do to the car after TMS.

Hole in tire
Shattered Marker Light
Cracked Bumper
etc...
etc...

Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Tires ordered
Lights ordered
Bumper repaired (& touch-up paint ordered)
CHECK SENT to TDE

See you at the Track!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by BeerViper
Oooh! That one I might be able to do ... let's pray for cold weather that day so we don't all fry another set of brakes
My Opinion:

Unless this is your 1st or 2nd track event (or you're squeamish about using the go fast pedal) it's time to upgrade to a BBK. Probably don't need to go as far as I did and order the biggest StopTeck kit they make but an upgrade to the Brembos off a Z is probably sufficient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Sports Ranch 3.1 (Sept 6&7)