Performance Driving Events ("Racing") in the DFW and Surrounding Areas: 2009

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GWord256
I got the knockback springs on order. But still waiting on the RE-11's from Tirerack. They are on back order for a couple weeks yet waiting on the first shipment from Japan I think. They better be kick @$$ because the RE-01R's were sweet for track use.
Shoes en route, knockback spring installed and road tested. I'm almost ready to hit the track again.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW CCA event @ Hallett (Tulsa area) on 7/10-12:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...697B25040E7B08

I'll be there :-)

You do have to join the BMW CCA ($40/year), but you get a good monthly magazine, discounts and rebates on the purchase of a BMW after you've been a member for a year.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Any body going out to Minearal Wells this weekend with SCCA? http://www.autocross.com/texasregion/ I'll likely be there this Sunday as I'm going to the Gun show in Fort Worth on Saturday.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Me and a friend of mine with a G sedan have been talking about going to the track, but we haven't had much time lately. However, we will have alot more time over the summer, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for events to attend. It seemed like there weren't many over the summer, but I was only looking at one program (I think it was TDE). But ya, I told him I would look on here for some events. We were thinking MSR but not sure if you have to be a member and stuff like that.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 PM
None of the events I have posted require any sort of membership. However, track events can be sold out up to a month in advance so it requires some planning. The best group to run with to have a good time and learn a lot is with The Drivers Edge, expect to dedicate an entire weekend with them. As another option APEX does 1 day events, but TDE events are much more enjoyable in my opinion.

As far as tracks go, MSR is a fine choice. Eagles Canyon was a bit of a bore for tracks, but I haven't been there since they said they did some work to it. At the top of my list for best tracks is Texas World Speedway down near College Station. TWS is a bit of a haul (3hr drive) but for some reason I can't get enough of it.

If you plan on driving an FX like your sig says you have that may or may not be considered a high center of gravity car. I'd say call or send an email to TDE to check it with them, they are good with replying to email or voice mails.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Thank you very much for your response. I may just have to link this thread to my friend so I don't leave anything out. It might be a high center of gravity, but it's about 1.5" lower than stock between springs and shorter sidewall tires. I don't think it will flip. For reference, the lowest point on the sideskirt is a good 2-3 inches below the center of the wheel. I will email them to make sure though.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be at MSR this saturday running with Apex. They will be running ccw. My last two times was cw so I'll have to re-learn everything, lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good luck man, I've only done MSR CCW (like when we were there last year with G3 Grubbs) so it would be an interesting time relearning all the turns!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I personally like CCW better. Ricochet takes a bit more chutzpah to take 100%.

Last weekend TDE was doing the 3.1 and it was raining in Saturday morning. I was a little cheesed off that no one wanted to use the gas pedal. Driving on the old part of the track (the 1.7) was really quite slick. The grip was somewhere between driving on ice and loose pack gravel. Then the new track (the 1.3) was more like driving on wet streets. It was really quite interesting.

Good news is the brakes are working great and I'm running the the Red/Advanced group now.

I've signed up for TWS the following weekend, my status is pending.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 PM
July

July 11+12
TDE @ ECR

July 25+26
TWS @ TWS

Old 05-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I noticed on June 6th, Ruf (and maybe Apex) are doing a thing at MSR. I told my friend and I have yet to hear back from him. I'm driving back from Aspen the couple days before, so I will see if I can go. My friend's dad is one of the owners of Ruf here in Dallas, so I may check with him about it.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by StuLax18
I noticed on June 6th, Ruf (and maybe Apex) are doing a thing at MSR. I told my friend and I have yet to hear back from him. I'm driving back from Aspen the couple days before, so I will see if I can go. My friend's dad is one of the owners of Ruf here in Dallas, so I may check with him about it.
Correcto, here is the info from the Apex website:

Ruf Auto Centre and the Apex Driving Academy Dallas are excited to present the sixth annual TexasTrack and Concorso for all driver skill levels featuring the world-renowned performance Porsches by RUF. Activities will include (1) high performance on-track driver’s education for all skill levels from novice to licensed racer; (2) a “fun” Concours for all special interest and exotic cars of all years; (3) lunch time track touring; and (4) limited on-track passenger excursions in Ruf and other exotics. ** The Track & Concorso is NOT LIMITED TO PORSCHE OWNERS. Regardless of the make of your exotic or sports car, you are welcome to take advantage of this rare opportunity. ** Drivers of all experience levels are welcome to register.

http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/schedule.htm

Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm heading down to TWS this weekend (30+31) anyone else going?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 AM
How long of a drive is it from Dallas?

So this past weekend at MSR was actually the 1.3 track. It was my first time running that track and it was a TON of fun. Lots of curves, elevation changes, and a couple blind turns over hills had me worried before going on track, but once I was on, man-o-man it was a blast!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM
TWS is just south of College Stations on Rt 6. Takes me a little over 3 hours to get there. May be a little less from Dallas.

I never did just the 1.3 at MSR. It such a small an technical track I can't imagine there are to many places to pass.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Driving Events ("Racing") in the DFW and Surrounding Areas: 2009