Exterior-Vendor Includes spoilers, body kits, tail lights, gauges, shift knobs, and other styling components

Satellite Radio Special!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 6 Sirius left...

Old 12-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akrus
I believe the antenna would be ok, but I'm pretty sure the tuner would not work with the Eclipse.

I'm not positive here, so it's best to talk to your Eclipse dealer. I'm just basing it on the fact that Eclipse would probably use a proprietary cable for the connection, just as Infiniti does with the N-bus.

I know my former car had the Alpine unit with XM and it used an Alpine specific cable.

Albert
i'm pretty sure the manufacturer of the stereo is clarion. even if you had a clarion satellite tuner, it wouldn't work as the protocols are different between the two.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 PM
which is better sirius or xm? And don't you have to pay a monthly fee, after u purchase the sat radio setup? I know the answer to the first question will be opinionated, but what is the major diff. if any?
thanx nate

Last edited by b1kg35; 12-22-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:41 PM
jrc
Originally Posted by b1kg35
which is better sirius or xm? And don't you have to pay a monthly fee, after u purchase the sat radio setup? I know the answer to the first question will be opinionated, but what is the major diff. if any?
thanx nate

Yes, you have to pay a monthly fee, but there is a promotion to get free activation for XM (activate via the web using "xmholiday" or "xmfreeweb" codes). Also, you might be able to get a 3 month trial for XM or Siruius, which they offer to all new factory G35 activations - Grubbs has some info at http://secure.grubbs.com/GrubbsPerfo...activation.pdf , but I am not sure if this will work for everyone, especially those in G35s older than 2005?

As for the difference between the two, XM tends to have deeper playlists with alot less repeat programming, while Sirius is more like FM radio where they repeat alot of the same songs again and again. Also, Sirius has the big name of Howard Stern and an exclusive with the NFL. XM lacks any real star power like Stern, although Opie and Anthony are entertaining. XM has an exclusive with MLB and soon an exclusive with NHL. MLB and hockey are a much better deal IMO than football because you get alot more games for your money. Personally, I prefer XM, but if you are a big Howard Stern fan then your only real choice is Sirius.

Last edited by jrc; 12-23-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Sim
holy crap wat a deal

Old 12-23-2005, 01:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jtesensky
Only 6 Sirius left...
Do you have any XM kits left?

The antenna can be mounted on the back deck lid inside the car, correct?

Thanks for the info!

-edit-
I checked out the link and I was able to order it so I think this answers that question.
I also noticed others mounting the antenna on the rear deck lid which will be the route I take.

I ordered the XM version. I signed up for both on the web to check out the differences and I didn't like Sirius. There are plenty of stations that I would NEVER listen to and not many options on the stations that I would listen to.

XM seemed to have the better variety and I've heard the comedy station is great!

Thanks for the great deal on the sat. radio! I can't wait to get it hooked up.

Scott

Last edited by twitch; 12-23-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:04 AM
before the 1st of january, sirius has the $500 lifetime deal. for $500, you get a lifetime subscription. call 'em up to be sure!

Old 12-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Which antenna does this kit come with?

Old 12-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by twitch

The antenna can be mounted on the back deck lid inside the car, correct?

Thanks for the info!

-edit-
I checked out the link and I was able to order it so I think this answers that question.
I also noticed others mounting the antenna on the rear deck lid which will be the route I take.

I ordered the XM version. I signed up for both on the web to check out the differences and I didn't like Sirius. There are plenty of stations that I would NEVER listen to and not many options on the stations that I would listen to.

XM seemed to have the better variety and I've heard the comedy station is great!

Thanks for the great deal on the sat. radio! I can't wait to get it hooked up.

Scott
You're going to love XM. Since I've had it in my G, I haven't listened to CD or radio at all.

One thing I would caution you about, with regards to mounting the antenna on the trunklid, is that if you ever decide you want to remove it, you will have a "stain", which is actually just the paint in perfect condition where the antenna once was. My Maxima, like my G was black. I mounted the antenna on the the trunk lid (mind you, it was a first gen, large antenna) and when removed, you could easily see where it was. Best my detailer could do was try to blend it in with the rest of the trunk lid.

Dark cars will make this more obvious and the new antenna that comes with this kit is very small, so I don't think this will be nearly the problem that I had, but just something to think about, especially since the antenna works fine inside the car, on the rear deck.

I'll try to get some pics of it in my car so people can see what the antenna looks like and how I have it situated.

Excellent choice, going with XM - the stock prices and subscriber numbers easily point to it being the leader. To be fair, I have only listened to Sirius for about 2 hours and that was some time ago, but I didn't care for it.

Albert

Old 12-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by k67p67
Which antenna does this kit come with?
Not sure about Sirius, but with XM, it's a little black dome with about a 3 inch long cable cover molded into it.

It's about 1.5 x 1.5 x 3/4 inches in size (going by memory, so I'm just ballparking this, but that should give you an idea.

Albert

Old 12-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by twitch
XM Kits

We have three XM Kits left...

Old 12-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
XM Kits

So, this it the micro antenna?

Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by akrus
You're going to love XM. Since I've had it in my G, I haven't listened to CD or radio at all.

One thing I would caution you about, with regards to mounting the antenna on the trunklid, is that if you ever decide you want to remove it, you will have a "stain", which is actually just the paint in perfect condition where the antenna once was. My Maxima, like my G was black. I mounted the antenna on the the trunk lid (mind you, it was a first gen, large antenna) and when removed, you could easily see where it was. Best my detailer could do was try to blend it in with the rest of the trunk lid.

Dark cars will make this more obvious and the new antenna that comes with this kit is very small, so I don't think this will be nearly the problem that I had, but just something to think about, especially since the antenna works fine inside the car, on the rear deck.

I'll try to get some pics of it in my car so people can see what the antenna looks like and how I have it situated.

Excellent choice, going with XM - the stock prices and subscriber numbers easily point to it being the leader. To be fair, I have only listened to Sirius for about 2 hours and that was some time ago, but I didn't care for it.

Albert
I am talking about mounting the antenna inside the car on the rear deck in the center, not on the trunk. Here is a example taken from the DYI on 6mt.net

This is the way I am going to install mine.

Thanks for the information on XM. I am quite surprised by the lack of selection that Sirius offered. I am certainly glad I subscribed for the trial online to listen first. I would recommend that everyone do the same to see if they like what is offered.

Take care,
Scott

Old 12-23-2005, 11:23 AM
XM Kits

Thank you. I ordered mine last night.

Scott

Old 12-23-2005, 03:03 PM
XM Kits

Hopefully one of those is mine. I just ordered it. Thanks for the great deal, Justin!

Now I just have to hope that my girlfriend didn't already buy me satellite radio for Christmas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Special!