DYNO DAY, Aug. 27th at Next Level Performance...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:39 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SFLG35
so you download the info yet

Had to use lunch break to get a male serial to USB adapter (another $30 bucks down ) and then I plugged it in and nothing. Software is very user unfriendly. Very small too. Software is like 1MB big. I emailed them now to see whats up. I hope Eric plugged it in the Zeitronix box thats stuffed under my glovebox.

I'll try and have it squared away today if I can.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes. I kind of think it was because we were raped so quickly. They did one run and barely let the cars idle back to 0 rpms before they did the second run.

It was like wham bam thank you ma'am (for your $50). Next dyno day I think I'll try another place. DJNiknala has a recomendation and I think I'll check out his place and maybe give it a try. Hopefully they'll have a cooler set up and a way to vent the exhaust gasses a little better. The guys at Next Level are all really cool but I get the feeling that they just wanted to get us in and out as quickly as possible and they didn't care too much about us getting accurate results for our $50. There is no way a dyno run should vary by 25rwhp from run to run.

The more I think about it the more pissed off I get. They did pulls when they could have blown engines and they didn't once back off. I don't know how many people I told this to at our dyno day. ZuL8R's car could have had serious damage getting that lean. They definitely should have stopped his run mid pull. Same goes for turbomaxima and demonteverde321.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:07 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by neffster
Originally Posted by 98intrigue
Even though no one agreed with me, I could have sworn Todd's first run put down the 36xwhp and his next run was lower.
That's what I thought too. I think Jason is just in the habit of making excuses and it's spilling over into every thread he posts in now.
Todd, I have a picture of the Dyno's computer screen after your second run. I'll look for it when I get home tonight. I won't post it unless you want me too. It's not crystal clear, but you can read the screen as I remember.

I also have eight videos of four of the cars. They are 640x480 with sound, so they are very large. One of them is 149 megabytes. All of them are over 50 megabytes. They are too large to put on a site (618mb total). I think the four of you live in Orlando. I can mail (snail mail) a CD to Ian or yourself if you want. You can share it with the other guys. PM an address to me and I'll send it tomorrow.

I have videos of both runs for Todd, Jason, Alan, and Hector.

It's interesting to watch them now that the meet is over. I wondered why Alan's car revved up so fast... It seemed to hit the BOV immediately after the revs started to climb.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Alan's car was crazy quick to get to redline. I just think everything was inaccurate. We were getting NA stock numbers in the 215 range. wtf?

I will never trust those folks with my car again. I am surprised Jason's car didn't blow if those readings were right...which I suspect were off too.

At CP Race....my power pulls (last 4 or 5 runs) were all within like 5 whp of each other. The graphs all overlapped (except for that last water intercooled run of 385whp of course)

Old 08-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Originally Posted by g8tor20
I will never trust those folks with my car again. I am surprised Jason's car didn't blow if those readings were right...which I suspect were off too.
Yikes...

Old 08-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Todd's second run was 18.8 hp lower than the first, 362.8 and 344. IMHO, Entirely subject to heatsoak either of the headunit, intercooler, or both. My own vortech, procharged, and paxton cars would do the same thing in back to back scenarios. Ultimately, with a cool down period between runs I think you would have been very close. Mike Norris (NLP Owner) put his '05 mustang on the dyno today vs. his dyno on May 2, 2005. If you remember your first dyno day was May 7, 2005. Anyway, the Mustang GT has a total of 245 miles on it today and had about 180 on it back in May and nothing has been touched on the car. The car dyno'd 259.4hp/281.8tq today and 262.2hp/285 torque back on May 2. Pretty close numbers as the air temps were .8* difference, 97.3* today and 96.5* on May 2. It was more humid today and this past weekend than it was the beginning of May and the SAE correction factors "attempt" to modify for this but are NOT perfect.
My apologies if you felt that we were rushing thru the cars as it wasn't our intent. It may be somewhat my fault as the pricing structure for dyno days is based on quantity of cars being dyno'd. The guys thought we had more than 13 cars, two of them being mine, to be dyno'd and it does have to move quickly.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Okay...how do you justify finishing up runs and then re-running cars that are showing (whether its true or not) A/F levels that are in obvious danger limits. You have to do more than just look at the RPM's to know when to stop....

Old 08-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Jason, we all share in your frustration. Several of the runs should have been killed mid run and the cars should have been removed from the dyno IMMEDIATELY in my opinion. They definitely should not have been taken to redline TWICE showing a dangerously lean condition like they were.

The rest of us who were ran within 1 minute with no time for cool down what-so-ever all kind of like we were robbed of our $50. With a 5 minute cool down between runs and only having 13 runs, that would add a whole hour and 5 minutes to the length of the dyno day. A 10 minute cool down would have added ~2 hours. BIG DEAL!!!

I feel like we're all entitled to another free run or a 50% refund, but that's just me.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
I agree with you guys. I just looked at my first dyno run in P.R. and ran a 325.6 and with this one my best was a 316. The guy also told me the boost went up to 6lbs. That doesn't sound right. I should be @ 7lbs. Also, after that first dyno in P.R. I changed my cats and the exhaust and should of had an improvement.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
Okay...how do you justify finishing up runs and then re-running cars that are showing (whether its true or not) A/F levels that are in obvious danger limits. You have to do more than just look at the RPM's to know when to stop....
I can't justify it as I wasn't the one operating the car and monitoring the dyno for the pull. If you would like to call up and talk to Mike and ask him you are more than welcome to. I did tell Ian not to dyno again once I saw his curve. It is also somewhat up to the customer on a dyno day to have the proper tune in the car so we don't have to diagnose problems. Mike did take time to diagnose and attempt to isolate the issue with Matt's car and solenoid problem to put him on the track to fixing his issue.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Draco24433
I agree with you guys. I just looked at my first dyno run in P.R. and ran a 325.6 and with this one my best was a 316. The guy also told me the boost went up to 6lbs. That doesn't sound right. I should be @ 7lbs. Also, after that first dyno in P.R. I changed my cats and the exhaust and should of had an improvement.
An improvement in power, maybe but a decrease in boost to achieve the power. Remember, your exhaust is more free flowing now so you have less back pressure and less boost. You're flowing air more easily so your hp/tq should have increased, but the dyno did seem to be low for everyone there. Also, a retune might be in order since you changed your breathing components. I would tend to think that those mods would lean you out a bit.

Also, while I'm at it, I would strongly recommend the emanage ultimate for you. Ditch that reflash/tune before something bad happens. I feel really unsafe with anything Technosquare does, unless you're at they're facility and they're tuning you on a dyno.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
Jason, we all share in your frustration. Several of the runs should have been killed mid run and the cars should have been removed from the dyno IMMEDIATELY in my opinion. They definitely should not have been taken to redline TWICE showing a dangerously lean condition like they were.

The rest of us who were ran within 1 minute with no time for cool down what-so-ever all kind of like we were robbed of our $50. With a 5 minute cool down between runs and only having 13 runs, that would add a whole hour and 5 minutes to the length of the dyno day. A 10 minute cool down would have added ~2 hours. BIG DEAL!!!

I feel like we're all entitled to another free run or a 50% refund, but that's just me.
Bring it by!!! I have done a little research and now realize that CP Racing has a Dyno Dynamics dyno that they apparently add 13% to the numbers to IMITATE a DynoJet reading. Just something I read on my350z.com where they got a STOCK '05 35th anniversary car dynoed at 265whp. Hmmm, was the dynojet they are comparing to a 224 or 248, what were the weather conditions, as well all the info on the car used for comparison like strap tension, tire pressure, etc..........? You can't compare our numbers to theirs. Are your numbers the modified numbers or the actual Dyno Dynamics numbers?

Old 08-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Guys,

Could the low runs be due to the ECU pulling back timing due to the temps? This would be consistent for the low results we observed across the board. My SAE factors were .97 and 1.01 between my last dyno and this dyno so, the runs were adjusted. There was also a 20+ temp and 30% humidity difference between the two sets. I have to imagine that some timing would be pulled between the two run sets based on those conditions. Obviously, the SAE factor cannot adjust for the ECU pulling back timing.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Our runs at CP were also in very hot conditions. The numbers Todd and I are reporting from CP are corrected dynojet numbers. Another words...I was pulling about 341whp on that machine but then it adds 13% to get to dynojet numbers since they are the standard. The dyno dynamics rep was even there to watch my tuning.

And yes...it most certainly is your job to stop the runs if there is something unsafe. You just can't have people sign waivers and blow their engine and say it 's not your job. YOU are the one with the red button to stop the thing and YOU are the one who is watching the a/f levels with that screen turned around...not the customer. Don't you dare turn this around on us. You ran several cars at dangerous levels with no thought. Careless operating. Inexcusable. There is most certainly a duty upon you as operator to run a safe dyno...waiver or not. I'm just thankful and glad nobody's engine was damaged or I would have had some pro bono work on my hands....

As for numbers...they were pretty darn low even if it was hot. We had stock numbers in the teens (216 i think). Thats not right. And I don't think my wheels stopped spinning when you began run #2. Just not impressed with the level of care. Certainly not what I want on my 40K FI'd car.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:07 PM
The ecu only looks at the maf to get these variables and in openloop it only uses this for determining load. For the NA guys this could be the discrepancy but for the FI guys I can all but rule these out. Remember guys a dyno is for tuning not bragging rights. It gives you a large ballpark figure of your power. There is no definitive way of comparing power between two cars on different dyno's or for that matter the same car on different dynos. From what I saw the sniffer was working correctly because it read a bit higher than my wideband in my car and this is normal because the further downstream the sensor the higher the AF due to many factors. Normally a few tenths higher. If you doubt me do some internet research. I don't feel like explaining the reasons. I thought the reason we did these dyno days is to compare figures between cars on the same day and not to bench race on the internet.

Alan
The Village Idiot
Originally Posted by FLFIRE
Guys,

Could the low runs be due to the ECU pulling back timing due to the temps? This would be consistent for the low results we observed across the board. My SAE factors were .97 and 1.01 between my last dyno and this dyno so, the runs were adjusted. There was also a 20+ temp and 30% humidity difference between the two sets. I have to imagine that some timing would be pulled between the two run sets based on those conditions. Obviously, the SAE factor cannot adjust for the ECU pulling back timing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DYNO DAY, Aug. 27th at Next Level Performance...