DYNO DAY, Aug. 27th at Next Level Performance...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I doubt that my runs should vary by 25rwhp on the same day on back to back runs. That is a 7% error from run to run and that is not right.

1/(360/25) = 7%

If they blame it on heat soak then we all should get a 50% refund due to them hurrying us through. After all, wasn't it earlier in this post where we were told that we could do 2 or 3 runs and that the runs were so darn accurate that we wouldn't benefit from a 3rd run? I bet my 3rd run would have had a stock Ford Focus tearing me up on the track...

Last edited by neffster; 08-29-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:50 PM
I agree with you on the heat soak issues. Idling for 15 seconds between runs is hardly a cooldown. If they had larger fans they could have done it this way but they had an extremely small one for an indoor dyno. I was disappointed when I saw the one fan. I knew I was only going to get one run but I was having cooling issues anyway.
Originally Posted by neffster
Well I doubt that my runs should vary by 25rwhp on the same day on back to back runs. That is a 7% error from run to run and that is not right.

1/(360/25) = 7%

If they blame it on heat soak then we all should get a 50% refund due to them hurrying us through. After all, wasn't it earlier in this post where we were told that we could do 2 or 3 runs and that the runs were so darn accurate that we wouldn't benefit from a 3rd run? I bet my 3rd run would have had a stock Ford Focus tearing me up on the track...

Old 08-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
Our runs at CP were also in very hot conditions. The numbers Todd and I are reporting from CP are corrected dynojet numbers. Another words...I was pulling about 341whp on that machine but then it adds 13% to get to dynojet numbers since they are the standard. The dyno dynamics rep was even there to watch my tuning.

And yes...it most certainly is your job to stop the runs if there is something unsafe. You just can't have people sign waivers and blow their engine and say it 's not your job. YOU are the one with the red button to stop the thing and YOU are the one who is watching the a/f levels with that screen turned around...not the customer. Don't you dare turn this around on us. You ran several cars at dangerous levels with no thought. Careless operating. Inexcusable. There is most certainly a duty upon you as operator to run a safe dyno...waiver or not. I'm just thankful and glad nobody's engine was damaged or I would have had some pro bono work on my hands....

As for numbers...they were pretty darn low even if it was hot. We had stock numbers in the teens (216 i think). Thats not right. And I don't think my wheels stopped spinning when you began run #2. Just not impressed with the level of care. Certainly not what I want on my 40K FI'd car.
You cannot CORRECT a dyno dynamics dyno to give DynoJet numbers. It is an approximation!!!!! Just like the SAE figures!!!! I didn't say anything about what the temps up there were for your pulls, only how they have deduced the 13% figure for conditions relative to adding that in for ALL cars.
Again, I was not operating the dyno and had no control over it. That was my boss. As a side note, I'm glad your into offering Pro Bono work to fellow G owners. If anyone needs an attorney you know who to call. I already have my own.
My car did 219rwhp with 650miles on it and never seeing over 4000rpm until the dynoday. I'm not bitching, just getting ready to compare it to the TT thats going on. That's the purpose of the dyno, record changes for a given modification for comparison and then kick everyones a$$ on the street, besides you Alan.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM

1/(360/25) = 7%

Thats funny!! How does 18.8rwhp=25rwhp. I know, round up!!! I do know a couple 400+frontwhp foci. I made you the offer to bring it back by.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 98intrigue
Even though no one agreed with me, I could have sworn Todd's first run put down the 36xwhp and his next run was lower.
^^^+1

Old 08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by MadBoost
Thats funny!! How does 18.8rwhp=25rwhp. I know, round up!!! I do know a couple 400+frontwhp foci. I made you the offer to bring it back by.
Maybe you should just leave "well enough" alone Tom.

It obvious that our entire club felt "jipped" by the lack of cool down time provided between runs and the lack of caution used when a couple of our cars ran dangerously lean. When you come into our club internet forum and try to defend these decisions and end up attacking us for voicing our concerns, well it just makes you look extremely bad in our eyes.

Maybe you should step back and view this from a 3rd parties perspective and quit personalizing OUR experience.

WE are the customer and WE were not happy. You should not attack us for our valid points.

Ian dynoed 10rwhp and 9rwtq lower than he did in May with NO MODS. The SAE correction is supposed to adjust for any and all changes in horsepower, air density, density altitude, virtual temperature, absolute pressure, vapor pressure, relative humidity and apparently it didn't. Ryan also saw similar drops from his previous dyno and all he did was swap out his wheels. Mike himself even said that 10 or 11rwhp due to changing out wheels was way off.

If you plan on tuning your car on this dyno will you do IMMEDIATE back to back pulls? Would you expect better than 5% or 6% or 7% error from pull to pull?

You also stated... "It is also somewhat up to the customer on a dyno day to have the proper tune in the car so we don't have to diagnose problems." Well dyno days are used to determine if there are any problems with our previous tunes, right? Are we supposed to hold a dyno day to see if our cars are all tuned right before we have a dyno day at your shop?

Your argument about comparing numbers from one type of dyno to another is valid, but everything else you're saying is way off. The person who loses 15 or 20 or 25rwhp from pull to pull DESERVES TO BE UPSET WITH POOR OPERATION PRACTICES AND SHOULD BE GIVEN A REFUND!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:05 AM
On a different note:
How to use the Dynojet software to read as we would like
1. Find your run file and open it(if you can't do this I have a gun and we will take you out back and shoot you).
2. Click once on the bottom graph and select engine speed not the default of speed.
3. Go to the extreme right where it says "None", click it once and choose torque.
4. Go to box in the top that has a picture of a graph and two squigly(sp?) lines and choose this. It will give you another box in the bottom.
5. Click on the lefthand side of this box where it says "None" and choose AF. Voila!
The graph the way you wanted it. Hope I helped.
Alan

Old 08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
I wasn't going to bring it up, because I needed to have my car dyno'd (and am glad I found out what I found), but I was suspect of the whole operation when the guy driving the cars on the dyno took my keys and made the comment "it's not my car" when someone mentioned to him that my car would have trouble getting on the dyno because of how low it was. The fact of the matter is, you are driving MY $40,000.00+ car and you had better respect that. I don't give a flying sh*t that you have corvettes next door, that this is your shop or anything else. You take MY keys in your hand and you respect the sh*t out of MY car, regardless of whether or not there are 20 others like it sitting outside.

To top it off, two runs at above 14 a/f pulls were done on my motor. The waiver I signed didn't say anything about "owners may drive your car beyond safe limits because they could give two sh*ts and aren't making a lot of money off of the deal." I was really really really close to bringing this up on saturday, but there were bigger concerns on my mind. Just out of curiousity, wouldn't it be nice of him to say "hey, your a/f topped 14 on that first run, do you want me to do another run.. I don't think I should"? What does this say about the owner of a shop who doesn't run a dyno with any concern for the cars on it?

Oh and by the way, you might want to check the pulley on the cog belt of the G35 sitting on the other side of your shop on the lift. If you guys are so "knowledgable" why is the belt running over a non toothed pulley? And if you didn't install the kit, this is another point added to the fact that you really don't care about the customer's cars that come into the shop.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
FGC's official flip flopper
The person who loses 15 or 20 or 25rwhp from pull to pull DESERVES TO BE UPSET WITH POOR OPERATION PRACTICES AND SHOULD BE GIVEN A REFUND!

Exactly. Those runs were done within 30 seconds of each other. However, I am much more concerned with your shop's mentality that its up to the customer to be properly tuned. Thats BS. If you see something wrong, you have the ability (and responsibility) to stop the dyno. At least three FI cars ran lean...including mine. Your chart showed I was running above 13:1 a/f. The other guys were showing even higher than that. As operator....those first runs should have been stopped and the second runs should have never happened.

As a side note, I'm glad your into offering Pro Bono work to fellow G owners. If anyone needs an attorney you know who to call. I already have my own.
Good to hear. If your boss keeps running his dyno's like that, you'll need him. And while your at it, you can ask him if all liability is on the customer as you tend to infer. Waiver or not, you owe a duty to your customers...a duty which was most certainly breached. Again...I'm just thankful nobody, including me, damaged an engine.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Guys this is going nowhere. Please stop. If you didn't appreciate the way your car was treated just don't go back there. Simple enough! STB!!!

I rescend my comments on the sniffer there. I rescaled and remapped my run to show the entire run and the good news is I created 474lb/ft of torque. The dip is because I'm pulling out too much timing too soon. I need to start at 12psi and take out more then. The bad news is it said I was lean. I know this is not true because at 13.0:1, I would have been knocking and my knock sensor said nada. I even have my wideband on the drivers side cylinder bank which is the leanest bank on our cars and it never said anything over 12.0:1 through the whole run. Take a look. I don't know what to think now?

Old 08-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Well their dyno said my A/F was near perfect and my CP Racing Dyno shows me being much more rich up top. Now I know CP Racing used my wideband A/F bung in my cat to do the tuning so... Does anyone know for sure whether tail pipe sniffers read higher than pre-cat bungs? I thought they read higher but now I'm second guessing myself.

Also, Alan, your PM's are turned off? I thing I've got some news for you and the club forum...

Last edited by neffster; 08-30-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
Oh and by the way, you might want to check the pulley on the cog belt of the G35 sitting on the other side of your shop on the lift. If you guys are so "knowledgable" why is the belt running over a non toothed pulley? And if you didn't install the kit, this is another point added to the fact that you really don't care about the customer's cars that come into the shop.
That would be because the "shop" that installed it tends to do quite a few cars like that with the cog side running on a flat pulley. Fortunately, they went out of business. Of course it was fixed this morning.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
Exactly. Those runs were done within 30 seconds of each other. However, I am much more concerned with your shop's mentality that its up to the customer to be properly tuned. Thats BS. If you see something wrong, you have the ability (and responsibility) to stop the dyno. At least three FI cars ran lean...including mine. Your chart showed I was running above 13:1 a/f. The other guys were showing even higher than that. As operator....those first runs should have been stopped and the second runs should have never happened.

Good to hear. If your boss keeps running his dyno's like that, you'll need him. And while your at it, you can ask him if all liability is on the customer as you tend to infer. Waiver or not, you owe a duty to your customers...a duty which was most certainly breached. Again...I'm just thankful nobody, including me, damaged an engine.
I do agree with you and stated I was NOT the one controlling the car or watching any of the information during the pass hence I could not make a decision to halt. You keep bitching at me like I was controlling it. I wasn't even around the cars and the A/F measurements except for Ian and one other. I haven't even looked at my two cars A/F. All I came on to defend was the numbers with evidence it was not reading "low" as was inferred on the dyno day as well as on this forum. I have forwarded your feelings to Mike on how the cars were operated. If you would like to call and talk to him, you are more than welcome to.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
... All I came on to defend was the numbers with evidence it was not reading "low" as was inferred on the dyno day as well as on this forum.
Tom, it's tough to deny that there were two cars that dynoed in May and again over the weekend. Both of those cars lost ~10rwhp over the last 6 months on the same dyno with no mods. You yourself said Mike's mustang dynos only varied by 2.8rwhp and 3.2rwtq over the same timeframe. That's the same type of variances we expected to see and we saw 3 to 4 times that. Should that make us happy? Do we have a right to be upset?

Wouldn't you say the dyno was reading "lower" than before if you were us? (again, put yourself in our shoes). It's not like we are bashing you, Mike or your shop. We just have our own forum and we are voicing our own opinions. It's not like we're taking out an add in the Orlando Sentinel and bashing your business...

Old 08-30-2005, 01:17 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
You came onto this forum and defended your shop...so...you are kinda their representative in that regard. So...even though the bashing is more towards the shop and the operator, you get the leading end of our frustration. Nothing personal man....but I did reference your boss and not really you on a personal level. I don't want to discourage you from entertaining in any discussion...but don't come on here and defend your boss or the shop and then act disinterested when we voice our opinion against your argument.

Beyond that...its done with. Like alan said...I just won't go there anymore. Simple solution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DYNO DAY, Aug. 27th at Next Level Performance...