Need "how to" help on burning CD with multiple folders.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Need "how to" help on burning CD with multiple folders.

I asked this on the Tech forum but no one replied , maybe my fellow FGC members can help me . . .

I want to burn WMA files to a CD-R using Windows Media Player version 9.1 on an XP o/s. I want to structure the WMA files into folders by music type. For example, I want all the Classical music files under the "Classical" folder and all the rock music files in the "Rock" folder.

The problem is that I do not know how to create and name folders using Windows Media Player to then put the files into. I can create and name multiple playlists, but when I get to the burning to CD utility, it only lets me pick one playlist.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I use another application? Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's because what you are trying to do is actually burn a data cd not a music cd. Use Nero or Roxio EZ CD.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:12 AM
FGC Central Florida BOD
yeah, if your planning to be able to pop the CD into your car sterio, it wont work if you have folders.

A CD only holds ~18 or so songs so its not really beneficial to separate them with folders. But, if you really wish to do it, you need to burn it as a Data CD and you'll have full control to make folders and such. If you do that, I would recommend going ahead and burning them as MP3s though.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^i agree, burn them as a mp3 data disc, but wma work too. at least my 05 G play wma's

Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by dabomb
yeah, if your planning to be able to pop the CD into your car sterio, it wont work if you have folders.

A CD only holds ~18 or so songs so its not really beneficial to separate them with folders. But, if you really wish to do it, you need to burn it as a Data CD and you'll have full control to make folders and such. If you do that, I would recommend going ahead and burning them as MP3s though.
I'm sorry, maybe I need to be more clear. I have an aftermarket head unit that accepts both MP3 and WMA codec files. I want to use WMA, though the principle is the same for MP3. I want to store hundreds of songs on the CD-R and organize them into folders. My aftermarket head unit supports this.

What I'm having trouble with is how to create these folders and organize the music files into these folders from Window Media Player burn function. Should I just organize these in MS Explorer and copy over to the CD?

Old 01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WMA is not a highly recognized format of media. If you are looking at using this CD in a Mp3 reading player, you would first have to convert the MWA to mp3 (maybe re-burning the info as mp3), then transfer those Mp3 files to a cd

+++Just read your reply.

Whenever you locate what folder your songs are stored in, the window to your left should have an option the states "copy folder or selected items to cd". Select folders or files (maybe select all) and hit that option. It should transfer all highlighted items over. You continue to select until you have finished and then burn/copy. Presto

Last edited by vrsc; 01-30-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:24 PM
FGC Central Florida BOD
You can but dont have to. You need to burn as a Data CD and then you can just "create folder" and then add the files into those directories you create. Or you can do it in Explorer and copy the root which should keep the subfolders and their contents.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:12 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan
I'm sorry, maybe I need to be more clear. I have an aftermarket head unit that accepts both MP3 and WMA codec files. I want to use WMA, though the principle is the same for MP3. I want to store hundreds of songs on the CD-R and organize them into folders. My aftermarket head unit supports this.

What I'm having trouble with is how to create these folders and organize the music files into these folders from Window Media Player burn function. Should I just organize these in MS Explorer and copy over to the CD?
I don't see why you want to use Microsoft's WMA format. WMA is Microsoft's protected audio format that is similar to MP3, but controlled by Microsoft's (evil) DRM scheme.

It appears from your comments that you can now burn CD's using Window's Media Player. I didn't know that, but I don't ever use Microsoft's WMA format either. Most people probably use software like Nero, or the best freeware audio CD ripping/burning tool ever Exact Audio Copy (EAC).

EAC is a bit tricky to set up the first time, but it is designed to copy audio CD disks accurately. It works very well. Try it unless you're locked into the WMA format.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 PM
To all who replied . . . Thanks!

I was making this harder then it needed to be because I got stuck on the CD burning utility on Windows Media Player when in reality I can just organize and transfer these files to a CD using MS Windows Explorer like any other type of file.

I'm using the WMA format because I understand it is smaller and sounds better than the MP3 format. The playing device I have reads both MP3 and WMA files.