Renting Track for a day..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeremy,
On your power steering removal what did you do about the belt and how did you prevent the rack from degrading since the power steering fluid lubricates this?

Old 06-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok...

here is what i did, i took out the pump and had to shorten the belt. after you have it out and have the new track for the belt to run, you will need to take a string and put it around the pulleys in order that you want it to run. then measure it and go to the parts store for a 6 rib belt in that?? many inches.

we actually took out the pressure fittings where they connected to the steering rack and then had to drive around just a bit to get all the fluid out of there. it makes a big mess.

i love the feeling of it without power steering, it will take a couple days to get used to. then you will never want it again. the only hard thing is to talk on the phone and turn the wheel at a dead stop. once you are going 2 mph there is no difference at all..

Old 06-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
as far as the rack from degrading, i think if it did it would be a good thing, it would be easier to turn at a stand still. i really didnt do anything to prevent this, on my integra i used to race, i just got the rack and pinion off a cx honda hatch back. much easier....

i will let you know if i have any problems though....

Old 06-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I was talking to the guys at Z1 about a track event coming up and mentioned your car to them. They said that many 300zx people have tried this and the rack and pinnon wore out really fast. He said that maybe if you could seal some oil in there it may last for a long time but they have never tried it. Maybe something you could look at with your car?

I tried taking the plastic off of the brake and battery compartment and drove it around for awhile. It was really hot in there without it so I decided that it really does need those since my battery just like yours can't stand any heat.

Hey - if you do decided to go to Barber with me, there is a SCCA/NASA approved roll bar/cage builder next to the track. They make one for the 350Z that you can race with, just a thought if you wanted to order one and pick it up after Barber so you don't have to pay for shipping.
The cage builder is Kirk Racing.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
yeah i dont like the cage that kirk racing makes, their cages are too universal looking for me. they dont flow with the lines of the interior.

i will have a cage soon but i will get someone around here that does custom cages to build it how i want it.

as far as the steerin goes, i ran my integra like that for over a year with no problems, i really dont see anything going wrong with my setup but now you have me worrying.... thanks!!! just kidding, i wish i could buy a rack and pinion steering rack for it.

i will just see what happens but i am not really worried...

as far as barber goes, i have a lot going on in the next month. i will see when i will be ready to go. hopefully soon!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 AM
I agree about the Kirk cage not flowing - yet they have to follow guidelines that tell them how the cage can be built. That is why it looks the way it does. There is only one other of-the-shelf roll bar manufacture for the Z and that is Autopower and theirs looks even woarse.
If you don't follow these guidelines, and have some modifications to the design to make it look better, they won't let you race. I am getting a roll bar so I can install some racing seats and harnesses. Since you are not suppose to use a harness without a roll bar. And I want it legal in case I decided to start to do hill climbs (where you have to have a roll bar).
Here are the regulations - turn to page 58 for the roll cage:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Last edited by MoodDude; 06-11-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:50 AM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Here are the regulations - turn to page 58 for the roll cage:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf
Wow, they're pretty strict.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes, they are strict for a reason - to ensure you walk away from a crash. Installing a roll cage in any other fashion and they won't let you race, and you just spent money on a heavy piece of equipment.
Also, they will NOT let you race if your car has over 560rwhp! And if you add FI to your car, you have to take it to an approved shop to dyno and weigh the car and they will class your car that way. Which for me puts me in TTU (Time Trail Unlimited), this means that any car with any modification within the rules will be competing with me if I ever get to that point. Something to think about before you go crazy with hoarse power!

Old 06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
yeah well horsepower can ALWAYS be adjusted with a boost controller. yes the autopower does look worse too.

i will find the guidelines you mentionsed and NHRA guidelines and build it accordingly. the problem i have with all the manufactored roll cages is the bar coming straight down on the front of the doors. ithink it should flow nicely into the dash.then go straight down. i will find some more pictures of a 350z i saw online that had a perfect cage!!!

let me go find the links....

Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Cool, I think that NHRA exceed the NASA and SCCA roll cage. No one makes them for the Z yet. There is a guy on this forum that has almost the exact same set up on this forum as me, but he drag races his car. He said he has talked to a cage builder somewhere on the east coast that wants to start building a NHRA cage for the Z. Yet, he needs someone to volenteer his car. You may be able to get a free cage that way?

PM - Mrtomcat on my350z (I think that is his forum name?)

Old 06-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
yeah i know mr tomcat. i chat with him on the drag section. i think he is up north though. there are some great cage builders here in orlando.

i will pm mytomcat and see what he might have been talking about though..

Old 06-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
yeah i know mr tomcat. i chat with him on the drag section. i think he is up north though. there are some great cage builders here in orlando.

i will pm mytomcat and see what he might have been talking about though..

HEy Jermey, talk to Jake LaMotta at LaMotta Performance bout a cage, he could probably give you all the specs for a NHRA style cage.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
yeah i am going to look into getting it done in the next couple weeks, maybe hold off on the motor swap till then cause i am NOT going to drop off my TT Z anywhere without me being next to it....

Old 06-12-2006, 09:33 AM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah i am going to look into getting it done in the next couple weeks, maybe hold off on the motor swap till then cause i am NOT going to drop off my TT Z anywhere without me being next to it....

good idea.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Chicken

Are you going to put a boost controller on that bad boy? I found a real benifit on the road coarse since I could adjust the gain so the power would come on more predictable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renting Track for a day..