Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

What to do with ~10k Dollars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
^ lame ^

you need to do a little research on some of the amazing G cars out on the road these days...

i love the G, not a talon, which is why I bought a G, nothing wrong with making it faster - 500 hp/tq not fast enough for you?
I've seen plenty of them, just don't get it. When you can spend 10K on a motor build, and another 6 on a turbo kit, to make a whopping 500hp...and run what, a traction limited 12? wow.... I've got less than 12 in my talon, 547hp on 110octane....can you say 10's?

Nah, 500hp of tire spinning is quite fun, if thats what you like to do. I see that a lot of people put a LOT of money in their G35/350z's to make good hp. I guess it's to each his own. I like my cars to do what they do well.... G35 = luxy cruiser... I just think that unless you are VERY picky about who and how you build you "G", it ends up no longer being a daily driver....

Get yourself a playcar, put some rims on the G, lower it, audio, etc...

my .02

Old 07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Devil's Advocate
Originally Posted by mraturbo
Thanks Roneski for the good words.

How is your car running?

Calspeedway 7-21-06

www.Speedventures.net

M
Car's running great. I went off course at LVMS pretty bad and I have a little vibration that I'm trying to get figured out. I suspect that a bent frame support could be causing it. Hopefully it's not bent so bad that a fresh alignment can't compensate for it.

I'm literally going to be swamped wth work all summer long so I don't know if I'll make Cal Speedway. But I'll try if I can get that weekend free.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Devil's Advocate
Oh wait, is that going to be the day vs. the Modena? Damn, I will definitely have to try and get out there.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
thx for the input on the vb - maybe waiting for the clutchpack upgrade is not such a bad idea...

In regards to the vibration:

i hit a rock doing 100 (passing going downhill!) about the size of a small watermelon! The G kept its composure when the rock hit the passenger front tire and went flying into the air but I developed an immediate vibration when turning the steering wheel slightly to the right (such as when changing lanes).

I had an ace suspension guy dx it for $20 before I went to the dealer. He told me the wheel bearing was damaged because there was too much play in the wheel (up on a lift - hold the tire and try to wiggle it). The dealer took 2 tries to figure it out and couldn't (did alignment, checked tires, checked suspension) and I finally had to insist that they replace the wheel bearing.

Presto - back to normal!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Devil's Advocate
Cool, I'll check that out.

I got my left 2 wheels off course on a right turn that I was entering way too fast. Unfortunately there was a good 6 inch difference between the dirt and pavement at that particular spot. I slid on the left side of my frame for a good 30 feet. Hence the bent frame support and some heavy scarring on my frame rail.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by roneski
Car's running great. I went off course at LVMS pretty bad and I have a little vibration that I'm trying to get figured out. I suspect that a bent frame support could be causing it. Hopefully it's not bent so bad that a fresh alignment can't compensate for it.

I'm literally going to be swamped wth work all summer long so I don't know if I'll make Cal Speedway. But I'll try if I can get that weekend free.
Might be the Cross Member Frame. I bent it on my G.

M

Old 07-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone saying 10k will get you a single turbo kit is wrong. It costs a tad bit more to have the thing running safely.

Everyone saying get APS TT is wrong also. 10-11k to install the kit, but where's the tranny accessories/gauges etc?

Old 07-09-2006, 05:46 AM
"about the size of a small watermelon!" lol that made me laugh..... :0) yea if im going to do FI ill go w/ the vortech.. but yea i dont know if i want to risk a blown motor :0/ we will see once this bike sells and i have 10k sitting infront of me.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Down_Shift

Everyone saying get APS TT is wrong also. 10-11k to install the kit, but where's the tranny accessories/gauges etc?
10k wil get you into an APS twin turbo system (fitted and tuned) - you can do gauges and drivetrain mods down the path if you really want/need to.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Do not listen to james!!!!! you want guages and you want a tune when you fit your kit. most shops drop the motor to put the aps tt on, and parts plus labor will run you a little overyour limit. plan on 12,000 with exhaust, guages and tune. if 10 grand is your limit, i wouldnt look at the any of the tt kits.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by bullitproof
Do not listen to james!!!!! you want guages and you want a tune when you fit your kit. most shops drop the motor to put the aps tt on, and parts plus labor will run you a little overyour limit. plan on 12,000 with exhaust, guages and tune. if 10 grand is your limit, i wouldnt look at the any of the tt kits.
True, if you add a decent exhaust then add another $1200 to the cost. I'd rather spend the extra $$$ on a decent high torque clutch than gauges.

James

Old 07-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Never enough
Buy it used and your set! I just happen to know someone that is selling,lol.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM
I am getting the Greddy TT installed and tuned w/ everything: HKS F-Con IS (new smaller brother to V-pro) fuel pump BOV etc. for 8.7K. No gauges, I already have exhaust/test pipes.

Call Mark at SGP. I am basically getting parts for cost and he is charging 2.5 K for install and tune.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by BrianlG35C
For a decent build (after blowing your motor) with the best forged pistons and rods expect at least $10K+ including install.
thats not that bad...blown engine sounds so scary!!

Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Down_Shift
Everyone saying 10k will get you a single turbo kit is wrong. It costs a tad bit more to have the thing running safely.

Depends on the power goals. $10k might be enough for a single T along with a nice fuel management computer. Tuned conservatively it should be adequate, but yes as you are pointing out it's a bit bare ***** and one should have additional gauges to monitor their car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to do with ~10k Dollars