Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
No Limit,

540...but remember, I originally got the exhuast for the group buy price of 940. So, w/ the 540, I ended up paying what I would for an HKS. The F. In is really well made and looks beautiful, so I am not upset. The bottom line is that I get what I want. The sound is growing on me. Like I said, I LOVE the sound at WOT and the performance is awesome for NA.

I tried to load the dyno (after scanning) but the upload failed. Alan (above) asked me to e-mail it to him, I did so maybe he will post later.

Speaking of money, I agreed on a price for an upgraded long block (that includes head work) TT install, clutch, and guages from SGP. Its a lot, but about 4 K less than what Jotech wants for a similar job.

That is w/ a top quality organic clutch.

Do you think I should go w/ a tripple carbon fiber (ATS) or will that be undesirable as a daily driver?
ehh, ... the point with the $540 was not that it ultimately fixed, ... but rather that the exhaust manufacturer would have/should have fixed the issue and not SGP and YOUR wallet. just bad customer service. bad bad bad...
but i digress....

about the clutch, the ATS triple carbon is a Breeze to drive everyday! I love it!! I have driven in Hours of rush hour traffic in LA with it and it's fine (as compared to any other Lightened flywheel/clutch combo).
For ~500HP, ... an organic or kevlar mix street disk with 'heavy duty' preasure plate is fine IMO.
My personal favorite is the Clutch Masters Stage 3, or FX300 as it's called now, with a JUN lightweight flywheel. The CM FX300 has the segmented kevlar disk, and should hold fine on a DD at 500whp.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks Alan,

OK, so I am getting lots of PM's aking me about the V-Pro and engine management. My first advice is to go over to my350z.com and search the tuning section. start w/ the thread I posted above.

Now, it might seem that everyone at my350z is using the UTEC...that is because it is the most self tunable (IE home tuners can tune). I personally am not intersted in tuning my own car I prefer to pay a professional and get max performance.

Nonetheless, the UTEC would probably be my first choice if I wanted a piggyback to self tune. However, the F-Con IS is possibly a better piggyback. The Emanage Ultimate is a step down from these two. The Unichip is maybe a half step down from the EU (it comes w/ the APS TT, but I wouldn't use it if I were TT...I would throw it away).

The larger question is, what are your goals? If you are staying NA, then you should be fine w/ the EU or UTEC. As awesome are the NA results from the V-Pro, It is debatable if they justify the extra 2k (more if you self tune) remember, about 1K goes towards installation and tuning...the V-Pro takes way more time and effort to tune. It depends what you want. If you want the ultimate in NA, then get the V-Pro. But here is the deal: If you want the ultimate, then you will probably not be happy staying NA. You will want to eventually go FI. Then, the V-Pro is an absolute must. The Management sytems that come w/ the systems like APS and JWT simply are not good enough for those outstanding Garret turbos (Unnichip, SS box). Nor, IMO, is the supporting equipment (fuel return etc....although JWT doesn't have fuel return).

That is why I am going w/ the Greddy, because I will save money on all the stuff I would throw out w/ the other systems. I will have the best eng. management fuel return, engine build etc.

And to put it all together why wouldn't I have the best eng. Managment?

Old 09-02-2006, 03:43 PM
No Limit,

I would never describe Rick and Tony's customer service as bad. Tony was very upset by the matter and cares very much about the issue. Remember, I saved 400 on the group buy. I did so because it was a new design. I think that what happened is that Tony designed the Exhaust based upon Ricks 05 and there was a diff in the two model years. I am sure it will all get settled out.

Please everyone. Don't say bad customer service and Tony in the same sentence. In fact, I am sure that once we get to the bottom of the matter, Tony will probably find a way to make it up to me

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-02-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:59 PM
No Limit,

What do you think of that Torque line (the aqua one that pretty much stays at around 250lbs from 2300 RPM to 5K)?

Old 09-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by NoLimit
ehh, ... the point with the $540 was not that it ultimately fixed, ... but rather that the exhaust manufacturer would have/should have fixed the issue and not SGP and YOUR wallet. just bad customer service. bad bad bad...
but i digress....
Bad customer service on whos end? I hope you are not saying on mine, because I had no knowledge of the situation until the wheels were in motion by another shop (allegedly) that SGP had fix the exhaust. So hopefully with that said you understand where I am coming from now. One last thing and I cant say this enough, the Intimidator exhaust was prototyped off of a 2006 Rev Up, NOT RICK'S CAR...Tony

Old 09-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey Tony,

The more I drive the car the more I like the sound. It might just be me, but it seems that it is really settling in and the sound is more subtle at low RPMs. In fact, if I cruise at 3k RPM's there is no drone at all, and just a little if I cruise at a lower RPM. It has also seemed to become more exotic....the sound really turned heads when I drove down to the town center tonight.

So I am personally happy. However, it would be interesting to see if anyone else w/ an 06 had fitment issues. I wonder if it has anything to do w/ the fact that I have RAS (rear active steering)? RAS is totally new for the G's, and only a handful of cars have it. I have one of the few cars in the country w/ RAS.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Tony,

The more I drive the car the more I like the sound. It might just be me, but it seems that it is really settling in and the sound is more subtle at low RPMs. In fact, if I cruise at 3k RPM's there is no drone at all, and just a little if I cruise at a lower RPM. It has also seemed to become more exotic....the sound really turned heads when I drove down to the town center tonight.

So I am personally happy. However, it would be interesting to see if anyone else w/ an 06 had fitment issues. I wonder if it has anything to do w/ the fact that I have RAS (rear active steering)? RAS is totally new for the G's, and only a handful of cars have it. I have one of the few cars in the country w/ RAS.
It is possible that RAS could be where your issue is, as far as fitment is concerned. I will consult my Infiniti Master Tech Library for more info.

How many miles have you driven the car with the exhaust?

Rick

Old 09-02-2006, 11:33 PM
about 60...liking it more and more

Old 09-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
about 60...liking it more and more
Cool - it takes a good 100-150 miles for the system to season properly...ENJOY!!

Rick

Old 09-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Rick, Tony,

I edited my orininal post and noted that *** I drive the car more and it seasons, the loudness and drone at low RPM's are dissapating.

It really had a nice sound coming home tonight.

Oh, and here is another thread about the V-Pro : https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=109892&page=3

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-03-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FastIntentions
Bad customer service on whos end? I hope you are not saying on mine, because I had no knowledge of the situation until the wheels were in motion by another shop (allegedly) that SGP had fix the exhaust. So hopefully with that said you understand where I am coming from now. One last thing and I cant say this enough, the Intimidator exhaust was prototyped off of a 2006 Rev Up, NOT RICK'S CAR...Tony
Not you by any means, ... i was saying that "whomever" installed the exhaust, and then had some issues, ... should have just contacted you guys to resolve the issue instead of just charging their customer another 500$. You guys would've helped out since it was not the fault of the customer i'm sure.
I'm willing to bet that the RAS is the issue, I know that it causes fitment issues on at least a couple other exhausts.(Injen & HKS i think)

Old 09-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks Alan,

OK, so I am getting lots of PM's aking me about the V-Pro and engine management. My first advice is to go over to my350z.com and search the tuning section. start w/ the thread I posted above.

Now, it might seem that everyone at my350z is using the UTEC...that is because it is the most self tunable (IE home tuners can tune). I personally am not intersted in tuning my own car I prefer to pay a professional and get max performance.

Nonetheless, the UTEC would probably be my first choice if I wanted a piggyback to self tune. However, the F-Con IS is possibly a better piggyback. The Emanage Ultimate is a step down from these two. The Unichip is maybe a half step down from the EU (it comes w/ the APS TT, but I wouldn't use it if I were TT...I would throw it away).

The larger question is, what are your goals? If you are staying NA, then you should be fine w/ the EU or UTEC. As awesome are the NA results from the V-Pro, It is debatable if they justify the extra 2k (more if you self tune) remember, about 1K goes towards installation and tuning...the V-Pro takes way more time and effort to tune. It depends what you want. If you want the ultimate in NA, then get the V-Pro. But here is the deal: If you want the ultimate, then you will probably not be happy staying NA. You will want to eventually go FI. Then, the V-Pro is an absolute must. The Management sytems that come w/ the systems like APS and JWT simply are not good enough for those outstanding Garret turbos (Unnichip, SS box). Nor, IMO, is the supporting equipment (fuel return etc....although JWT doesn't have fuel return).

That is why I am going w/ the Greddy, because I will save money on all the stuff I would throw out w/ the other systems. I will have the best eng. management fuel return, engine build etc.

And to put it all together why wouldn't I have the best eng. Managment?
don't forget about the Unichip-Q. should be right there with the UTEC as far as management, plus it has better 'features'...

Old 09-03-2006, 01:55 AM
No Limit,

I am still waiting for some more detailed comments on the dyno.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:59 AM
Thumbs up

No Limit,

What do you think of that Torque line (the aqua one that pretty much stays at around 250lbs from 2300 RPM to 5K)?
Very Nice! when i get home, i will probably just install the v pro with my car almost stock, just for the hell of it. (i just put a blitz SUS intake w/home made intake tube)
So what are all the mods you have ont he car right now?

Old 09-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Who is going to tune? You have several options in CA.

My mods are listed in my sig.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust