Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust

OK, I know that this should go in the review section, but everyone knows me from forced induction and has been waiting for my review of the V-Pro.

I also had SGP install my test pipes and Fast Intentions (F.In) dual cat back exhaust. As I have stated, SGP is the Soup **** of VQ3.5 high performance (surly customer service w/ attitude, but awesome work for very fair prices).

Ok, first, the F.In test pipes and exhaust are loud...a little too loud, especially at low RPM's....they don't sound like they did in the clips posted by Rick. EDIT: As I drive the car more and the exhaust "seasons" I am liking the sound more and more the loudness at low RPM's is dissapating as is the drone.

Also, I had to spend 540 extra for mandrel fitment because they don't fit the Rev Up. Tony has great customer service and is a great guy, but the exhaust didn't fit.

However, the exhaust does flow very well and Sean at SGP believes they will be fine even when I am eventually pushing over 500 rwhp (going to eventually have the Soup ***** do an upgraded long block build w/ Greddy TT's).

Now, for performance. The most AMAZING thing, and tis is mostly due to the V-Pro, is the low end performance. The car now pulls like a V-8 at low RPMs. This fact is born out by the dyno: the car is making nearly 250 lbs of torque at only 2300 RPM. The difference is NIGHT and Day. and when I stomp on the accelerator, the car just screams at WOT....ironically while I don't like the F.In at lower RPMs (loud, has some drone) the sound is delicious above 3.5K RPMs. I mean she really screams....she sounds ANGRY and the performance matches.

Although she only dynoed at a true 268 hp, the car is light year faster than when she was stock, or even w/ the MREV2w/5/16/spacer and Pop Charger. And remember, most hp claims are VASTLY OVERATED! Also, stock G's usually only make around 210-225 rwhp on an honest dyno. 268 honest whp w/ a full range of torque is a guge amount of difference. Of course the argument could be made that it is not worth the 7K extra I spent to get it.

So, right now I feel that I am close to the performance limits of NA and waiting to take the next step. The V-Pro is the ****, gentlemen and women. the car has power now at virtually any RPM, whereas before she really only made significant power between 4 and 6.5K RPM.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-07-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Post Dyno Chart!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:41 AM
lets see if this works...nope...try this: http://us.f331.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...nt#attachments

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-02-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Subjective!!!

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I also had SGP install my test pipes and Fast Intentions (F.In) dual cat back exhaust. As I have stated, SGP is the Soup **** of VQ3.5 high performance (surly customer service w/ attitude, but awesome work for very fair prices).

Ok, first, the F.In test pipes and exhaust are loud...a little too loud, especially at low RPM's....they don't sound like they did in the clips posted by Rick. Also, I had to spend 540 extra for mandrel fitment because they don't fit the Rev Up. Tony has great customer service and is a great guy, but the exhaust didn't fit.
Well first off, I am glad you are overall pleased with your car. However, I cannot tell you how our exhaust will sound in conjunction with the other drastic mods. you have made. My bigger concern is the fact that this shop told you that the Intimidator exhaust didnt fit, when in fact it was prototyped off of a 2006 Rev Up. I wont go in to detail about the discussions we had about the way you told me they treated you. All I have to say is 540 extra dollars to spend is a lot of money that quite possibly didnt need to be spent.

Tony

Last edited by FastIntentions; 09-02-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh man ive always wondered what V-pro would do on an n/a car!! very nice!

Old 09-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Tony,

The bottom line is that the F.In exhaust is extremely well made and is not restrictive. Overall, I am happy w/ it and don't mind spending a little extra money. Remember, I got it for the group buy price so overall it cost me about as much as an HKS, and the F.Int. is every bit as good as the HKS. Bottom line: I recommend the F. In.

Sean said that it is, if anything, a little overmuffled (yet still free flowing) so I am shure that other aftermarket exhausts would also be loud. I have been told that exhaust always sound different on the car than from internet sound clips.

A good way to settle the fitment matter is to get hold of the shop that purportedly did the mandrel adjustments. Has anyone else w/ an 06 Rev-up G installed it?

Also, everyone should know that Tony has great customer service. He always answers the phone when you call, and will take time to talk to you if you need him.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-02-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 AM
damn, ... 540$ exxtra!!???
you really need to look elsewhere for future mods......
just my 2¢

that link you posted is towards your email....
can you resize and attach it to the website? thanks!

Old 09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
No Limit,

540...but remember, I originally got the exhuast for the group buy price of 940. So, w/ the 540, I ended up paying what I would for an HKS. The F. In is really well made and looks beautiful, so I am not upset. The bottom line is that I get what I want. The sound is growing on me. Like I said, I LOVE the sound at WOT and the performance is awesome for NA.

I tried to load the dyno (after scanning) but the upload failed. Alan (above) asked me to e-mail it to him, I did so maybe he will post later.

Speaking of money, I agreed on a price for an upgraded long block (that includes head work) TT install, clutch, and guages from SGP. Its a lot, but about 4 K less than what Jotech wants for a similar job.

That is w/ a top quality organic clutch.

Do you think I should go w/ a tripple carbon fiber (ATS) or will that be undesirable as a daily driver?

Old 09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by NoLimit
damn, ... 540$ exxtra!!???
you really need to look elsewhere for future mods......
just my 2¢

that link you posted is towards your email....
can you resize and attach it to the website? thanks!
Just to clarify, Dr. Jitsu didn't spend to 540.00 extra with Fast Intentions that money was spent else where.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Dr - glad everything is performing the way you wanted, expected and intended. That is the ultimate goal when you go about all of this.

I can't get over, personally, the dollars you've spent for engine management though, even though I know it's for a wild build later on. When I originally had similar mods and just my Apexi SAFCII - I got the car to pull almost 280 HP.

I've been doing a lot of soul searching for tuning, on my own now FI'd G, and can't seem to REALLY see the benefit of the extra $1000's of dollars in any way - especially if you staying under 550HP. The real advantage, of course, is the ability to program injector timing - but what I have found is that most all of the 'kits' come with this management as well and really do a fine job on their own.

As always - I'll anxiously await and watch for your HKS results as your build-up goes - and as I research further for myself, may actually pick a unit for testing purposes as well.

Thanks man!!!

Rick

Old 09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Rick,

Do the research....I don't want to reiterate it here...there is a good thread on engine management going at my350z right now: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214533 . Some of the top tuners (I know Shariff hasn't yet participated, but ask him and he will tell you that the V-pro is superior...that is why he is trying to get HKS cert.) in the country are chiming in. Arguing that APEXI will produce the same results undermines your credibility TREMENDOUSLY...I know you are a very smart guy, so you need to eximine this issue some more.

Unless you are going to another standalone like MOTEc or Maretti Marinelli (IE can drop 12-20K) the V-Pro is totally superior . It really is worth it. Ask anyone who has it and has experience w/ the others. Even for my NA car the difference is fantastic.

Even w/ your supercharged set up the diference (from say the UTEC or F-Con IS, my second choices of realistically available management systems) is huge. Of course the only problem is that you muct have an HKS cert. tuner to work on it.

There aren't many becasue HKS demands 100K up front and 200K in sales volume a year (along w/ stringent requirements for becoming a tuner).

You claim that you were running 280, but I guarantee that my 268 will pull, all other thing beeing qqual. Its not so much the whp, but the torque and power at lower RPM's. I am trying to post my dyno, which illustrates. Can I e-mail it to you?

To illustrate further, I ran w/ my buddies 2004 M-3 last night and was pulling on him by 2 car lengths. Now, we were limited by some traffic, and I am sure he could have caught me if we had a totally open road, but the instant response and power at low RPM's were INCREDIBLE. I have never been in a NA six banger w/ this type of low end (remember, I am a life long Mustang guy).
EDIT: I just checked the 350z thread...Shariff did chime in and IS an HKS cert dealer now....see what he has to say about the V-Pro...oh and Kenny Tran at Jotech also touts it.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-02-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Arguing that APEXI will produce the same results undermines your credibility TREMENDOUSLY...
OK - lets be clear here. I never said that the APEXI would outdo or do the same as the HKS in all instances. What I eluded to, was that it doesn't take a $4,000 engine management system to make the NA power your getting. Also, many of the kits come with modifiable and tunable engine management systems already - that so the job very well. They also have the interface and ability for a tuner to modify those settings.

I actually gave kudo's to the HKS's other advanced abilities too - so I 'm not knocking it at all.

It and others have their place and fit. The UTEC is also a great bargain in this respect - but if your kit comes with management already, your not going to get much more from the Utec, unless you can't override those systems in anyway - like getting the SplitSecond software for the Vortech and fine tuning from their.

I don't want to argue about this either - as there really isn't a place for an argument, at all. I think your doing a lot of HUGE things for your car and your prepping perfectly for them.

Rick

Old 09-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Rick,

One other thing: I know of someone who is very talented and wants to start his own shop.

With your bussiness savvy maybe the 2 of you might be intersted in putting your heads together.

And as far as 4 K on engine management...I will have 70K in my car when done...doesn't it make sense to spend a little on what will be the heart of everything? One example in addition to all the extra power/drivabilty etc. issues, good engine management prevents detonation IE an engine blow which will save you big bucks in the long run.

All the guys making big power (500 plus) with experience will state that they will never skimp on engine management again (usually they learned the hard way).

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-02-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here it is as promised

Old 09-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Hotness!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust