Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Jim Wolf TT or APS ST w/ Aps exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roneski
If it can enhance safety by the factor that everyone seems to think then I'm all for it. Question, as a standalone does it replace the factory ECU altogether? If so, how does that affect emissions testing?
It works side by side with the ECU, but by the natire of how it controls timing and fuel, i.e. independent of the stock computer's output, it's a standlone fuel/timing computer.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Is the UTEC out of the picture? It seems like a logical EMS that's in btween the SS box and HKS V-pro. Got great features that the split second box doesn't have and isn't as expensive as the HKS unit.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:46 AM
the UTEC would be one step down the ladder IMO, ... still has more features than the SS, but is still a piggy back, or 'parallel' system as they call it (saying it works 'with' the ECU rather than against it, stock ECU controls things when cruising/not much load, then the UTEC controls things when under heavier load/acceleration, etc). The software interface is really annoying to me, since you are using a hyper terminal interface...
obviously the UTEC has proven to be a viable option for many people who want to tune themselves, or wants an bit more than an entry level EM system. The Unichip-Q looks to be on about the same level as the UTEC.

The F Con V Pro does connect with the PnP harness as easy as a piggy back EM, and it works in conjunction with the factory ECU to simplify running the car, ... but it is a true Stand Alone EM system, and like Gurgen mentioned, controls fuel and timing (amongst it's other features) Independently and completely from the stock ecu.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:24 AM
I realize the UTEC isn't as high profile as the HKS but it has been proven to be a viable options for high horsepower vq's. i understand what you are saying but you can buy 4 UTEC's for the the price of the HKS. but it's your money. HKS is a great unit.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey All,

I just picked up my car from SGP last night. I will post a complete review of my exhaust and V-Pro later this weekend when I have the time. By the way, by the time we fit my exhaust the cost for everything was nearly 5K.

But the V-pro was 4.3 for everything, installed and tuned.

The biggest thing I noticed, and this is illustrated by the dyno, is that I have MUCH, MUCH more power at lower RPMs.

Naturally aspirated, my car pulles like a V8 at as little as 2.5K RPM's now.

The V-pro is AMAZING....to bad that only a handful of people around the country can tune them. I am stuck w/ SGP, unless I want to go w/ JOtech, who charges way more than SGP does. Last night, I basically told Shaun at SGP that his customer service sucks, that he is an A-hole, but that their work/products are the best, and as long as I get a good price I will continue to go to SGP.

In response, Shaun immediately charged me $600 extra on my engine build and TT install job. lol

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-01-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Hey All,

I just picked up my car from SGP last night. I will post a complete review of my exhaust and V-Pro later this weekend when I have the time. By the way, by the time we fit my exhaust the cost for everything was nearly 5K.

But the V-pro was 4.3 for everything, installed and tuned.

The biggest thing I noticed, and this is illustrated by the dyno, is that I have MUCH, MUCH more power at lower RPMs.

Naturally aspirated, my car pulles like a V8 at as little as 2.5K RPM's now.

The V-pro is AMAZING....to bad that only a handful of people around the country can tune them. I am stuck w/ SGP, unless I want to go w/ JOtech, who charges way more than SGP does. Last night, I basically told Shaun at SGP that his customer service sucks, that he is an A-hole, but that their work/products are the best, and as long as I get a good price I will continue to go to SGP.

In response, Shaun immediately charged me $600 extra on my engine build and TT install job. lol
Congrats on the new power! I'd spend whatever it took not to give a company like that my business!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Remember the Soup **** from Seinfeld? Made the best soup in NY, but if you said one wrong thing he would grab your soup and scream "No soup for you!

SGP is the Soup **** of VQ3.5....but they are the best/cheapest engine builders in the country.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:36 AM
nah, they are Not the 'best' or cheapest builders in the country, not by far, ... but they are a good shop for building for sure.
As someone else mentioned, GT Motorsports in 'east LA' would be a place I would consider amongst the 'best' for various reasons. There are hundreds of great shops more than capable of building a great VQ.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:52 PM
No Limt,

I and a friend of mine have goten invoices from Jotech, GT, and Built motors and SGP consistently is cheaper.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:13 AM
cool. i'm curious as to what Kyle quoted you for a build also...
I know that SGP has low prices for everyone down there close to you , and also amongst groups in this community.
once i get my machine work done in sd, i'll post up what it cost.

Last edited by NoLimit; 09-03-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Kyle is about 200 dollars cheaper on every build.

He is not a full service shop, however. He can't pull your engine, install turbos, or tune.

I think that some full service shops farm their engine build work out to him and SGP. That might explain why Jotech's long block build is about 25% more than Kyles or SGP. Oh, and BuiltZ motors are also more expensive I have been told by someone who got an invoice from them

Kyle says his life is much more peaceful and simple now.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, retailers usually mark up 200-300%....I understand the need to make a profit, but I think that 30-40% is enough and that is always what I look for

Old 09-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Well, retailers usually mark up 200-300%....I understand the need to make a profit, but I think that 30-40% is enough and that is always what I look for
Wow,

Wish I could mark things up that high.

Not sure about that Sean?

M