Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
No Limit,

I am still waiting for some more detailed comments on the dyno.
patience! I'm fighting a war over here! LOL

the torque curve looks similar to stock (based on my stock dyno), which shows the ability to get an awesome 'stock-like' tune with the v pro, but of course it is about 25 ft lbs more, and the tq doesn't fall off near redline as much as stock. the power is definitely there! It's tempting for me to install a full exhaust(headers-back), intake, plenum spacer, and get a tune with the v pro to see what I can get. Maybe even throw cams in too.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:16 AM
Smile

Who is going to tune? You have several options in CA.

My mods are listed in my sig.
damn, i never look at people sigs! LOL

a friend in vegas most likely, Mike - Factor X Engineering. He 'mostly' builds turbod NSX's at the moment.
I was thinking of getting a tune from him, and then Sam at GTM, ... just to see how much different two tuners can be with the v pro...

Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, if you can afford to drop 500 (the cheapest V-Pro tune...that is what SGP charges) to 1k (what Shariff, I heard, charges) to see the diff, then I am very interested in the results.

Also, what do you think of Kenny Tran/ He wants 650 (plus 150 in "shop charges") to tune the V-Pro. By the way, Jotech wants about 5 K more for the long block build and TT install than SGP does. My friend got an invoice from Built and they also are more expensive.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:34 AM
wow.

I won't be paying that much for a tune. So I won't mind paying once for someone else's tune just to see the difference, and to save the tune.
Kenny Tran has been around for a while, and has done more than enough work to prove that his shop is a good one. I've never had any personal experience with Jotech, but i'm sure you'd get a good tune from them. I could Never see paying that much more for a build though!! wow.

i didn't think builtmotors was more expensive with all parts being equal, ... are you sure that he/you are taking into account the assembly of the long block? Or was that total cost for them to do All the work (removal, build, re-install, etc)?
In either case, ... you always get what you pay for. SGP builds nissans like crazy, so at least they have more than proven themselves. You might just have your car their for 3 more weeks than planned. lol

Old 09-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fast Intentions is the SHIET and I know for a fact that their exhaust was designed on an '06 rev-up. I think Dr. Jit went to a shady shop...I have heard several bad things about SGP

Old 09-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Sund,

06 rev-up, yes, but not one w/ RAS (read please).

SGP is surly, not shady.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
^^^thanks...I know how to read...hooked on phonics really worked for me...thanks

PS: anyone that charges you $500 should be shot for something like that...actually they were kind of smart. they realized that if someone spends this much money on an engine management unit....why not try and screw him out of more $$$.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:40 PM
hey look, ... it's post ***** sunovab!tch.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 PM
So all the top drift and autocross cars that use the V-Pro are chumps, eh. All the top tuners agree that (unless you are spending 15K on the Marinelli or Motec) that the V-pro is far and away the best. Again, you are under-informed. Go here to get an education on what the top tuners think:http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214533

If you knew anything about FI then you would know that money spent on engine management is money well spent.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright guys - I have to chime in here, can't resist:

As you know, I just went FI on my car. I have also begun a new chapter of experimenting with tuning options as well.

As I have gone with the Vortech - the kit came with the Split Second computer, and is really something that works incredibly well. With the R4 software and a laptop, you can completely tune your car safely for max power without a dyno - though you won't know your HP and TQ readings without one.

I know where Jay is coming from - and I don't necessarily disagree. With lots of engine management possibilities out there, spending that kind of money, you really have to be going ALL OUT to take ANY advantage of it, or your throwing away money. So don't bash on him - he's not far off in his post and is right to make his comments here. I have also heard from others about SGP and their practices - they may be a great shop and they may build some wild stuff - but that doesn't mean they always consult properly either!

Many shops like to only do things THEIR way - whether it's right or not. Many of these shops tend to force people to do things and make it seem like there is no other way. They are not consulting - they are selling what's on their shelf that they have already paid for in stock and need to get rid of - and that's just not objective in my opinion.

Honestly - if the DR was just staying bolt-on NA and went with the HKS, it would be just about the dumbest expenditure he or anyone could make. If any shop would recommend it for that application, they should be reported and put out of business as well...that's just a company looking to loot its customers.

Knowing his car is going for a full TT or SC setup, with a likely pretty full motor build as well, it's not too far a stretch that the HKS is more than appropriate - so the application in this respect is suitable - perhaps it's not very timely as the big power mods are not being put in place yet, but that implementation and timing was not my consultative arrangement.

What's is funny to me however, is posting bolt-on 270HP results do to an HKS, when that is doable from a $300 AF only controller and a dyno with similar bolt ons. I only hope that the DR does go through with the full build-up, or the $4000+ has really just been thrown out the window.

Understand my post here - I'm not bashing anyone or any shop, so I don't expect to be bashed...as in previous posts

Rick

Old 09-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Full build up is already set: price, exact mods and everything.

Time table is about 6 months.

I agree that for NA, V-Pro is overkill. For NA I would have gone UTEC.

Rick: Didn't you build your engine?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-04-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:51 PM
^^^i'm not knocking SGP because they don't know what they are doing....i'm knocking them for their consulting tactic as Rick was suggesting...

the hks is another story...i cannot justify that much $$$ for what the system is capable of

Old 09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Full build up is already set: price, exact mods and everything.

Time table is about 6 months.

I agree that for NA, V-Pro is overkill. For NA I would have gone UTEC.

Rick: Didn't you build your engine?
Yes I did - and it rocks...and the SS box does it all...

Rick

Old 09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
SS box is ok...it is a half step down from the Emanage Ultimate which is a step down from the UTEC which is two steps down from the V-Pro.

Are you saying there is no real difference between the F-Con V-Pro and the split second box???????
If so, that is a silly assumption.

The F Con V Pro is a Full Featured Stand Alone EM system. It has much higher resolution than a "piggy back" computer. Using it along with the HKS Knock Amp sys you can set a target A/F ratio, and the V-Pro will adjust automatically never letting engine run detrimentally lean, it has the capability to read drive-by-wire vehicles, you can replace the MAF sensor, raise the rev limit, fire injectors 3 different ways, data logging, .... the list goes on and on....... it's a Stand Alone Engine Management.
[cut/paste]
- Main Functions include:
- Ability to store 4 different fuel/ignition/boost maps
- Fuelling Mapping
- Ignition Mapping
- Boost Mapping
- Injection Format
- Additional Injector Control
- Nitrous Oxide Injection Control
- Launch Control
- Multiple User Defined Rev Limits
- User defined activation levels via pressure, speed, revs, temperature
- Acceleration Enrichment Correction
- Cranking Fuel Injection Control
- Water temp / fuel injection control
- Anti-Lag Control
- Leading & Trailing Ignition Control
- Water Injection Control
- Boost Ramp Control
- Auto A/F Ratio Adjustment

What exactly did you do to your engine? Rods, Pistons.....did you go for a long block?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-04-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
What exactly did you do to your engine? Rods, Pistons.....did you go for a long block?
Without too many details - lets just say Cosworth, Tomei and a few other choice products in the buildup...I went head to toe

Rick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust