Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Hey is your 5th gear grinding again yet? Must be the vortech's fault...

No....but my wipers are streaking

Old 09-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy killers...its just good healthy debate....no reason to get your panties up in a bunch.

Actually, I think that the SC probably is a good choice for Brando...evn w/ the belt issues... and I do know that Rick is running over 420...I just think he should match his FI system w/ his engine, thats all.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Cool

You leave my panties out of this.......

I tried to match my FI system with the value of the car.

It ain't no F430.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Brando
Bump for TH's question.....

But ISM, I'm afraid that the Dr thumbs his nose at our lowly Vortech SC's.

Cause as he told me in another thread.... "Just ask the top tuners around the country (For. Int., SGP, Jotech, VRT, MRC etc.) None of them like SC."
It's OK...I'll do well over 400HP...and that'll be MY problem....

Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Probably not a bad idea, Brando. Sometimes I think I should have just spent 7or so K on a Vortech w/ install and tune, gone for about 330 to the wheels and called it a day. At 395, your car must be a blast.

Would have been the rational thing to do...but no...I have to be extreme.

I admit, I do have a problem w/ moderation and I have become obssessed w/ building a 500 plus hp car. Must...have...more...power!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Jitsu -
Did your tuner adjust the cam phasing at all? Intake and/or exhaust? Or were your gains strictly from fuel and timing?

Trey...I don't know...I will try and find out. The only discussion of cams we have had is the fact that they are not yet available for the rev-up

Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate the response. I don't know if you're aware, but Cobb has announced that they will be releasing a g/z version of the AccessPORT(flashes the stock ecu through the obd2 port). I don't know if it would suit your needs FI, but I'm intrigued for a number of reasons, chief among them being able to play with cam phasing; to my knowledge something not offered by the utec or EU.

I plan on staying NA, so there's no chance I'm going with the vcon. I would assume that NA, I could see gains that approach or match your own NA gains with the Utec, if your tune was limited to fuel and timing. Hence my original question.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Probably not a bad idea, Brando. Sometimes I think I should have just spent 7or so K on a Vortech w/ install and tune, gone for about 330 to the wheels and called it a day. At 395, your car must be a blast.

Would have been the rational thing to do...but no...I have to be extreme.

I admit, I do have a problem w/ moderation and I have become obssessed w/ building a 500 plus hp car. Must...have...more...power!!!

Hey.....it's all good!

It all just depends on what your goals are. I just wanted to have a little fun, while I waited to see what is comming out and save up for a faster car.

Go build your beast!

Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I agree - it's all good...just be carefull how you 'force' your decisions on other people....

Old 09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Rick,

That assessment of me is absolutley false.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The bottom line is that the FCON is awesome but is NOT necessary to achieve any hp goal. The problem Dr. J is that your posts are so strongly biased towards the FCON that you imply that the same level of performance cannot be achieved with less expensive piggybacks. And *that* is simply not true (though you come across as 100% confident about it).

If you don't believe me, here is a quote from Sharif in regards to the UTEC from the thread you linked to (and NO this is not in reference to NA, it is for FI):

The UTEC, although limited to 10 load columns isnt all that limiting. If you look at a typical WOT pass, you arent utilizing a whole lot of load sites, once peak boost is built. I tuned my engine with the UTEC to 15psi and 600whp, and Todd did the same thing with his. The power curves are perfectly smooth, and the control is outstanding. Engines run like champs. Sure, in a perfect world, I want more load sites, but in practice, it hasnt been a limiting factor at all.
Open your mind doc! There's a whole lot of **** out there to learn about. Makes this fun, eh?

Old 09-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I have said repeatedly that I think the UTEC is a good unit...just not as good

Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by rcdash
Not disagreeing with anything you said (now or before) - except for the part about "missing the point". Each unit has advantages and disadvantages but are all still capable of providing a solid tune - that was *my point* (not that one is better or worse - clearly the Fcon is technically superior).

To put it another way, someone like Sharif could probably get a UTEC to provide a perfect tune at 20+ psi if that's what was called for. Heck VRT provided one heck of a tune with the SS box at 24+ psi on their 760 whp monster, did they not? (don't really remember if they mentioned swapping out the std JWT TT kit SS unit)
I know I quoted you, but I really wasn't directing that towards any one person. For all the lurkers out there that are just now entering the world of modding, etc, etc, ... you've got to make clear statements about all the options out there, or it leads to misinformation (my worst enemy).

I think most here are on the same page now, ... so that is good.
There are Many people tuned to ~20psi with the UTEC on different cars, ... of course that 20psi on different cars with different turbos yields many different HP levels. But as we all know, there comes a point (HP level) that you don't really want to be 'playing' around with piggy backs when you 'could', or 'should' get a full stand alone EM, ... so the question should be, at What level is that necessary? IMO, that level has been proven, to a point, at about the 500-600ish WHP level on most cars, .... can more be acheived with 'less', yes, ... but we all have to make that decision for ourselves (what risks we're willing to take, how far do i want to go, etc).
VRT did not tune any car, ... JWT does their tuning, and they've been tuning nissans for well over a decade. What JWT does with a SS FTC and ECU tweaking is beyond what most could do.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM
bb,

You have pretty much the exact set up I would go w/ (I might substitute the F-Con IS for the UTEC...ok, and I probably wouldn't go w/ the Stillen exhaust) if I were going to stay NA. My car, and I am sure your car is a lot more fun to drive than it was stock.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 09-07-2006 at 12:24 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HKs F-Con V-Pro, Fast Intentions test pipes and dual exhaust