Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Decided on Vortech...few final concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decided on Vortech...few final concerns

Hey everyone, I've read tons of posts on turbos both here and on my350z.com, and I've decided to go with the Vortech s/c.

What I've decided is this:
Vortech s/c
Nismo headers
JWT cams
HKS exhaust
stillen oil cooler
plenum spacer

What i'm curious about is if I've picked the right components, or if I've overlooked something, somewhere. I know that a custom tune would be in order, and I've seen a few people running the SAFC-II. Would the UTEC be better suited for tuning, as I also plan on using a smaller pulley?

thanks again, and sorry for beating a dead horse.

John

Old 03-09-2007, 12:20 AM
you will NOT want to run the SAFCII by itself without something to reduce timing. I'm currently running the SAFCII and it's working ok with MY setup because I'm also running a vortech ECU flash to take care of the timing and also get the A/F in the ballpark of where it should be.

I would get the UTEC or run the regular SS box - which works just fine for the vortech

Old 03-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by sentry65
you will NOT want to run the SAFCII by itself without something to reduce timing. I'm currently running the SAFCII and it's working ok with MY setup because I'm also running a vortech ECU flash to take care of the timing and also get the A/F in the ballpark of where it should be.

I would get the UTEC or run the regular SS box - which works just fine for the vortech
so basically just eliminate the SAFC-II, and add the Vortech ECU reflash. By SS, i'm assuming that stands for the Split Second module?

Also, have you heard of the UpRev tuning program?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:34 AM
you don't need a vortech ECU flash, that's just what I ended up going with because I didn't have a SS box because I bought the tuner kit. Are you buying the vortech tuner or full kit?

The SAFCII can only adjust A/F and that's what I use it for currently while my ECU flash takes care of timing and also gets the A/F closer to where it needs to be and is flashed for my bigger injectors which make the car idle better than any piggyback computer can do scaling them.

yes SS box is short for split second. I've heard of the UpRev flash, but personally I'm waiting for Cobb Tuning's Access Port ECU programmer to come out and then I'll probably run that and ditch the SAFCII.

I'd still recommend to people to use a normal piggyback to tune their vortech with because it's a more common setup with more control. I can't adjust timing right now because I can't control the ECU flash...until the Cobb Tuning Access Port comes out

Old 03-09-2007, 12:54 AM
EDIT: i found the tuner vs. full kit, but what i gathered was that the tuner kit did NOT come w/ the SS box.

whats the difference between the two, parts and performance-wise? My goal is for 370-400rwhp, nothing more, as i don't want to drastically alter daily driving characteristics. I figure that the vortech s/c, JWT cams, headers and exhaust would help me attain this goal; i just want to know whats the best way to tune this setup.

Last edited by usingthejohn; 03-09-2007 at 01:05 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 AM
the full kit doesn't come with a fuel system, SS box, and injectors.

if you get the tuner kit, then you need to get a return fuel system, bigger injectors, and some sort of engine management that allows you to tune timing and fuel

Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
you mean the full kit DOES come with the fuel system and ss box

Old 03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you do decide on the tuner kit, I have a complete kit from my Vortech with the SS box, CD, aux fuel pump and regulator.