Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

STS remote mount turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS remote mount turbo

you guys seen this?
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=sts+mrc

Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about to jump on this kit but I'm still contemplating on the Con's. For me there's only 2 of them.

1. If the Oil Pump goes down (good thing it does have an alarm to let you know) you have no option but to stop driving. I'm a little concern that if this happen that you'll have no option but to tow your car back home or to your tuner.

2. the Piping that goes from the Turbo back to the intercooler is very close to the side railing. This is a concern especially when putting a car on a lift, there is a great chance of damaging the pipe if not careful.

Other than this two things I think the rest is good. Lag hasn't been an issue so far, but base on my search on the web that there is a tad delay on the throttle response. Also Oil Pump is a tad noisy but does go away after 400 miles or so of driving.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Looks like a nice option.

Still not a fan of single turbo kits due to the lag but I would take it over a centrifugal SC.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:25 PM
G35driver Addict
Pro:
1. super easy install.
2. intercooler not completely necessary.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Grocery getter

I can't believe how many FI options there are for the VQ. So cool.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
None of you guys are concern about the Oil Pump going bad? this mean you can't even run the car even without boost. This is probably the only thing that scare me since the pump is just under the car and susceptible to damages. I know Turbo, Fuel Pump, injector, leak ...etc all can go bad but most of them are hidden in Front Mount Turbo. The STS Oil Pump really got me on hold. But for the price and what comes with the kit is a great value.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
two guys garage and horsepower tv both did an install on a c6 corvette. the squire turbos mount in place of the mufflers as a twin turbo into a single large intercooler. i think both those shows are pseudo sales pitches, but the system seemed easy to install and there were substantial gains in hp and tq.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 PM
big gains^^^^

Old 05-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Grocery getter

UMS Tuning here in AZ made a remote mount kit for an Eclipse not too long ago. It gave some nice gains.

Yes I would have concerns about the oil pump but that is why you get a gauge for it. Just one of the risks of going FI.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
UMS Tuning here in AZ made a remote mount kit for an Eclipse not too long ago. It gave some nice gains.

Yes I would have concerns about the oil pump but that is why you get a gauge for it. Just one of the risks of going FI.
having a guage and knowing what happen is one thing but STS states that once the Alarm sound(mean Pump Failed) that you must pull over and shutdown the car. I don't know but this basically don't give you any choice even if you want to drive slow just to squeeze a few miles. Basically if the alarm sound then you only option is to tow your car back home. Anyways it is still a good kit and dealing with this kind of headache is part of going FI

Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
G35driver Addict
why don't other turbo kits have oil pumps? is it because the STS is remote and needs oil lines to run from the sump to the turbo in the rear?

Old 05-11-2007, 05:05 PM
STS needed a Pump since the Turbo is located way back plus the turbo sit so low that gravity can't really push the oil back. Not totally sure on Front Mount Turbo but as far as I know Oil Return line on FMT is just routed back to the oil pan and gravity take its place. Also not sure about the 350Z/G35 Kit but regular STS kit has it's Oil line routed to back to the Oil Cap.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the turbo is supplied pressurized oil from the engine and the pump is to return the oil to the crankcase since its too low for a gravity drain. That being the case if the pump failed oil would leak into the compressor and turbine. Messy and smokey for sure but likey not engine damaging. There are other kits such as the APS that require return pumps.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by GaryEvans
Unless I'm mistaken the turbo is supplied pressurized oil from the engine and the pump is to return the oil to the crankcase since its too low for a gravity drain. That being the case if the pump failed oil would leak into the compressor and turbine. Messy and smokey for sure but likey not engine damaging. There are other kits such as the APS that require return pumps.
You are right, I'm thinking is there a way to clamp the hose that is coming from engine so it will stop the flow of oil to the turbine then try to drive really carefully so that you won't hit boost or at least very minimal boost. Will the turbine still get damage by that? just a hypothetical question from someone who's not really that technical in Turbo setup. If that work then this will save some $$$ for towing.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Grocery getter

Yes and no, because the turbo is low and also because it is so far back. The APS ST kit also has a pump.

The other option is to add a separate oil can with cooler and not use the engine oil. You will still need a pump but at least you can drive (no boost).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: STS remote mount turbo