Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

building your motor.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
building your motor.....

like the topic says i am in the process of building my motor but have some question about it. if anyone know about building motor, what would be my first step on doing so? i thought about buying a built motor but the engine in my car has about 8k miles on it so i thought i would just buy the parts ansd build it instead of buying abuilt motor what do u think i should do.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depends on you, from what i understand. If you can stand to be without your G for a few weeks for the build, then go ahead and build your own engine. But if you need the G for daily transport, get a second short block, and build that one.

Plus, it's always nice to have an extra block sitting around in case things go south.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st step, you'll need go to my350z.com go to the FI section and read how to do twins right the first time sticky.... helps to get a service manual too...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by usingthejohn
depends on you, from what i understand. If you can stand to be without your G for a few weeks for the build, then go ahead and build your own engine. But if you need the G for daily transport, get a second short block, and build that one.

Plus, it's always nice to have an extra block sitting around in case things go south.

+1 if you can deal with the downtime just build yours. If not get one.

Are there any good builders near you who know the VQ? If not you might want to look into getting a built motor from a good shop like Forged Performance and use yours for a core.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 AM
where i live i dont really trust anyone so i might end up buying one from sgp

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
where do you live?? if you are close to the southeast side of the US, give us a call. we can handle anything you need for your build...

thanks!!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM7672
like the topic says i am in the process of building my motor but have some question about it. if anyone know about building motor, what would be my first step on doing so? i thought about buying a built motor but the engine in my car has about 8k miles on it so i thought i would just buy the parts ansd build it instead of buying abuilt motor what do u think i should do.
Building an engine is a very complex and intricate process. Lately, there have been some very high profile built engine blow-ups, that left a lot of different people, pointing fingers at each other.

My best suggestion, is to find one reputable shop, and have them do the whole project start to finish. Best of luck.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
First off is why are you building and for what,low boost or high boost.........we need more info about what you are gonna do.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 AM
just want the kit on and run it safely without blowing the motor

Old 09-03-2007, 01:21 AM
well, as someone said (2lo2bfurious), the FI section on my350z.com has vast amounts of information; just be ready to don a flame suit, as some topics have been beaten to death, revived, and then re-beaten.

but for safe boost, 400rwhp is the general consensus on the boards. Some have run close to 450-470rwhp, but you have a very small safety margin. If you're hapy with 400rwhp, then you'll be fine on a stock block. However, keep in mind that it's not the rwhp that blows your motor; rather, it's the wheel torque that can bend rods and what not (new information i gathered on the boards)

Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by usingthejohn
However, keep in mind that it's not the rwhp that blows your motor; rather, it's the wheel torque that can bend rods and what not (new information i gathered on the boards)
then i should replace the rods and the piston while i am getting the turbo kit installed, huh????

Old 09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
question is how much do you want to spend. you CAN get all forged internals made for either high comp (n/a) or low comp (boost) and at 400whp ur engine will 99% not blow. its like overkill but a nice, VERY expensive security measure.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by JDM7672
then i should replace the rods and the piston while i am getting the turbo kit installed, huh????
as stated above me, 99% 400rwhp won't blow the motor (sorry, i don't know what torque would be at 400rwhp)...it is a nice security measure, however.

but if building the bottom end would be stretching your wallet at this time, then you don't necessarily need rods at that power level. But when (not IF...once you get boosted, nothing is ever enough, lol) you decide to up the power, then rods/pistons/better ECU/cooling/fuel system will be necessary to keep your engine intact and to monitor how your engine is behaving.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
here it is the list of the things that I have that is going in the car
-greddy tt kit
-utec w/ 4map sensor
-hks exhaust
-AAM fuel system
-hks BOV (2)
-defi gauges (boost,oil,egt)
-walbro fuel

Old 09-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The way I see it is, going from a stock block with a TT kit, to a built block is a big leap if you are paying for the labor.

If you are doing it yourself, its not a very big leap at all, in relative terms of course ... good rods and low comp pistons can be had for maybe 1100 bucks, and then you'll need a gasket set + other little bits + machine work that will be maybe another 1000 all dependent on where you go. So if you doing it yourself, about what it will cost you to install the TT kit on a stock block will get you the built block. Only catch is you have to put everything together yourself

It all becomes a big leap when you add labor of installation into the mix, its like 2k for a TT kit + 1k to pull the motor + who knows for assembly of the new block, and estimates are probably on the low side I think.

And btw, dump the AAM system for a CJM if you are going to get one...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: building your motor.....