Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Spark Plug Gap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 sunroof leather heated seats
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by cleric670
Definitely not making the right decision. There is no code that says "improper plugs", if you have code P0300 which is the multiple misfire then you should start by removing and inspecting all the plugs and coil packs. You might just have one not torqued down properly or you might find damage on the coil pack like a melted boot or something.

If the plugs look worn then replace them with stock NGK plugs, I strongly recommend the stock NGK PLFR5A-11

If you have any other spark code like P0301, 0302, 0303, 0304, 0305, or 0306 then that's for a specific cylinder that's misfiring.

Buying all new coil packs is a waste of money, you might have one or two damaged coils but they typically last a VERY long time and aren't exactly a wearable item.

If you have oil saturation in the spark plug well that's probably why it's misfiring, the spark plug well tube seals are a common failure point and when it fills up about 1" with oil it starts to misfire. Replacing the valve covers if that's the problem.

Troubleshoot! Don't just throw parts at a car hoping something fixes the issue, it's expensive and time consuming.

Here is a link to the factory service manual, spark plugs are in MA - Maintenance, if the well tubes are leaking oil the valve cover replacement is covered in section EM - Engine Mechanical under "rocker cover".

https://www.nicoclub.com/infiniti-service-manuals
I have to say "thank you for the information." I have built Hondas in the past but the G35 is a new world to me. Its nothing like Honda's B16B Civic Type R motor so I don't know much about it. I am hoping this dont turn into a big problem. But it is throwing the P 0300. The car starts on the first try but runs rough but you can smell the extra gas. Its like its running real reach. It is also throwing a cold for a mass air flow sincer but when I unplug it from the intake it dies. And when I plug it back up it cranks right up. So I dont think the mass air flow sincer is bad. I need any and all info I can get on this car

Old 05-11-2020, 09:13 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Knowing the EXACT codes you're getting would help too.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:17 AM
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
I run stock .44 gap on the NA cars. I use the cheap copper NGK-R gapped at .35 up to 12psi on the turbo G35. I've used the same type of cheap plugs on our SR20 builds all the way to 26psi. I do change them out every season (10k - 15k miles). When tuning a new build I usually start at a .35 gap and if I get any spark blowout on the street or dyno (usually happens on the dyno first) I tighten the gap or up the voltage to the coils. I run 17 volts to the coils on my SR so I can have a wider gap.