Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

How to not grenade my tranny when going FI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
If you read the original post you would know he has a supercharger.

Wear & Tear is greater on the tranny with any sort of FI, so it will definately take more of a beating than an NA VQ.

Show me how many supercharged VQ's have blown their tranny (without being driver error or from years of W&T/abuse). Not many

PS. If I had an auto tranny, whether its turbo or sc, I would still do some necessary upgrades for peace of mind.
My posts was to YOU, not the OP. My post above that one was to the OP. The reason I posted that is because your post is baseless and your "400whp mark" is irrelevent and pointless. WHP has NOTHING to do with the tranny, TQ does, so 400whp doesn't mean anything

I blew mine in 6 months I know several on my350z that have as well. Also, speaking to SGP, they have rebuilt dozens of trannys, with a good percentage of SC's so just because YOU haven't heard of them, doesn't mean they don't exist

And yes, you are correct, peace of mind >>>>>> 1.5k

Old 01-08-2008, 06:46 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Do not waist your money on the stillen vb as it is just barely better then stock.Go with either the gtm or sgp vb and a nice trans cooler and you should be fine with the s/c.
+1 SGP valve body and tranny cooler is the way to go

Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
yeah i talked to my shop, my car will be out of commission for 1-1/2 weeks and SGP says its 5-10 days for them to actually go from start-finish on the vb. That means i will go car less for even more longer You think I would be ok with stillen? I know with stillen you dont really feel a difference over stock, but I'm not looking to even care to feel anything, i just want that safe state of mind, you think its worth it to put out more time to send it out, or just have stillen take care of it? Also saving money on neither is not an issue, i also can careless about the tires chirping or super fast shift, i just dont want my rev meter to bounce off the rev limiter and to have a peaceful state of mind that its better than stock.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I drove a AT vortech 350z and the tranny is slipping like hell. The kid also runs the car farely hard, but it has too much power for the tranny. Upgrade the torque converter and the valve body and keep your cooler and you will be "ok" you will never be fine though.

-Sean

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I drove a AT vortech 350z and the tranny is slipping like hell. The kid also runs the car farely hard, but it has too much power for the tranny. Upgrade the torque converter and the valve body and keep your cooler and you will be "ok" you will never be fine though.

-Sean
What do you mean by tranny is slipping? But i get the point, what did i get my self into

Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 617G
My posts was to YOU, not the OP. My post above that one was to the OP. The reason I posted that is because your post is baseless and your "400whp mark" is irrelevent and pointless. WHP has NOTHING to do with the tranny, TQ does, so 400whp doesn't mean anything
That's because I was assuming we were all on the same page speaking about superchargers and not turbos. 400 WHP as a reference for a supercharger should mean that the tq is below 350 tq (in most circumstances). That's the only reason I used the "400 WHP" mark & "Stock block" references on an SC VQ35.

But like I said before, for a 5AT, I would definately so some upgrades for peace of mind. Atleast we can agree on that

Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
What do you mean by tranny is slipping? But i get the point, what did i get my self into
welcome to the '03 5AT vortech club. Hey, you should pm GurgenPB on here and ask him his experiences with the valve bodies he's had. Oh, and I won't get anything but one from SGP. Well, maybe one from GTM, since they've since started offering VBs.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Honestly, if I were you, I'd just wait and see how the car responds to your initial set up. If you drive it under light throttle 90% of the time and give it a little go juice the other 10%, you'll probably be fine. But if you're doing 1-2 shifts in tiptronic at 6400 RPM day in and day out, that sucker may blow.

Hell, I have a defective VB and it's holding up! Every else is falling apart, but that's a different story, hahaha. All I have is a B&M cooler ($80).

Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
So best suggestion is VB Upgrade + Tranny Cooler and i should be ok? I was thinking of getting a VB Upgrade from Stillen, because they're in SoCal and 15-20 minutes away from me, what you guys think? I heard GTM and SGP would do better but they are a little further especially sgp.
Go the extra distance! I have the Stillen VB and the 2-3 shift is quite a bit slower than stock. My tranny will be toast in less than a year and I just had it rebuilt (don't ask me why).

Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
I will have to do some upgrading to my tranny also. I think I will just do the VB and cooler and see how it holds up.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM
well hey out of curiosity what are some specific reasons of why i shouldn't go with the Stillen VB Upgrade? They're only 15-20 minutes from me, but if its that bad i won't go there.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
well hey out of curiosity what are some specific reasons of why i shouldn't go with the Stillen VB Upgrade? They're only 15-20 minutes from me, but if its that bad i won't go there.
Search and you will get your answer, they are not any better than the stock setup.

I think Gurgen did the tranny swap from the AT to the MT awhile back....need to search and find that thread.

GTM and SGP are the way to go, I have the Edge racing TC upgrade and GTM's VB and built tranny internals and I am pushing 500ft trq as of last saturday

Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys, there is a lot of misinformation on this thread. we have a bunch of automatic Z/Gs with over 400 whp with no issues. we have one auto, Worlds fastest 5AT VQ reported in the 1/4 mile btw, with over 470 to the wheels with 11 psi and a 35 shot. he has an edge racing torque convertor and i think a transco valve body. this car is strong and rips every gear in full throttle on his shifts.

it runs 11.2 at 121 on a 35 shot and we are going back this weekend on a 75 shot!! we keep pushing the limits of this tranny for sure.

basically, it really depends on the tranny, we have seen one go bad with 370 whp and we have 100 plus more whp and its holding up fine. take the right steps, get a valve body and torque convertor and the tranny will hold up just fine for you. all the issues we have seen have had only stock components in them...

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
hey guys, there is a lot of misinformation on this thread. we have a bunch of automatic Z/Gs with over 400 whp with no issues. we have one auto, Worlds fastest 5AT VQ reported in the 1/4 mile btw, with over 470 to the wheels with 11 psi and a 35 shot. he has an edge racing torque convertor and i think a transco valve body. this car is strong and rips every gear in full throttle on his shifts.

it runs 11.2 at 121 on a 35 shot and we are going back this weekend on a 75 shot!! we keep pushing the limits of this tranny for sure.

basically, it really depends on the tranny, we have seen one go bad with 370 whp and we have 100 plus more whp and its holding up fine. take the right steps, get a valve body and torque convertor and the tranny will hold up just fine for you. all the issues we have seen have had only stock components in them...
another shameless plug

what you just posted has been repeated several times in the thread already

Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 617G
Try going WOT in a turbo car in a stock 5AT tranny and I guarantee you will blow it within 6 months
ahhhh damn that scares me lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to not grenade my tranny when going FI?