Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

How to not grenade my tranny when going FI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face How to not grenade my tranny when going FI?

Putting on a supercharger, and one of the mechanics was warning me about he doesnt know if my transmission can stand it, i did buy a tranny cooler but i dont know if it helps much, is there anything else that i can do? Or am i being over paranoid and ill be fine, let me know your opinion and advice guys. Thanks!!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will be good as long as you get it tuned right. Try not to go over 400HP or anything crazy. I would recommend a tranny temp gauge. You can get a VB(valve body?) upgrade but that is made so it withstands alot more.
-AGThing1227

Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my tranny is good! with no tranny cooler

Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
You should be fine, I was pushing over 400 with the Vortech and my tranny held up fine but long term the best thing to do is get a VB and TC upgrade along with the oil cooler and tranny cooler.

That is if you decide to go higher than 400rwhp.

EDIT: Def. get the L-spec flash to raise the rev. limiter to 7100 or your going to keep hitting the limiter, the stock shifts are way to slow once the Vortech kicks in.

Last edited by urban; 01-07-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by AGThing1227
You will be good as long as you get it tuned right. Try not to go over 400HP or anything crazy. I would recommend a tranny temp gauge. You can get a VB(valve body?) upgrade but that is made so it withstands alot more.
-AGThing1227
As long as the car is tuned to have conservative numbers (sub-400's as a reference), its not really going to affect the tranny on a 5AT. 6MT in the other hand, can handle more power.

If you're staying with a stock engine block, then I would say its the engine being the bottle neck, not the tranny. There's a bigger chance that your engine says bye than your tranny.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you, especially with an SC.

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 01-08-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Tune is not going to affect the tranny. (It affects whether or not your engine does wave bye are you though )

If you're staying with a stock engine block, then I would say its the engine being the bottle neck, not the tranny. There's a bigger chance that your engine says bye than your tranny.

Actually the engine if tuned correctly will easily handle what the Vortech can produce, I was pushing 440rwhp with my Vortech and then engine was fine for 41,000 miles, it's the tranny that started slipping.

George at GTM drove his G35 with 550hp on the stock block before it blew with abuse at the track, our engines are pretty good. The 5AT tranny will not handle anywhere that much.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250645

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tune is not going to affect the tranny. (It affects whether or not your engine does wave bye are you though )

haha, what does the block being stock have to do with anything. As soon as you add power you are affecting transmission. A tune will affect at what levels boost peaks, which could be detrimental to your transmission but because the OP is using a sc, this shouldn't be an issue either.

Also a VB upgrade to my knowledge does not strengthen the transmission, it just gives you faster, crisper shifts. I would however recommend a tranny cooler. There are also 2 companies that I am aware of that do 5AT rebuilds good for 600 hp, but you shouldn't need that with a simple procharger kit.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Nobody with a SC should need a full tranny build unless their names are booger or sentry...lol

Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 AM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
haha, what does the block being stock have to do with anything. As soon as you add power you are affecting transmission. A tune will affect at what levels boost peaks, which could be detrimental to your transmission but because the OP is using a sc, this shouldn't be an issue either.
What I was saying is, assuming most people going FI on the stock block will be keeping it at a safe level, they will probably not have any issues with the tranny.

urban, you're right about the 5AT not handling big numbers. I would definately do upgrades to the tranny if going over 400WHP (just as a reference number). On the 6MT in the other hand, I don't plan on doing any significant tranny upgrades while pushing over 400 whp.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
low 400s 60k on car 50k on blower (vortech) stock tranny.

good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
wow, so much missinformation in this thread.

1. The stock tranny is only meant to handle ~330 tq. WHP is only a measure of tq and has nothing to do with the tranny. The tq the Procharger puts out will put you at the limit of the stock tranny
2. You will notice your shifts get notchy and bumpy and this is a result of the VB sliding across the gears, thus creating more heat and wear and tear on the tranny
3. The tq converter can also only handle so much and will also begin to wear
4. Althought you will "probably" be okay, an upgraded VB will prevent the sliding across the gears, and the tranny cooler you already have will help dissipate the extra heat from the upgraded VB

peace of mind > $1,500

FWIW, I just about blew my tranny with the Vortech and it was on it's last leg. When I put the twins in, it was all over. It also has a lot to do with the way you drive. If you beat the **** out of it, which most new FI owners do the first few months, your tranny will suffer. Don't make the same mistake as myself and othe members have already made.

Last edited by 617G; 01-08-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:50 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
What I was saying is, assuming most people going FI on the stock block will be keeping it at a safe level, they will probably not have any issues with the tranny.

urban, you're right about the 5AT not handling big numbers. I would definately do upgrades to the tranny if going over 400WHP (just as a reference number). On the 6MT in the other hand, I don't plan on doing any significant tranny upgrades while pushing over 400 whp.

Plenty of people have blown their trannys on "stock block"

400whp on a turbo car and 400whp on a CSC car are two different things. The turbo car will put out ~400tq at a low rpm, while the CSC car will put out ~330tq. Try going WOT in a turbo car in a stock 5AT tranny and I guarantee you will blow it within 6 months

Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
So best suggestion is VB Upgrade + Tranny Cooler and i should be ok? I was thinking of getting a VB Upgrade from Stillen, because they're in SoCal and 15-20 minutes away from me, what you guys think? I heard GTM and SGP would do better but they are a little further especially sgp.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by 617G
Plenty of people have blown their trannys on "stock block"

400whp on a turbo car and 400whp on a CSC car are two different things. The turbo car will put out ~400tq at a low rpm, while the CSC car will put out ~330tq. Try going WOT in a turbo car in a stock 5AT tranny and I guarantee you will blow it within 6 months
If you read the original post you would know he has a supercharger.

Wear & Tear is greater on the tranny with any sort of FI, so it will definately take more of a beating than an NA VQ.

Show me how many supercharged VQ's have blown their tranny (without being driver error or from years of W&T/abuse). Not many

PS. If I had an auto tranny, whether its turbo or sc, I would still do some necessary upgrades for peace of mind.

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 01-08-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
So best suggestion is VB Upgrade + Tranny Cooler and i should be ok? I was thinking of getting a VB Upgrade from Stillen, because they're in SoCal and 15-20 minutes away from me, what you guys think? I heard GTM and SGP would do better but they are a little further especially sgp.
Do not waist your money on the stillen vb as it is just barely better then stock.Go with either the gtm or sgp vb and a nice trans cooler and you should be fine with the s/c.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to not grenade my tranny when going FI?