Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

How to not grenade my tranny when going FI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by urban
I think Gurgen did the tranny swap from the AT to the MT awhile back....need to search and find that thread.
http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278653
http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278649

Old 01-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone pretty much answered your question. Best to be safe than sorry. Although, I dont think I heard anyone yet to damage their 5at tranny on a SC kit, its the torque power that does all the damage. Get a VB done regardless if done with Stillen, SGP, or GTM. I think stillen is the only one that does it inhouse. SGP sends their VB work done in So.Cal somewhere. From what I read, few guys have switched from Stillen VB to SGP and had better results. Get more info at my350forum. Gurgen will tell you flat out to go with SGP VB, and not to waist your money on stillen. TC is a good mod for improving your launch time in a 5AT.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much of a beating will the 5AT take? Specifically on road courses?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah I only wanted to go stillen because it was down the street and inhouse, and after learning more from this thread, i guess no stillen for me. SGP is too long and too far for of a wait for me. How about GTM's VB and TQ Upgrade?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
Yeah I only wanted to go stillen because it was down the street and inhouse, and after learning more from this thread, i guess no stillen for me. SGP is too long and too far for of a wait for me. How about GTM's VB and TQ Upgrade?
Not to shamelessly plug GTM since it's all "hear-say" for me, but I don't think you can go wrong with them. I'm sure many will agree.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by 617G
Plenty of people have blown their trannys on "stock block"

400whp on a turbo car and 400whp on a CSC car are two different things. The turbo car will put out ~400tq at a low rpm, while the CSC car will put out ~330tq. Try going WOT in a turbo car in a stock 5AT tranny and I guarantee you will blow it within 6 months
I have nothing but a TC which i recently put in with a good tune from GTM. No problems with tranny at all at 10K.

didnt know a VB upgrade will help to prolong AT? Thought it was just for faster shifting but i could be wrong.

IMO if you're looking to prolong your AT then only TC makes since. IF its going to blow it will, dont think doing trq converter and VB upgrade will help. Save your money for when it blows and do complete overhaul. seems from other people's experience each tranny's different.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by G-Mony
I have nothing but a TC which i recently put in with a good tune from GTM. No problems with tranny at all at 10K.

didnt know a VB upgrade will help to prolong AT? Thought it was just for faster shifting but i could be wrong.

IMO if you're looking to prolong your AT then only TC makes since. IF its going to blow it will, dont think doing trq converter and VB upgrade will help. Save your money for when it blows and do complete overhaul. seems from other people's experience each tranny's different.
Wrong. As I stated earlier in the thread, an upgraded VB will prevent sliding across the gears. An upgraded TC helps the TC hold the power. When trannys "blow," one of two things usually happen:
1. the tranny refuses to shift
2. the tranny keeps stuttering like you're bouncing off the rev limiter because the TC can't lock

Upgrading both of these WILL prolong the life of the transmission, but the clutch packs will still get worn and eventually fail over time.

If you've ever driven an FI car with a stock 5AT tranny, you can feel the sliding across the gears and hear it during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Most problems arise with either the 2nd or 3rd gear since those are ones taking most of the abuse when going WOT so you need a TC and VB to handle the power.

You will also need a cooler to help dissipate the heat the new VB will produce.

Last edited by 617G; 01-09-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:38 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
I might be wrong, but a TC, VB, and Trq. converter would be like 1,500$. You can get a built tranny for like 3k? Why not just let the stock tranny blow, then get a built one, and not have to worry.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by Drewer
Not to shamelessly plug GTM since it's all "hear-say" for me, but I don't think you can go wrong with them. I'm sure many will agree.
Although I don't have any personal experience with GTM, I have yet to see their product go through lengthy testing. Yes, there are a handful of people that have their 5AT products, but they have not proven themselves yet. SGP, on the other hand, has been doing transmission builds for years, starting with the 300ZX. Their VQ tranny has been out for a year now as well and there has been a lot of positive feedback. If you want something that's been proven time and time again, go with SGP.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by kleicoupe
I might be wrong, but a TC, VB, and Trq. converter would be like 1,500$. You can get a built tranny for like 3k? Why not just let the stock tranny blow, then get a built one, and not have to worry.
Built tranny is around $4k and is overkill for the majority of people. Spend the 1,500 and you will be fine with what the stock block can put out, be it turbo or s/c. SGP has a 550whp turbo car with only a VB and TC and cooler and it's held up for over a year.

Plus, you can to the VB and TC now, and if you choose to do so, you can upgrade the clutchpacks at a later time for a fraction of the complete tranny build

Last edited by 617G; 01-09-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Built tranny is around $4k
But a built tranny has everything you need, and its rated to what, like 600hp, but they dont list trq. How much do you think it would cost for a built tranny that can handle like 400hp, and like 400-430tq??? 617 I know you have researched all of this, so I'm hoping you can answer this

Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
If you've ever driven an FI car with a stock 5AT tranny, you can feel the sliding across the gears and hear it during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Most problems arise with either the 2nd or 3rd gear since those are ones taking most of the abuse when going WOT so you need a TC and VB to handle the power.
So we get it...but like Audible Mayhem mentioned ever tranny is different. Don't to need to scare everyone into thinking it'll blow at any moment. Others have mentioned their ATs that hold up fine. If your doing over high 400s in trq i'd some tranny upgrades but drive it first to see how it feels. Mine is a daily driver and it drives fine and shifts good 2-3gear even when not in manumatic.

btw, thought SGP was on the 'outs' over in 350z...some bad experiences.

Last edited by G-Mony; 01-09-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by kleicoupe
+1

I hoping mine will blow soon cos i'll have an excuse to wife....

Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
+1

I hoping mine will blow soon cos i'll have an excuse to wife....
AHah nice

Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
So we get it...but like Audible Mayhem mentioned ever tranny is different. Don't to need to scare everyone into thinking it'll blow at any moment. Others have mentioned their ATs that hold up fine. If your doing over high 400s in trq i'd some tranny upgrades but drive it first to see how it feels. Mine is a daily driver and it drives fine and shifts good 2-3gear even when not in manumatic.

btw, thought SGP was on the 'outs' over in 350z...some bad experiences.
You're right, some trannys do hold up a little better. The early 03's are the weakest of them all. The question is, do you take a $4,000 gamble? The problem with "driving it first" is that during that period you will be hurting the transmission and if you wait too long it'll be too late.

This is coming from someone with experience in the matter. I am on my second transmission with the blown one being rebuilt. I am only voicing my opinion on the matter and clearing up some false info

I'm not telling you to BUILD your transmission. What I'm saying is to upgrade the VB, TC, and add a cooler. Built trannys should be reserved for those with built motors and high powered turbo applications.

Edit: You also have an X, which from my research and understanding is a bit beefier than the regular auto trans.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to not grenade my tranny when going FI?