Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

stillen or vortech- still have ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stillen or vortech- still have ?

As a new poster to this thread I hope to have appeased those of you who say do a search with reading lots of posts and searching, yet I myself have some questions about stillen vs. vortech.

I've read that the stillen has more hp/tq low end, but has very limited mods that it likes as well as is limited within itself. I also have seen several threads where the customer service has been less than par, and lastly that getting warranty work honored has been an issue. Lots of red flags.

I haven't seen the posts on poor vortech service or hard to deal with warranty issues (but I may have not searched deep enough either) I have also noticed that most say the out of the box vortech doesn't have the strong response low end as the stillen does, but that this can be adjusted with mods...one question is how much money to get that response?

As for kits- do both come with full install kits - (everything needed) and detailed install instructions for a DIY install?

My wants are...I want to stay on the stock block and be within safe tolerances as this would be a daily driver. Commuting to work-mainly interstate and then some spirited drives on the weekend (not track or drag)
I like the low-end hp/tq that the stillen provides but those red flags sort of sway me, then again if it is an extra 5K for that low end on a vortech I might just be willing to roll the dice.

Is it recommended with a stillen Stage 2 or a vortech with the base pulley (can;t remember number) to have some sort of management system, or is the system that ships with them suitable?

All input is welcome- I have not decided either way.

Last edited by vintage_car; 03-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you considered a Turbonetics single turbo kit? They arent that expensive compared to the twin turbo kits on the market. They seem to put down a good amount of hp/tq on a good conservative tune. They come with everything you need and I bet its a breeze for a DIY. Just tossing that out there.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:04 AM
teamsolo.net im-integline
do a turbo

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I have not reasearched the turbo market that much. I've heard about the lag that they have. I do like that there are no belts to potentally break- which is I guess another question, how have the belts stood up to the tests of time? I will do research without asking noob turbo questions. But I would still like comments on the superchargers. Does anyone in the TN area have a single turbo, stillen stage 2, or basic vortech?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
83K miles on my car, 40K miles on my Vortech w/ 3.12 pulley. I have never broken or snapped a belt. I went w/ vortech over turbo because I wanted reliability (I live in the desert and turbo's got to hot out here)... I wanted a more linier pull to help the tranny last longer. I did not want to build my block and wanted a safe FI. If you dont mind 400 - 450 whp and hitting boost at 3000 - 3500 rpms and want a safe and reliable FI.... I like the Vortech

Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Triji
83K miles on my car, 40K miles on my Vortech w/ 3.12 pulley. I have never broken or snapped a belt. I went w/ vortech over turbo because I wanted reliability (I live in the desert and turbo's got to hot out here)... I wanted a more linier pull to help the tranny last longer. I did not want to build my block and wanted a safe FI. If you dont mind 400 - 450 whp and hitting boost at 3000 - 3500 rpms and want a safe and reliable FI.... I like the Vortech
I'm in South Texas near the Coast. It' gets hot here too. How much power do you think you lose when the temp gets to 100 deg F?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
As I understood it, turbos get alot hotter than the Cent SC's and alot more can go wrong / it is harder to find issues as well.

I pull 9.5 - 10.1 psi in the cooler months here with the 3.12 pulley. In the warmer summer months I hit 8.8 to 9.5 psi normaly. What that equates to in horsepower loss however, I do not know.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by vintage_car
I have also noticed that most say the out of the box vortech doesn't have the strong response low end as the stillen does, but that this can be adjusted with mods...one question is how much money to get that response?
an $80 pulley and a tune

As for kits- do both come with full install kits - (everything needed) and detailed install instructions for a DIY install?
yes

Is it recommended with a stillen Stage 2 or a vortech with the base pulley (can;t remember number) to have some sort of management system, or is the system that ships with them suitable?
the stock system they both come with is fine

Old 03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
sc vs turbo

Originally Posted by Triji
Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. I do want safe, and after some of the turbo posts I;ve read, I think that SC is the way to go for my liking. Is it a set it and forget it solution after the install and tune (pardon the ronco rotisserie phrase)- or does it require continued maintenance-assuming engine mods stop after the install (I know, I know...)? Belt tightening would be one, but other maintenance issues that I may not have read. Vortech is a self oiling system correct?

Last edited by vintage_car; 03-03-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM
perfect!

Originally Posted by sentry65
an $80 pulley and a tune

yes

the stock system they both come with is fine
Thanks for the breakout in answers. I've seen numerous posts where your sig has been mentioned for input- so I do appreciate you chiming in on my thread. Any other advice?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
this thread has lots of vortech info
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270770

Old 03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
wow

Originally Posted by sentry65
this thread has lots of vortech info
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270770
WOW! I haven't been on the 350Z thread in about 3 years- thanks for the link to all the info about the vortech- a great right up! It should be a sticky on this forum as well. I think this has made up my mind on what to do. Now to get a final price.

Have you heard of boost leaks with the MD 5/16 spacer kit? Is it accepatable to run a spacer, or should a modded plenum like crawfords be used instead of the spacer?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
thanks

spacers are fine, but there is obviously more possibility for leaks

Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
not to switch gears but

so to ensure to not have leaks just keep the stock plenum, or can the modified plenums still be used with the vortech and not be prone to the leaks a spacer may have?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I really don't think you'll have leaks with a spacer anymore than you normally would. It's just a little more likely wince there's two gaskets

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stillen or vortech- still have ?