Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Well My FI Days Have Come To An End.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'm not familar with the spacer. Does it also come with a spacer to move the oil pickup down also?

Originally Posted by superchargedg
It would not matter if the dealer put in just 5 qts as that is what the engine takes.He has a spacer which gives the added protection of 1 more qt.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utec always have problem with Hot start with bigger injector. I had to pump my gas when the car is already warmed up but only 20% of the time, most of the time it start ok but I only have a 440cc inj.

Since the tune is questionable above 5300rpm, I'm wondering if the dealer did some joy ride and rev it all the way to redline. I know most of my buddies does this when they see boosted car go to the Nissan Dealership.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'm not familar with the spacer. Does it also come with a spacer to move the oil pickup down also?
Yes at least my aam spacer does and from pics ive seen so does the jwt.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:47 PM
...we dont need roads...

Originally Posted by FI'ed G
Utec always have problem with Hot start with bigger injector. I had to pump my gas when the car is already warmed up but only 20% of the time, most of the time it start ok but I only have a 440cc inj.

Since the tune is questionable above 5300rpm, I'm wondering if the dealer did some joy ride and rev it all the way to redline. I know most of my buddies does this when they see boosted car go to the Nissan Dealership.
Thats what I meant as far as what the dealership may have done. I just warned my friend today with a turbo Z to put it in Valet mode before he gives it to them to have his windsheild replaced. Might make up some BS and say they had to test drive it...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
Yes at least my aam spacer does and from pics ive seen so does the jwt.
wait, why does he need an oil pan spacer with the procharger? it's a self-contained unit...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rockd
wait, why does he need an oil pan spacer with the procharger? it's a self-contained unit...
He said he had a pan spacer not me.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog

I have delt with the Kyle at Import Parts Pro. Bought several goodies for my G. He will go out of his way to help you out and will haggle.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdjafari
alot of motors have blown running the ATI, do a search on my350z. I think Greddy TT and ATI may be top contenders...
This was proven false on My350. There was a huge shaddy deal that the Vortech guys were trying to do. Besides the OP there have been only 2 procharged Z's that blew. There have been more with vortechs.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by rockd
i did it just for safety...more oil is always better IMO.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
so if you have a UTEC, post up your timing and fuel maps. we could tell you right away if something was off there. but if you were cruising and not on boost, it was from previous damage and it was just time to let go.

without knowing your IDC % or seeing your maps/param files, and even then, its all guesses.

You can get a used block for under 500$ on ebay.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
To everybody, agreeing with others, the starting problem is very typical for FI on our cars, and especially Procharger possibly? I have the same problem too, when it's warm I got to give it a little gas, I have 550cc injectors with the Utec, by now I figured its normal...I think even though it may or may not be the Procharger, IMO it's the tuning, cause if the procharger is tuned correctly, there shouldn't be any problems, mine is running great!!! Then again, i only got less then 600 miles on mine, not even to 1k yet lol but I'm loving it.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First, sorry about your ride. It was (and still is) one of the nicer ones around DFW.

Secondly, I would like to point out that rarely will a reputable kit blow and engine on its own. All forced induction kits do the same thing to some degree; force more air in the engine.

99% of the time the tuning and supporting mods are the cause of major engine failures (along with the fact we have a car that is not designed for FI). I don't know of any kit on the market that is more prone to blow engines in "tuner" form (no EMS, fuel parts, etc.). I say "tuner" form because obviously the out-of-box Procharger is more prone to blow an engine (no timing control with the out-of-box kit). Every kit should have a fuel pump, injectors, and an EMS that controls fuel and timing. If your kit has this (and the OP's kit did), it is all in the tune and amount of power you are putting down.

With that said, something was not right (the power level was not that high). That engine had a major failure, and I would be shocked if it was not related to the tune (I also think you had your car tuned recently? Correct). I also thought someone had said in the DFW forum that Matchless had closed down. Was that not correct?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jran76
First, sorry about your ride. It was (and still is) one of the nicer ones around DFW.

Secondly, I would like to point out that rarely will a reputable kit blow and engine on its own. All forced induction kits do the same thing to some degree; force more air in the engine.

99% of the time the tuning and supporting mods are the cause of major engine failures (along with the fact we have a car that is not designed for FI). I don't know of any kit on the market that is more prone to blow engines in "tuner" form (no EMS, fuel parts, etc.). I say "tuner" form because obviously the out-of-box Procharger is more prone to blow an engine (no timing control with the out-of-box kit). Every kit should have a fuel pump, injectors, and an EMS that controls fuel and timing. If your kit has this (and the OP's kit did), it is all in the tune and amount of power you are putting down.

With that said, something was not right (the power level was not that high). That engine had a major failure, and I would be shocked if it was not related to the tune (I also think you had your car tuned recently? Correct). I also thought someone had said in the DFW forum that Matchless had closed down. Was that not correct?

yes I was the last car they finished up workign on there..tuning and everything....but the issue of him closing is not because he wasnt getting business he was just tired of working in general in that profession along with working 60 hour weeks after he just got married to try and keep the shop up an running.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by g35man04
yes I was the last car they finished up workign on there..tuning and everything....but the issue of him closing is not because he wasnt getting business he was just tired of working in general in that profession along with working 60 hour weeks after he just got married to try and keep the shop up an running.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

My comments were not directed at you, it was in reference to all the "will my car blow up with a Procharger kit" and "Procharger blows more engines that anything else" comments. I am not a fan of Procharger anymore than anything else, but you had the right equipment and did things the right way.

I can't comment on their (Matchless') tuning ability, although all indications are they were decent. I was in there a few times (including a few dyno pulls) and never had any issues with them. I can relate to why he would not want to do the shop any more (although I would put a shop in that building if I had the money right now, and quite my crappy 60 hour a week job-- the grass is always greener on the other side).

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do with your car/engine.

Last edited by jran76; 04-07-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
ToI have the same problem too, when it's warm I got to give it a little gas, I have 550cc injectors with the Utec, by now I figured its normal...I think even though it may or may not be the Procharger, IMO it's the tuning, cause if the procharger is tuned correctly, there shouldn't be any problems, mine is running great!!! Then again, i only got less then 600 miles on mine, not even to 1k yet lol but I'm loving it.

Utec always have problem scaling bigger injector so sometimes idle/Coldstart/Hotstart will be unstable. It is normal for Utec and bigger Injector 5xxcc+ to sometimes pump the gas every now and then when starting the car especially when the car is already warmed up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well My FI Days Have Come To An End.....